Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Hey guys, a bit of an odd question, but here goes.

I recently aquired a 40inch LCD TV, and want to know whether it is possible to use it as a monitor for my 12in powerbook bought in may 2005, eventually I would like to use my powerbook in clamshell mode with a BT KB and mouse, however my concern at the moment is how I am supposed to connect the two machines. The only cables I have are those that come with my powerbook, so what else do i need?

Also, is it actually going to look any good on this screen, could my powerbook run a screen that big?

Here's a link to the TV ive got:

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Televisions/+Televisions+/LCD/230221062/Product.aspx

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
i have a 15" powerbook and a 40" sony lcd hd flat panel tv and have managed to connect the two devices quite successfully through various means. i normally connect using the dvi-to-vga adaptor that came with my powerbook and then just a normal vga cable. this is ideal for me since my tv has a vga input. but i've also done it using s-video. i know the 12" powerbook has support for s-video, and it appears that your television has an s-video port on it. in order to connect through this method, it looks as if you'll need to purchase the "S-video and composite video output using mini-DVI to video adapter" accessory that is sold separately by apple. and then just a normal s-video cable. your powerbook should be able to function just fine at that resolution. apple lists it as being able to support up to 2048 x 1536, and your television appears to be 1366 x 768. so in that respect you should be fine. hope this helps. best of luck. :cool:

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
exeterbohemian said:
i normally connect using the dvi-to-vga adaptor that came with my powerbook and then just a normal vga cable. this is ideal for me since my tv has a vga input

Thanks for the reply

would this be a better way of connecting than with s-video, i don't really have a clue to these things. Seeing as though your TV seems to be similar to mine in terms of specs, any chance mine might have a vga connecter too?

I saw this on the apple website, would this work?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...Rz3C81VlIJdV8/2.PSLID?mco=CC8334E4&nplm=TC012

Also, is it possible to run a BT KB and mouse from a powerbook that is in clamshell mode? or does the bluetooth cut off when the powerbook lid id closed?

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
that monster cable looks like it should work just fine. essentially it's using the s-video connectivity from the mini-dvi port on the powerbook and integrating the audio in the same cable, converting it from your powerbook's stereo mini-jack into the more tv-friendly red/white rca-plugs. so by all means, that cable looks perfect.

regarding the wireless mouse and keyboard and running in clamshell mode, if you go into system preferences and select the bluetooth tab, there's an option about allowing bluetooth devices to wake the computer. so essentially, with your powerbook up and running and connected to the tv, simply close the lid. the computer will go to sleep, but only until you activate your bluetooth peripherals. when you turn on the mouse and keyboard, the computer will wake up and run just like normal, except with the lid closed and the video output being displayed on the tv.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
another question:

With the TV and powerbook connected, will i be able to watch proper high def TV downloaded from the internet (movie trailers from apple etc), as the TV is HD ready?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
student_trap said:
is it actually going to look any good on this screen, could my powerbook run a screen that big?

don't think physical size - look at the resolution. the PBG4 12" will support it natively, but if i remember correctly, because of the resolution, it will need a tweakey programme to get it perfect.

i can't remember the name of it but i know people here know about it, so they may offer up the name..

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
student_trap said:
if i don't do this, what will be different?
The quality will be bad.

Also, do NOT use S-Video if possible. A freind used it so he could play San Andreas on his TV from his laptop, and the quality was pathetic-he couldnt even run San Andreas! The text was all blurry, and the movement was jerky. And don't ask-his laptop is good-3.4GHz Pentium 4; ATi X6-something; 2BG RAM (good in the respect that it is a Windows machine).

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Hi guys just an update, when i checked it all out i found a VGA port on my TV. I bought a cable, connected the two and now all is working fine! Its a great picture. Now I just have to pick up a apple wireless KB and mouse and I'm set!

One thing though, the powerbook even when outputting the maximum resolution that i can select (for the TV), won't fill the entire screen of the tv, is this because the screen is just too wide, or could i get my pb to use every pixel?

Thanks for your advice though, it was very useful

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
student_trap said:
Hi guys just an update, when i checked it all out i found a VGA port on my TV. I bought a cable, connected the two and now all is working fine! Its a great picture. Now I just have to pick up a apple wireless KB and mouse and I'm set!

One thing though, the powerbook even when outputting the maximum resolution that i can select (for the TV), won't fill the entire screen of the tv, is this because the screen is just too wide, or could i get my pb to use every pixel?

Thanks for your advice though, it was very useful
What do you mean that it won't fill the screen. First off, you never explained why you connect the TV to your computer via VGA rather than DVI. Second, I have never seen an HDTV monitor that didn't have numerous settings whose express purpose is to fill the screen. They are as close as your remote control.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
MisterMe said:
What do you mean that it won't fill the screen. First off, you never explained why you connect the TV to your computer via VGA rather than DVI. Second, I have never seen an HDTV monitor that didn't have numerous settings whose express purpose is to fill the screen. They are as close as your remote control.

basically it fills the screen top to bottom, but there is about an inch either side which my powerbook isn't feeding a signal to.

Im not sure whether there is a dvi port on the TV, what does it look like? there is a mini DVI port on my powerbook, and i am currently using mini DVI>VGA adaptor (that came with my powerbook) >VGA extension cable>TV.

MacRumorsReader

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
I hooked up my 12" PB via VGA to my projector once and was able to push a 110" HD image.

I had also ran a few games.

Very Nice to look at. I don't have my 12" anymore so I can't relive those days for you (and take pictures). But it'll work. if you can use the mini-DVI to DVI connector, all the better. The picture will be markedly sharper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.