Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

CompUser

Original poster
This has been annoying me for a while now. I have had 2 powerbooks and this has happened to both. I never bring them anywhere- thats what my iBook is for. I treat this thing like it's worth $1,000,000,000. Anyone else having this issue with their powerbook/macbook.

P1010005.jpg

C

CompUser

Original poster
puckhead193 said:
someone must have been playing around with it and bumped it.....

I don't understand how something like this would happen though. Its not dented and if you run your hand across the front of it there is no bump. I didn't hit it, or drop it, or in any way apply pressure on it that I can think of. I had a similar thing happen to my other powerbook only on the left side above the connectors.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Yeah the same thing happened to me, even before I dropped my and dented it. :( :mad:

I was going to get it replaced, but when they told me it was going to cost like $400, I was willing to just live with it.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
I noticed this recently and its been bugging the hell outta me. I imagine the heat has caused the lid to warp? :mad:

smalldsc009333pn.jpg

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
^Mines done that too! :( Though I'm pretty sure that even out of the box it didn't sit 100% flush. It annoyed me for a long time, but I just got over it eventually.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Mine fits fine there. The lid however is sitting a bit off when closed. I don't care about when it's closed much, but I think it might affect when it's open a little too.

This is a brand new powerbook after an iBook with a misaligned display too. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
My 12 incher doesn't have that problem, always looks aligned (the actual pixels on the screen look slightly rotated) but the lid is fine.

I think its probably an isolated issue and if you complained loud enough you could have got a replacement ;)

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
My 17" does the same thing as yours... but (thankfully) not as bad. I noticed it the moment I took it out of the box. I am pretending its not there.

Was yours not as bad when you first got it?

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
My Macbook does this as well

I have only had it for about 2-3 weeks. do you think if i bring it back to the store i got it from they will replace it or fix it? here is a pic, sorry for the size of the photo,
andreas

Attachments

• warpingpic.jpg
    warpingpic.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 96

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
lamina said:
My 17" does the same thing as yours... but (thankfully) not as bad. I noticed it the moment I took it out of the box. I am pretending its not there.

My 17" was like that too, right out of the box. At the begining (and still does), it drove me crazy, seeing it crooked when closed.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
blueflame said:
I have only had it for about 2-3 weeks. do you think if i bring it back to the store i got it from they will replace it or fix it? here is a pic, sorry for the size of the photo,
andreas

I would DEFINITELY go see about that. It doesn't look right. It might be hard convincing them (especially after not complaining about it until now) but it almost looks like it was hit. I would at least go see what they could do

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
hmm.

you know it really doesnt look like it was hit in person. honesty, it looks like the caseing wasnt made the right size or something..it does have a tiny watch scratch right about there my watch band caught on this lip, which is how i saw it., but it has certainly never been hit, and if you look at it in person, it really looks like a warp or something.
andreas
Peyton said:
I would DEFINITELY go see about that. It doesn't look right. It might be hard convincing them (especially after not complaining about it until now) but it almost looks like it was hit. I would at least go see what they could do

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
Peyton said:
My 12 incher doesn't have that problem, always looks aligned (the actual pixels on the screen look slightly rotated) but the lid is fine.

I think its probably an isolated issue and if you complained loud enough you could have got a replacement ;)

My guess is even your 12 incher has a minor problem like that but because it a lot smaller it does not show it head as easily.

As people are pointing out it the larger one showing this problem. And it is impossible to make everything exactly right time and time again. Everything has to have a tolarnce on them and the tolarnce I guessing is at the hinges and there allow hieght diffence. Problem is the farther you get way from it the more noticible it gets. 12 inch it does not have that long to be come visal but when you go to 17 inch the same diffence is much much more noticble.

To top it the larger one changes more to the same amount of heat being add per cubic ft. More metal to deflect.

So that covers a engineery answer to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.