Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Ok, so I bought a new 7200rpm hard drive for my powerbook. Hopefully it will get here tomorrow. My question is this, once I take out the original drive, how do I restore all of the data? Isnt there an option in disk utility to "restore from", I think I have seen it. Anyways, my old drive will be in a USB enclosure, so booting from it will not be possible. I know you can insert the osx disk during bootup and you can start disk utility from there. Any help would be great, as I really cannot be without my powerbook that long.

Thanks!!!!

Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
I really do not want to pay for something I do not have to though. Doesn't osx have a restore tab that I can just say, restore to this hd, from that hd? It is in disk utility when you boot from the cd.

Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
just figured it would be easier just to clone the disk, and I have heard of some problems using migration assistant

Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Well finished the upgrade before I left for vacation. Worked out well, I can see a huge difference in apps like photoshop or iphoto, and browsing in finder is a lot faster too. Turns out, I just bought an mobile external hard drive at staples, plopped my old drive in it, and used the "restore" feature from the os x DVD. Then I just returned the external hard drive after I was done. I have seen a small decrease in battery life, but turning off bluetooth fixes that. If I were to have the choice to do it again, I would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.