Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hunts121

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Massachusetts
I posted before about a hard drive making a clicking sound...so I'm replacing it (no longer using it so hopefully I can recover data as it worked then). I bought a Seagate 100GB 7200 to replace it. Was this a good move? should I have gone with 5400rpm? or is it worth the little bit of extra money? (meaning am I going to notice a difference at all) :confused:

oh its replacing a 4200rpm one

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Umm... value is in the eye of the owner --- the Seagate Momentus 7200 RPM is a fine drive, and if you want the highest speed, then the price may well be a good value for you.

In general, you get a large improvement moving from 4200 to 5400, and a smaller marginal improvement going from 5400 to 7200.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Are you installing it yourself? Post an update afterwards. I'm curious as to how hard it is to install, as I'm about to do the same for my 15" PB.

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
HD replacement

Ive done alot of work on the Powerbooks.
7200 RPM drive is a great buy... faster & bigger size: was a good choice.

Replacing HDs in the Powerbooks is pretty easy if you take your time.
The biggest problem is in kepping the screws of the same size together and back where they should be. :confused:
Use an Ice cube Tray to separate them

Ifixit.com has all the take apart manuals you could need for switching out anything in your computer.
Takes about 45 min - 1 hour.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
What did you pay for the drive? Curious and -- a bit jealous -- that is A GREAT DRIVE.

I could just NOT convince myself it was worth the money for it and got a Hitachi Travelstar 100gb 7200rpm instead.

The Seagate has faster specs than the Hitachi in speed tests, even though they are both 100gig/7200drives.

Good for you. Excellent choice and five year warranty. Let me know the price you paid and how it works out later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.