Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
So I tried running the firmware upgrade with no luck, I read that it is because I followed the old method of having Windows running on my MacBookPro.

I tried running this at boot time as the instructions provided and it won't work:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21240

Anybody know a way (besides wiping my HD) to install BootCamp!? :confused:

LinuxGigolo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
You are most likely going to have to wipe your HD. Apparently the firmware updater won't work if the HD is not partitioned in the way that OS X expects it to be (GUID.. no MBR). I had to deal with this on my iMac here today.. reformatting with the OS X CD (and thus repartitioning) fixed it.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
The firmware update kept failing for me and everytime I went back into OS X it would say it didn't work and tell me to just try again.

So I kept just restarting and restarting and finally on the 6th time it just worked. So maybe if you just keep trying a few times it might work for you too.

sabor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
maverick808 said:
The firmware update kept failing for me and everytime I went back into OS X it would say it didn't work and tell me to just try again.

So I kept just restarting and restarting and finally on the 6th time it just worked. So maybe if you just keep trying a few times it might work for you too.

Had you installed WindowsXP on your MacBook Pro?

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
maverick808 said:

I tried several times and it didn't work, I before and after deleting the XOM file and reselecting my startup disk... maybe if we booted from another firewire disk as the startup disk it might work???

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
sabor said:
Had you installed WindowsXP on your MacBook Pro?

No, my MacBook still had the original OS X installation and I had not installed anything from onmac so no xom or anything.

I was concerned when it kept restarting. It really did take about 5 or 6 times before it worked.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
I just tried booting from my friends iMac to instal the firmware and it still didn't work which kind of surprised me...

MacSyn

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
That's strange! No problem in updating the firmware on my MBP. Only once and success.

theonlyrealj

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2006
Firmware directions vague

So, I updated my firmware and everything went fine. However, I thought the directions were a little vague so let me try to rephrase the directions for installing the firmware update:

1.) Download the update (obviously)
2.) Close everything and open the installer.
3.) Let you machine completely shut down.
4.) If you have the MBP, press and hold the power button until you hear a system sound and the LED on the open button starts flashing like crazy (it's the same LED that glows when you're system is sleeping). Once the flashing happens, let go of the power button. (For the imac and mac mini its the same but the LED is in different spots)
5.) The system shows a little progress bar and there you go!

I hope my explanation isn't more vague than Apple's.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I'm having the same problem. I assume it's because I partitioned my hard drive in a different way. But I'm not really ready to chuck this install just yet :-/ Frig.

Glad to see I'm not the only one having problems.

sabor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
So is there a solution for this? I'm on the road and I do not have the damn MacBook Pro software DVD install...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.