Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
I just got one of the new 10 dollar bills today...

god what a mess. It would take too long to pick apart what's wrong with this, looks like over 100 different people designed it. I'm surprised they didn't sell off the small amount of negative space left (like the odd white oval on the back) as ad space. Can anybody in the US Government design? This is by far the worth design they have ever come up with. :rolleyes: I know they have their reasons but that not an excuse for poor design. It's not like they can't afford it.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
ATD said:

god what mess. It would take too long to pick apart what's wrong with this, looks like over 100 different people designed it. I'm surprised they didn't sell off the small amount of negative space left (like the odd white oval on the back) as ad space. Can anybody in the US Government design? This is by far the worth design they have ever come up with. :rolleyes: I know they have their reasons but that not an excuse for poor design. It's not like they can't afford it.

it's designed like that to prevent counterfeiting.

When I saw it at the Fed, the president was really excited about it. He showed us a pre-production $10 bill back in october, IIRC.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
katie ta achoo said:

it's designed like that to prevent counterfeiting.

When I saw it at the Fed, the president was really excited about it. He showed us a pre-production $10 bill back in october, IIRC.

I do understand why they created a asymmetrical design, however it's still ugly. :rolleyes:

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
That is why I like canadian $ bills. Its crisp and the different colors make it easy to tell what is what. Its also very secure.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Ha. :D

I mean, is your cash made from paper or plastic? Our notes are plastic so they can't really break, no matter how you treat them. I was shown some American money recently and it was paper. I dunno how old it was, but it wasn't very durable.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
mad jew said:
Are you guys still using paper money?

Unfortunately, yea. I wish we could use that polymer that you guys use! (aussies)
and that ROCKING clear window? HECK YEA!

I don't really like american currency. Too easily counterfeited.
I love Euro bills. I absolutely love them. Different colors, different bill lengths, HOLOGRAMS.

*sigh*
I don't like US currency.

edit to add:
FWIW, US money isn't paper. It's cotton and linen.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
katie ta achoo said:

Serious? How retro. That's just plain cool. :p

Yeah, I can't imagine having to look after money because it might disintegrate or tear. That'd suck. :(

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
mad jew said:
Ha. :D

I mean, is your cash made from paper or plastic? Our notes are plastic so they can't really break, no matter how you treat them. I was shown some American money recently and it was paper. I dunno how old it was, but it wasn't very durable.

Still paper, or in this case toilet paper.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
ATD said:
Still paper, or in this case toilet paper.

It's a counterfeit protection measure. They didn't purposefully make it look bad, just to offend you. It's to protect you. They have to get redesigned every 5 to 7 years, to keep ahead of the counterfeiters. Even though old tender is still legal, it gets removed fro circulation slowly.

If I were in charge of printing money, I would use a different type entirely, like the Euro of the Australian dollar.

The way it is now (same paper, same size for all bills) it's all too easy to bleach a $1 bill and print a $20 on it.

Stupid Federal Reserve won't listen to me.. :D

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Ah memories :)

Sorry for the large pictures. But this money, the pre euro Dutch guilders were nice and colorful.

10g68vz.jpg

10g97vz.jpg

25g89vz.jpg

50g82vz.jpg

100g77vz.jpg

100g92vz.jpg

250g85vz.jpg

1000g72vz.jpg

1000g94vz.jpg

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
mad jew said:
Your insight on the matter has me worried. :p

How do you think I paid for all my Apple products? :D
:rolleyes:

(I'm a currency nerd. and an economics nerd. And a federal reserve nerd)

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
cc bcc said:
Ah memories :)

Sorry for the large pictures. But this money, the pre euro Dutch guilders were nice and colorful.

Some of those are nice, like the 50s and 100s.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
ATD said:
god what a mess. It would take too long to pick apart what's wrong with this, looks like over 100 different people designed it. I'm surprised they didn't sell off the small amount of negative space left (like the odd white oval on the back) as ad space.
Good idea! It could be a fundraiser!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I for one, really like the new design. It matches the $20 & $50 bills nicely. I also like how each bill is becoming a slightly different hue.

The one thing that bothers me is that US money never matches itself. It takes so long to update each bill, by the time the entire line is finished, they have to start all over again. :rolleyes:
And we keep updating it so often (to supposedly protect against counterfeiting), that it's stupid. If I were a counterfeiter, and the US had just come out with the new $10 bill, I would just counterfeit the old bill, and it would be a good 3-5 years before anyone suspected anything.

Why can't the US come up with a good design (like the ones they have now), come out with them all at once ($1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100) and just keep them for at least 10-15 years?

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
ATD said:
I'm surprised they didn't sell off the small amount of negative space left (like the odd white oval on the back) as ad space.

There is probably a watermark in that white oval...no?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Electro Funk said:
There is probably a watermark in that white oval...no?

Yeah, there is. It's a little to the right, IIRC.
(My only experience with the bill has been at the Federal Reserve when the guy handed it to me in October; my memory may be fuzzy)

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
madjew, I never use cash I always use debit cards so in my case money is plastic to me, I don't even know what all the new bills look like, although I have seen the 20...:rolleyes:

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
katie ta achoo said:

I am sorry to say Katie but US money is made out of paper. There are dozens of ways to make paper; some sources for it are: wood, flux, linen, papyrus, rugs, cotton even bamboo and grass clippings, but it is still a paper. Practically anything that contains the cellulose can be used to make paper.

Cotton is good for printing money because of its hight durability. Currently there is only one mill that supplies US Treasury with substrate for money and that is Crane & Co. They also make cotton paper for commercial use, though with different ingredients. I believe there are only two people who actually know the proper ingredients of US banknotes. :D

EDIT: I don't like the look of the new 10 dollar bill. >$10>BORING<$10<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.