Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Mac NN is saying iLife will be delayed.

"MacNN reports that Apple may delay the release of iLife, its suite of four digital hub applications due to problems with GM "Golden Master" of the iLife CD. The $50 package will reportedly not be available for sale as anticipated on Saturday, January 25th (and the new release date was not yet known)."

http://www.macnn.com/

I have my doubts with this and i have my reasons why i feel this wont happen. Not allowed to say why I doubt this but I guess we will have to wait and see. If it is delayed I hope we can play with the free software for download. Maybe the CD's got screwed up in dupeing. Hope not, I have lots of customers waiting for this. They got two days to get to me.

iJon

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Sounds like only a CD error, which would make me believe that Apple can have at least a moderate amount of discs published in a short amount of time and ship them off right away. I wouldn't figure this to set them back very far, though I expect to see limited availability on shipping.

Dan

imaswitcheryeah

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
As long as iMovie 3 and iPhoto 2 are available for download, this doesn't matter to me.

I'm one of those "unfortunate souls" who opted out of springing for a superdrive. I figured, if I want to burn dvd's sometime in the future, then I'll get a nice one that may even be faster than the superdrive I did without. Everything will be just dandy with the other mirrored drive door:D filled, and iDVD at my disposal.

But, wait a minute...

I can't use iDVD unless I bought my computer with the superdrive?? No 3rd-party dvd burner support?? Is this true with iDVD 3?

Dare I say it... sounds like something Microsoft would do... :eek:

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by imaswitcheryeah
I can't use iDVD unless I bought my computer with the superdrive?? No 3rd-party dvd burner support?? Is this true with iDVD 3?

Dare I say it... sounds like something Microsoft would do... :eek:
this has always been true. although desktop people could add the same drive apple uses and be set. sorry about you laptop users.

iJon

richlen

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2002
iDVD and non-Apple Superdrives

iDVD has always worked with none Apple superdrives as Apple doesnt make them, they are just Pioneer drives stuck in an Apple computer. There appears to be no change in firmware or anything that identifies them as Apple branded drives. I just bought a 4X Pioneer DVR 105 (the successor to the 2X 104 Apple ships as the Super Drive) and it works fine...Apple released support for this drive in the last OSX update. If iDVD 3 were to do something to not allow non-Apple installed superdrives to work then Apple would have to change all superdrive firmware as well as the OS.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Re: iLife to be Delayed?

Originally posted by iJon
Mac NN is saying iLife will be delayed.

"MacNN reports that Apple may delay the release of iLife, its suite of four digital hub applications due to problems with GM "Golden Master" of the iLife CD. The $50 package will reportedly not be available for sale as anticipated on Saturday, January 25th (and the new release date was not yet known)."

http://www.macnn.com/

I have my doubts with this and i have my reasons why i feel this wont happen. Not allowed to say why I doubt this but I guess we will have to wait and see. If it is delayed I hope we can play with the free software for download. Maybe the CD's got screwed up in dupeing. Hope not, I have lots of customers waiting for this. They got two days to get to me.

iJon
Not really a big deal when you consider how great these apps are allready. I dont mind waiting, Hey Ijon you work at a apple store or apple reseller?

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Re: iDVD and non-Apple Superdrives

Originally posted by richlen
iDVD has always worked with none Apple superdrives as Apple doesnt make them, they are just Pioneer drives stuck in an Apple computer. There appears to be no change in firmware or anything that identifies them as Apple branded drives. I just bought a 4X Pioneer DVR 105 (the successor to the 2X 104 Apple ships as the Super Drive) and it works fine...Apple released support for this drive in the last OSX update. If iDVD 3 were to do something to not allow non-Apple installed superdrives to work then Apple would have to change all superdrive firmware as well as the OS.
I do the same thing with iDVD2 on my Blue & White and a Pioneer DVR-104.

But Apple could, very easily screw me out of iDVD3. All they would have to do is check id of the machine and compare it to a table of machines that could have shipped with a superdrive. That would effectively lock out any PowerMac produced before the superdrive models came out.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Oh - and as I posted in another thread - the Apple rep at my local CompUSA would not talk to me about whether or not iDVD3 would work on my machine and told me that I was "already breaking the rules" by running iDVD2 on my machine.
:rolleyes:

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Re: Re: iDVD and non-Apple Superdrives

Originally posted by eric_n_dfw

I do the same thing with iDVD2 on my Blue & White and a Pioneer DVR-104.

But Apple could, very easily screw me out of iDVD3. All they would have to do is check id of the machine and compare it to a table of machines that could have shipped with a superdrive. That would effectively lock out any PowerMac produced before the superdrive models came out.

