Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Ok so my aluminum powerbook is out of warranty,I bought it refurbed from the apple site, not quite 3 years old and now when I hit the power button, nothing happens, from what people say, it's the logic board.
I've bought a bunch of apple computers and had no problems, my 7500 from 96 still works fine!
I think this is a lemon issue though, apple has ibooks from the same era that they offer free logic board replacement, why not the powerbook?
Am I the only one that has an 867 with a bad logic board?
Yeah I could buy the board and try to fix myself or buy a used one and make a "frankenbook" or pay $700 to get it fixed, but it's only worth $600 or so.:(
so should I just eat this? Thanks
daniel

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Just save up for a new computer. You're out of warranty, they have no reason to fix it for free. The logic board issue was specific to g3 iBooks.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
calebjohnston said:
Just save up for a new computer. You're out of warranty, they have no reason to fix it for free. The logic board issue was specific to g3 iBooks.

Ok, but isn't $1400 alot to pay for a computer that lasts less than 3 years?
:confused:
daniel

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, it is. It's insane, but that's how technology works nowadays. Expensive and low quality.

Sorry to hear about it :\

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'd just buy a used board off ebay. They are usually pretty cheap. Or save up for a new computer. As far as $1400 for a computer to last nearly three years seems like a great deal to me. But then again I spend $800 to $900 a year at least on computers. I'm not well off I just don't care about TV's, Car's, Stereo's, or any other high tech devices. Sorry for the rant It's just computers are really cheap now compared to 10+ years ago so $1400 for a laptop to last three years seems like a great deal to me.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Well, to answer the question 'Should Apple pay for this' the answer is no - you've used a refurb for nearly 3 years and you are complaining about it being a lemon?

May my MBP give me 3 solid years before the "lemon" aspects begin showing themselves!

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
fourthtunz said:
Ok, but isn't $1400 alot to pay for a computer that lasts less than 3 years?
:confused:
daniel

Thats not bad at all, think of the poor PC users whose machine is outdated much quicker that that.

Plus do the math 1400 over 3 years is something like $1.27 per day, not a bad deal at all.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Every now and then you're going to get a computer, or television, or car, that will break seemingly "just after the warrantee expires"...

It's unfortunate, but Apple can't be held to blame. Especially when there are thousands and thousands of PowerBook 867s that still work fine.

The only time it's a serious issue for Apple is if a particular model is prone to failure, such as the iBook G3 - in which case Apple does replace the parts at their cost.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
velocityg4 said:
I'd just buy a used board off ebay. They are usually pretty cheap. Or save up for a new computer. As far as $1400 for a computer to last nearly three years seems like a great deal to me. But then again I spend $800 to $900 a year at least on computers. I'm not well off I just don't care about TV's, Car's, Stereo's, or any other high tech devices. Sorry for the rant It's just computers are really cheap now compared to 10+ years ago so $1400 for a laptop to last three years seems like a great deal to me.

Yeah, i could have gotten a board for $200 or so but putting it in, have you seen the directions for that sort of thing?:eek:
I've spent quite a bit on macs the last couple of years and 10's of thousands for studio gear in the last 15 years or so and never had anything that was totally unusable in less than 3 years. I guess I should consider myself lucky:confused:
The only thing in my studio with that much depreciation has to be my Protools rig, but that has paid for itself many times over.
peace
daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.