Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatWasAwkward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Is there any way to, as the title suggests, transfer files between the partitions? From OSX the WinXP partition is Read Only, and from WinXP you can't even see the OSX partition. If I had an external HD I could always send stuff to there from one partition, reboot, and then bring the stuff back onto the other partition... but I don't have an external HD. Any suggestions?

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
How about MacDrive?
With it, I'm able to read OSX volumes from Windows. Maybe that'll work on the MBP as well, so you'll be able to save all your files on the OSX partition, even if you're working on Windows.

ThatWasAwkward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Hmmm. I'll check that out.
I also just realized that I can just burn the files to a DVD and then get them off of it in the other partition.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
So does MacDrive allow you to move files freely in either direction?

We are looking into getting a MBP or two here at my work and the ability to creat content in either OSX or XP and then transfer it to either OSX or XP is a flexibility we would like to have.

Does MacDrive allow this or is there a different solution?

daveIT

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
AK, USA
Add a FAT32 partition and use that to transfer between the two.

MacDrive will let you read/write to OS X but OS X cannot write to NTFS. Transfer from OS X (HFS) to FAT 32 to NTFS. Kind of a pain in the arse but it works.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Bear in mind that if you are dealing with files larger than 2Gb, then FAT32 will be useless as it cannot handle files over that size.

If it is just a one-off transfer of files >2Gb, perhaps use some cheap DVDs? That is what I do.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
There are relatively few individual files larger than 2 Gb.

The other easy way is to use a USB memory keychain -- they are almost always are FAT32 formatted out of the gate. This is less expensive than MacDrive and easier than re-partitioning a hard drive.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
if macdrive can let xp read/write osx, could i just save the files in the osx partition and then boot up in xp and pull them in? and vice versa... save files in xp and boot in osx and pull them in that way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.