Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsarrasinjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
western MA
I am looking for a good place to unload a significant collection of DVDs. I really don't seem to repeat watch 99% of them and with Netflix, if I really wanted to see them again I'll just rent them. I was wondering if anyone had any expirience with a reputable seller online that would pay cash for dvds in good condition.

rjgonzales

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Texas
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but I've had decent success with ebay. I've put up "Lot of DVDs" sales up several times ranging anywhere from $200 - $300($5-$10 per dvd) and they have sold everytime. There seems to always be someone looking for bulk DVDs.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
what about half.com? or do you mean bulk selling? not sure on that, though i'd think if your prices were cheap enough, and selection in demand enough, you could sell lots of dvds quickly on half.com...

may be more hassle than you want though

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
jelloshotsrule said:
what about half.com? or do you mean bulk selling? not sure on that, though i'd think if your prices were cheap enough, and selection in demand enough, you could sell lots of dvds quickly on half.com...

may be more hassle than you want though

Isn't Half.com just a subsidiary of eBay?

What about Craigslist?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
floriflee said:
Isn't Half.com just a subsidiary of eBay?

What about Craigslist?

yeah, but it's not an auction, so it works a lot differently... basically, you set up all your items that you have to sell, set prices and say in what condition they are. then you just wait. you'll get an email if someone wants to buy from you. you confirm it, ship it, and you get paid the price + media mail (or other shipping) costs... pretty neat.

jsarrasinjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
western MA
Half.com might have to be the way to go. I'm not a big fan of online auctions but I might consider just unloading them individually on half.

Too bad though, I was really hoping somebody had used some kind of used DVD buying service online so I could get an idea of how it would work out.

slagonnee

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
I've used http://www.djangos.com in the past to sell CDs and DVDs - for store credit however - but they do a consignment thing for cash if you have more than 400 CDs/DVDs to sell.

Most online places usually don't give that great cash prices (better than a pawn shop). I'd look for a place that reimburses shipping costs (usually media mail or UPS ground), if you're selling quite a bit, shipping will eat away at your bottom line.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
slagonnee said:
I've I'd look for a place that reimburses shipping costs (usually media mail or UPS ground), if you're selling quite a bit, shipping will eat away at your bottom line.

definitely a benefit of half.com

and actually, i usually make a bit of profit off the shipping payment.. they pay about 1.85 usually and it only costs maybe a buck or so. all depends of course, but in general i make out a few cents more in the black, which if you are selling a big number would work out well

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
Thought about putting a listing in the Marketplace here? I'm always looking to expand my collection if the right movies come around.

EDIT - You're a Newbie so you can't do that for a while yet. I didn't notice that. Nevermind.

bobsatwork

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Great Site to Sell DVDs

NewtownVideo.com is a great place to Sell DVDs online.

They allow you to sell in bulk. It's not auctions so you know what you can get for each movie, and ship them all in one bulk package.

They are worth checking out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.