Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i wonder how easy it is to break one of those and lose all your data

Will Jones

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2002
I seriously doubt that they will be as thin as a credit card.
Howard raises a good point. I don't think that would be easily snapped/broken in half, but the drives must be reasonably fragile.

TheInevitable

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Arizona
Even so, for $15 bucks for a card, just back up your data often and you'll be fine. If marketed right, I think these things could become VERY popular.

Will Jones

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2002
Originally posted by TheInevitable
Even so, for $15 bucks for a card, just back up your data often and you'll be fine. If marketed right, I think these things could become VERY popular.

Where IBM went wrong with their Microdrives, perhaps?

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by Durandal7
An iPod just bigger than a credit card, that'll be the day.

Only the card is credit-card size - they didn't say how big the reader is. Probably the reader is iPod-size anyway. Still tiny for a hard drive, but essentially we're just talking about a Zip drive except much smaller and with much larger capacity (eventually).

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by evoluzione
so take a look at http://www.storcard.com and you'll see that the reader is pcmcia, and also the cards/drives are somewhat flexible with no loss of data.....

Sweet! Then theoretically they should be able to make the iPod quite a bit thinner with this technology, if they can fit both the card and reader into a PCMCIA card...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.