Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Is anyone here into radio control cars? I've been into them for a while, but I just ordered a new Traxxas Bandit today and I think I'm going to really like it.

It's the new one with ESC instead of MSC, so I think it'll be really fun to drive and it supposedly goes around 30 MPH so that will be interesting.

Anyone else into these things? They're addicting. At least it gets me outside. :eek:

:D

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
ITASOR said:
Is anyone here into radio control cars? I've been into them for a while, but I just ordered a new Traxxas Bandit today and I think I'm going to really like it.

It's the new one with ESC instead of MSC, so I think it'll be really fun to drive and it supposedly goes around 30 MPH so that will be interesting.

Anyone else into these things? They're addicting. At least it gets me outside. :eek:

:D
I used to be. Back in like 7th and 8th grade. But even back then, my interest was marginal at most. I forget the name of the car I had but all I know was it was $450 at retail IIRC.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I've built several high-performance electric R/C cars...you can build gas powered ones as well.

IMO it's better to build them, even if it takes some time and effort, because when they inevitably break you'll be able to easily disassemble them and fix what's broken. The prebuilt ones are more difficult to repair.

You can also swap out parts on custom built ones to make them go faster. :)

I currently own a Mini Cooper and a BMW M3, though the mini is significantly tricked out with a modded motor and several other customizations.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
I have an HPI Evo RS4. It was badass for a while. Top speed of 60mph, 2 speeds, 4 wheel drive. It was a lot of fun, but I quickly broke it and its now in pieces in my garage. $400 down the drain. :eek:

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Years ago, I used to race them, in the UK. I had a couple of off-roaders. (not my pics)

The Tamiya Optima:-
IM009904_L12.png

The Schumacher CAT XLS (my favourite one):-

historycatxls.jpg

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Danksi, I really like the buggy style cars. :D Another reason I went with the one I got.

I've considered trying to build one, but all in all, I got a killer deal on the traxxas, so I decided to just take that and run. :D

$160 shipped for the bandit, 1 battery, and 15 minute quick charger. Now I've gotta pick up some more batteries so I can keep a few charged, as I'm sure they run out pretty quickly.

This is my first car that can go off road, I've only had 2 on-road ones before that went somewhere around 25 (not that fast for an on-road I guess).

I'm so excited, I can't wait, good thing I got 1-3 day shipping and a 15 minute charger.

As for being able to repair it, that's the reason I went with Traxxas. The replacement parts and upgrades are quite easy to find.

First, I want to get some "slick" tires so I can do some street driving without the knobby tires getting in the way. How do I know which ones to get?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Years and years ago i used to race my Team Associated Graphite RC10 with a Novak ESC, futaba servos, and a Outlaw motor :) I had a blast racing it! I remember it being a rather expensive hobby, but at the time my parents were paying for it all :D

I used to earn extra money by painting custom shells for the people at the track :p

I still have my RC10 and all its outdated electronics, I once thought to sell it all but given how old it is I doubt it would be worth much :p

Ed

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
No, not cars... planes.
Before I was married I was heavy into it. I had an F15 Eagle that was 8 feet long... went 150 MPH. Not jet powered but twin OS 81's. Cost me a total of $3,000 for the hobby... that includes another few cheaper planes, the usual stuff, and more exotic things like retractable landing gear systems.
Wrecked the Eagle, and not a sissy wreck.
Did an inverted 10 feet over the field at about 100MPH, lost a linkage somewhere. All that was left were the engines and shrouds.

My warning to those thinking about the hobby:

BEWARE! It will suck money from your wallet, and KEEP on sucking like a $2 whore until you are a hollow shell!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.