Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Flight Global is reporting that Airline in-flight entertainment system providers are exploring additional features to occupy its customers while flying.

Panasonic Avionics reveals that there has been a lot of interest in providing iTunes services to their customers during a flight. This would allow passengers to browse and download iTunes songs in-flight to their iPods.

While Apple is aware of the interest, the concept would require special modifications to the iTunes software to allow users to then sync those songs back with their home computer. International licensing issues are also an ongoing issue. Apple refused to comment about this potential option, but talks are reported ongoing.

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
I'm surprised record stores aren't pushing for that also.

I wish I had a pound/dollar for times I've been at a railway station or airport with a long journey ahead and am bored of my ipod contents.

It would be so cool to pop in to a store and update it with some funky new music that I could keep. :)

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Interesting concept, but it seems like there would be too many loop holes and complications. But I would be all for it.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
Wow. I really doubt Apple saw this coming when they made the iPod as a portable music player...not a portable music PORTAL. I mean, really, I guess if there is a demand that's all it takes, but can't you just take your iPod with the music you want in it on to the plane? Lol..that's what it was built for.

deadturtle

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
I can see it now

Some wise guy hacks his ITMSinAir to the intercom. 'Soundtracks' the entire flight. Something like the track from Scream for takeoff, Sweet Home Alabama for the irony, a little techno to drive non-tech heads crazy, a little country to drive the rockers mad and a little rap to get everyone else. Something operatic for the landing! It would give a whole new meaning to 'hijacking' a plane!

mymacluvsme said:
I just wish they would get more internet access available on flights. Or at least power ports. sheesh- some airlines still don't even have that.

They have those? Which flights? I've never seen one, but I normally take bottom of the barrel flights. Easy power in airports would be nice too, while we are on the subject!

Feb 27, 2006
inflight opportunities for iPods and iTMS

Heaps of scope to add iPod integration to the inflight experience...I'd start with

1/ charging
2/ capability to connect 5G to screens on back of seats so you could view your iPod content on the bigger screen

ability to purchase would be nice but I don't see the whole international issue as significant - as long as you have a valid iTMS account then it doesn't matter where I am when I make the purchase - I can't see how that would change with in flight

Bring it on i say - starting with Qantas please Mr Jobs

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
Hhmmm, it's an interesting concept but as aircraft don't always fly return routes it would probably need some kind of country independant iTunes model that everyone could download from and I suspect that the greedy mutton heads at the record companies wouldn't wear it.
I do think that, as Macca posted above, an input socket on the seatback screens allowing you to plumb in your iPod video to the bigger screen is an excellent idea and would be well worth putting to the poeple who manufacture these systems.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
I like the idea to be able to plug in my 5th gen ipod and see the video on the seats screens!

Also dont really see what the big deal is, you would have to have a acount first, so why not simple let someone buy a song as if they were in their own country, with appropraite taxes ect?? Have your seat be a little part of your own country while you purchase the song.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I think it would be cool to have unlimited, but temporary, access to the iTunes store.

Consider it. Plug in your headphones and sample everything the iStore has to offer. Free of charge, or some premium attached to the flight (first class, etc). You don't get to keep any of it, though.

There's a ton of music on the iTunes store that I'd love to listen to, but not all of it I'm willing to pay 99 cents to actually commit to buying. Here's a chance to try-before-you-buy. They could let you bookmark the songs you liked, and later when you log in from a land-line, you can purchase all those bookmarked tracks.

It's a compromise with the unlimited-subscription model, but here's a venue where it would actually be practical. You're stuck on the plane for a few hours, so here's a prime opportunity where they've captured your attention. Not charging means skirting the tax and country boundary issues. It's very short term, by definition, which limits the amount of abuse it will get. I'm sure you'll get the unscrupulous few who will bring recording devices and try to rip off the store, but in a setting where you're paying hundreds of dollars for entry (e.g. the plane ticket), all your devices are being monitored (airport security), and you're only accessing it for a few hours anyway, a lot of these concerns are mitigated.