But why would Apple want to do that? It ain't Microsh*ttybangbang or the RIAA here you know...

irmongoose

agengler

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2001
my shipping date is now 2/11

Well I tend to believe it's true. My shipping date is now 2/11 and I placed my order 1/16.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
You can't run iDVD on hardware they don't support for a couple reasons. The primary is that they want control of the user experience. To go along with this and to reply to the person saying this is more like Microsoft. Think about what your saying. When could you run OSX or OS9 on non Apple hardware? The answer is never. Even the Apple-Compatibles (motorola, etc.) had to use an Apple chipset.

The other reason they are trying to prevent the use of iDVD on other hardware is that iDVD is a pay program and always has been. Yes it comes on new Macs with the DVD burner built in but the price of it is included in the price of the computer. They do not offer it as a free download and therefore if you are using it on non supported hardware you STOLE IT.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
Originally posted by MacBandit
Yes it comes on new Macs with the DVD burner built in but the price of it is included in the price of the computer. They do not offer it as a free download and therefore if you are using it on non supported hardware you STOLE IT.

I bought a Quicksilver 867 a few months ago (cheap edu pricing after the MDD G4 came out) and I ordered it with a CD-RW drive. When I booted up into OS X, there was iDVD sitting in my dock. So if I buy a Pioneer DVD-R drive, I have not stolen iDVD. Apple gave it to me (and it is also on the restore CD's that came with my G4.) Did they give me the wrong software?

ngrandy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2003
What does this mean for iMacs?

There was a lot of speculation that tomorrow would see iMac updates. Does the iLife delay mean those might be delayed longer? Is anybody actually sure that iMac updates are coming soon?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Arcady

I bought a Quicksilver 867 a few months ago (cheap edu pricing after the MDD G4 came out) and I ordered it with a CD-RW drive. When I booted up into OS X, there was iDVD sitting in my dock. So if I buy a Pioneer DVD-R drive, I have not stolen iDVD. Apple gave it to me (and it is also on the restore CD's that came with my G4.) Did they give me the wrong software?

No you are correct and I had forgotten that one little loophole. All PowerMacs come with iDVD.

imaswitcheryeah

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by MacBandit
You can't run iDVD on hardware they don't support for a couple reasons. The primary is that they want control of the user experience. To go along with this and to reply to the person saying this is more like Microsoft. Think about what your saying. When could you run OSX or OS9 on non Apple hardware? The answer is never. Even the Apple-Compatibles (motorola, etc.) had to use an Apple chipset.

The other reason they are trying to prevent the use of iDVD on other hardware is that iDVD is a pay program and always has been. Yes it comes on new Macs with the DVD burner built in but the price of it is included in the price of the computer. They do not offer it as a free download and therefore if you are using it on non supported hardware you STOLE IT.

OK... first of all, my computer has no superdrive. That we already know. My computer came with iDVD installed. It was in the dock when I first booted and it's in my applications folder. Why is that? Did I get it for free? Did I steal it??? Um, I don't think I did:confused:

Let's say I buy iLife(iDVD, cause that's all I'm really buying). Then I go and buy a non-apple pioneer burner, the supported one that's faster. (someone mentioned they bought the faster pioneer and its supported earlier in the thread) Now, your saying I stole iDVD? I don't know, I guess your reply really didn't make much sense to me cause obviously I wouldn't be able to use iDVD on something that it doesn't support. (UNLESS, you meant I'm some crazy hacker who programmed a work around to make iDVD work with any burner I choose... even though I bought iLife.:confused: PLEASE clear this up man. My brain hurts....)

EDIT: OK, you forgot the loophole...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Sorry I should have worded that differently. Obviously you could buy iDVD when iLife comes out and not have stolen it. But you are missing something. You and everyone else who has iDVD did buy it. It was in the purchase price of your computer.

imaswitcheryeah

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Apple eNews

Did anybody get the Apple eNews-letter?

And I quote...

To burn photos to a CD or DVD, run Software Update and install Mac OS X v10.2.2 or later. Burning photos to a DVD in iDVD requires a Mac with a SuperDrive or other DVD-burning drive.

This is a direct cut and paste from a note under the iPhoto 2 part of the email. Could this mean that iDVD 3 will support other drives other than Superdrives (Pioneers)??

If anyone didn't get it I'll gladly foward it, just ask...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Apple eNews

Originally posted by imaswitcheryeah
Did anybody get the Apple eNews-letter?

And I quote...

To burn photos to a CD or DVD, run Software Update and install Mac OS X v10.2.2 or later. Burning photos to a DVD in iDVD requires a Mac with a SuperDrive or other DVD-burning drive.

This is a direct cut and paste from a note under iPhoto 2 part of the email. Could this mean that iDVD 3 will support other drives other that Superdrives (Pioneers)??

If anyone didn't get it I'll gladly foward it, just ask...

It's not supposed to support any additional drives but it could be a surprise thing and the reason why they are releasing it as a separate (from a computer purchase) purchasable program.

tterbo

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by Bear
I ordered iLife 1/7, and my shipping date is On or before 02/05/2003.

IDVD FOR ME WILL BE SHIPPED 1/30 OR BEFORE. ORDERED 1/21

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.