Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xdarkangelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
So, my 12 inch Powerbook G4 picked the perfect time to die, during my last three weeks of college. By the end of this month I have so many writing projects to complete it's not even funny.

I need a new laptop asap, but since this is not a planned purchase I do not have the funds to really play around with.

I purchased my first Powerbook in 2004. I bought it with the intention of using Final Cut. Now, that I am finishing with school I mainly used my Powerbook to work with Final Draft.

My question to everyone is will I notice a huge difference between my Powerbook and an IBook? I think to save on cash I will go with the 12 inch Ibook, but is that not a worthy purchase? Would it be better to stick with what I know?

I have about 10gb of music backed up from my Powerbook will the Ibook not run as well with a music library of that size?

Even though I have been a Mac owner for the past 2 years I am still not the most up to date on all their products, so any advice would be wonderful.

Thank you! :)

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
My own iBook runs fine with over 35 gigs of music on an external drive. It's a perfectly capable machine - keep in mind that for quite some time, people have noted that the 12" PowerBook hasn't really had <i>that</i> much of a performance advantage over the iBook, especially before 5400rpm drives.

If it were me, I'd use campus labs to finish out the semester and get an Intel laptop as soon as they come out, but if you really do have to get a laptop NOW, I think the iBook's a good call.

(Alternately, you could get a super-cheap Windows desktop which will be perfectly fine for finishing out the semester, and save your dough for a MacBook.)

plarusa

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
xdarkangelle said:
So, my 12 inch Powerbook G4 picked the perfect time to die, during my last three weeks of college. By the end of this month I have so many writing projects to complete it's not even funny.

I need a new laptop asap, but since this is not a planned purchase I do not have the funds to really play around with.

I purchased my first Powerbook in 2004. I bought it with the intention of using Final Cut. Now, that I am finishing with school I mainly used my Powerbook to work with Final Draft.

My question to everyone is will I notice a huge difference between my Powerbook and an IBook? I think to save on cash I will go with the 12 inch Ibook, but is that not a worthy purchase? Would it be better to stick with what I know?

I have about 10gb of music backed up from my Powerbook will the Ibook not run as well with a music library of that size?

Even though I have been a Mac owner for the past 2 years I am still not the most up to date on all their products, so any advice would be wonderful.

Thank you! :)

Stick with the PB/IB for now. Its performance is sufficient for college use, plus the battery life is outstanding by any notebook standard. The MBP could potentially become an excellent notebook, but still has a number of significant problems. I would wait for the next generation before purchasing one.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
No, there will only be a tiny difference. In fact, the Radeon 9550 is more powerful than a Go5200 so you will notice better performance in graphically demanding apps. :)

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
What exactly is the specs of the now dead ibook?? Given the age I would asume that a new ibook would be faster in almost every way!

But i like the idea of holding of for a new intel macbook.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Lollypop said:
What exactly is the specs of the now dead ibook?? Given the age I would asume that a new ibook would be faster in almost every way!

But i like the idea of holding of for a new intel macbook.

Judging by his post, he simply can't wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.