I'd use it.

Heck, they should do the same thing at Apple Stores!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't see how you would browse or shop effectively without a full iTunes interface and keyboard. Searching and browsing on my iPod would drive me mad. But maybe offering this to laptop users, or offering a limited shopping experience or something.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
notjustjay said:
I think it would be cool to have unlimited, but temporary, access to the iTunes store.

Consider it. Plug in your headphones and sample everything the iStore has to offer. Free of charge, or some premium attached to the flight (first class, etc). You don't get to keep any of it, though.

There's a ton of music on the iTunes store that I'd love to listen to, but not all of it I'm willing to pay 99 cents to actually commit to buying. Here's a chance to try-before-you-buy. They could let you bookmark the songs you liked, and later when you log in from a land-line, you can purchase all those bookmarked tracks.

It's a compromise with the unlimited-subscription model, but here's a venue where it would actually be practical. You're stuck on the plane for a few hours, so here's a prime opportunity where they've captured your attention. Not charging means skirting the tax and country boundary issues. It's very short term, by definition, which limits the amount of abuse it will get. I'm sure you'll get the unscrupulous few who will bring recording devices and try to rip off the store, but in a setting where you're paying hundreds of dollars for entry (e.g. the plane ticket), all your devices are being monitored (airport security), and you're only accessing it for a few hours anyway, a lot of these concerns are mitigated.

I'd use it.

Heck, they should do the same thing at Apple Stores!

Now this idea I like!!! I really think with a nice toutch pad interface it could be really cool to see this on a plane. Have access to the itunes library, and be able to view certain movies as well. Wont be able to buy but the airlines provide a ton of content to their passangers and apple gets some free advertising and maybe a ipod sale at the end of the flight. win win situation all round!

andrewcod

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2005
There really isn't enough reason to do this, since many airlines already offer ways to listen to a variety of music in-flight. Take Singapore Airlines for instance. They have over 250 complete albums which anyone, in any class, can listen to. This collection is constantly updated with new songs from big-name artists, and best of all - its free to listen to the whole song, and you can even build your own playlists from the tracks provided. Now compare this with the proposed scheme with iTMS integration. Why would anyone want to pay so that they can access these same tracks? Also consider that even people without iTMS accounts can use the free system, whereas the iTMS system is only available to a relatively limited audience. So I ask you once again - is there really any reason anyone would want to pay to access an inferior service?

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I like the idea of listening to music unlimited, but not being able to purchase anything. I wonder what Apple would make of that kind of strain on their servers. The airliners would have to pay them a subscription to counter-balance this.

It would certainly be the most sensible way of doing it. Country boundaries, tax, all get in the way.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I think they should just let everyone on the airplane listen (not download) to any full length song in the iTMS for free. (of course the airline would have to pay Apple) :p

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
EricNau said:
I think they should just let everyone on the airplane listen (not download) to any full length song in the iTMS for free. (of course the airline would have to pay Apple) :p

I really doubt that airlines woudn't find a way to make you pay... :rolleyes: ;)

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Weird idea...

Are they saying that they would replicate the entire iTMS library on each and every plane? That must be many terabytes of data. Imagine how long it would take to sync...plus long flights already have on-demand consoles. Does anybody here really want to buy music while flying?

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Apple already get free advertising when flight attendants ask you to turn off phones laptops and iPods.

I suppose if the airline picked up the bill ie charged the passenger direct from their credit card, that would get over the iTMS account problem. As for material there is no reason why US airlines couldnt offer the US store, UK airlines the UK store. People who dont like to buy music but wouldnt mind a browse could compile a wish list during the flight and have it saved either to their iTMS account which they access back "on land" or perhaps to give the airlines max benefit, the airline could email it to them - along with some marketing material of their own of course.

I hope it takes off because I have stocks in a company that has an inflight internet product and it has bombed so bad it is unbelievable, but maybe this could resurrect it :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.