Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
My powermac g5 will be delivered in the next few days and I'm wondering which version of Tiger I should update (or downgrade) to. I'm guessing it shipped with 10.4.5 since 10.4.6 was just released, but I'm still running 10.4.4 on my current quicksilver. 10.4.5 is probably relatively stable, but I'm just a little weary of it since it seemed to cause my battery to drain faster in sleep mode on my powerbook (so I guess I'm thinking there might be other problems with it). Should I stick with 10.4.4 on my new system or up to to 10.4.5 or 10.4.6?

Also, I plan on doing a clean install of my applications and migrating most of my stuff over manually instead of doing of migration using the migration assistant since I've been wanting to clean up my system and only install the things that I plan on using. Is this anything forseeably wrong with doing this?

Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You won't be able to downgrade the OS plus it's usually a good idea to keep everything up-to-date. I like the idea of a clean file transfer too. :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
When your machine arrives, set it up. Somewhere along the way, run Software Update. It will properly update your Apple-supplied software, including your OS.

Do not attempt to outsmart the system.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I guess I'm not a big fan of being the early adopter since there is a chance that there's a bug that needs to be fixed. Yes, most of the time there are no problems and I'm probably more paranoid that I need to be, but I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry.

In terms of how I'd install 10.4.4, I wouldn't do anything crazy and try to hack an installer or anything. Since I'm planning on repartitioning (I don't think I'll need 160gb just for the main OS partition), I'm going to be doing a clean install of the OS with my Tiger DVD anyways. After that I'd download the 10.4.4 combo updater from Apple and update that way.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
turtlebud said:
I'm going to be doing a clean install of the OS with my Tiger DVD anyways. After that I'd download the 10.4.4 combo updater from Apple and update that way.

If the machine ships with 10.4.5 and your DVD is earlier than that, then no, you won't be doing a clean install with it. :p

It is not possible to install an earlier version of the OS than the mac shipped with. The computer will not boot from the DVD; I've tried. Simply put, you cannot go backwards from whatever the machine ships with. As for .5 as opposed to .6... I'm running .6 and have no problems at all. Not that I see any real improvements, either...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
turtlebud said:
I guess I'm not a big fan of being the early adopter since there is a chance that there's a bug that needs to be fixed. Yes, most of the time there are no problems and I'm probably more paranoid that I need to be, but I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry.

In terms of how I'd install 10.4.4, I wouldn't do anything crazy and try to hack an installer or anything. Since I'm planning on repartitioning (I don't think I'll need 160gb just for the main OS partition), I'm going to be doing a clean install of the OS with my Tiger DVD anyways. After that I'd download the 10.4.4 combo updater from Apple and update that way.
OK, act the Fool. You have been warned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.