Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrspur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Hello,

I've been trying to hold out for as long as possible for an intel Mac, but I've run out of time. I'm a soon-to-graduate student, and my wife is a teacher; we've been using her school-loaned iBook and have fallen in love with these computers. But she is now going on maternity leave and will need to surrender her computer, leaving us computer-less.

Our current needs are simple: word processing, wireless internet (although my wife has started to put together iMovies) - the iBook has been sufficient for our needs thus far.

We're looking at a brand new ("New" isn't important; it just seems to have comparable pricing to refurbs):

- iBook 12", 1.33 Ghz - $869, or

- Powerbook 12", 1.5 Ghz - $1,075

We had just been looking at iBooks, but then found a seemingly good deal on a new Powerbook. Ideally, I would like to sell in approximately 6-9 months in order to upgrade to the intel line (although my wife says she might want to keep it).

Our needs will be met with the iBook, but my question is, do you think I could get a greater, equal, or lower re-sale return if I went with the Powerbook?

What are your recommendations?

Thank you

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Both hold their resale value well, especially with the educational discount you will barely take a hit at all. If you want to play games at all, like the thinner form factor or prefer the aluminum case get the powerbook. If not, buy the ibook. For your uses you will barely notice a speed difference except for load times, since the powerbook has a faster hard drive.

Personally I would go for the ibook. Then as soon as the macbook is released buy that and ebay the ibook.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Honestly, unless you absolutely must have portability over the next few months, I would go for the 17" WS Intel iMac.

$1199 education, brand new, Mac OSX and Windows capabilities, much larger 7200 RPM hard drive, much faster dual core processing, iSight, far better VRAM and a stunning 17" WS display.

The new Intel based MacBooks and smaller MacBookPros are going to be a much better investment for your future portable needs.

The stock 512 MB RAM will get you rolling, but definitely consider adding
at least 1 GB of 3rd party RAM ASAP.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I've read benchmarks that the Radeon 9550 our performs the 5200Go. I'd go with the iBook. You can hack screen spanning if you need it.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I would get the Powerbook because I personally like the keyboard and look of the Powerbook's over the iBooks. But is that isn't that big of a deal, I would just get the iBook and use the extra money and pick up some more ram.

mrspur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks for your feedback. FFTT, I COMPLETELY forgot to mention that portability IS a necessity for the next couple months... My wife is due in <3 weeks and I will be finishing school; we will also be moving on top of that.

I only wish I didn't need something portable, 'cause I would totally snatch up an intel iMac right now...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
mrspur said:
Thank you both for your feedback. I COMPLETELY forgot to mention that portability IS a necessity for the next couple months... My wife is due in <3 weeks and I will be finishing school; we will also be moving on top of that.

I only wish I didn't need something portable, 'cause I would totally snatch up an intel iMac right now...
Have you looked at the Apple refurbs? You might be able to save a few more dollars. I got $846 shipped for a 12" iBook in my state.

thecheda

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Los Angeles
mrspur said:
Hello,

I've been trying to hold out for as long as possible for an intel Mac, but I've run out of time. I'm a soon-to-graduate student, and my wife is a teacher; we've been using her school-loaned iBook and have fallen in love with these computers. But she is now going on maternity leave and will need to surrender her computer, leaving us computer-less.

Our current needs are simple: word processing, wireless internet (although my wife has started to put together iMovies) - the iBook has been sufficient for our needs thus far.

We're looking at a brand new ("New" isn't important; it just seems to have comparable pricing to refurbs):

- iBook 12", 1.33 Ghz - $869, or

- Powerbook 12", 1.5 Ghz - $1,075

We had just been looking at iBooks, but then found a seemingly good deal on a new Powerbook. Ideally, I would like to sell in approximately 6-9 months in order to upgrade to the intel line (although my wife says she might want to keep it).

Our needs will be met with the iBook, but my question is, do you think I could get a greater, equal, or lower re-sale return if I went with the Powerbook?

What are your recommendations?

Thank you

get the pb. ibooks are flimsy.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
thecheda said:
get the pb. ibooks are flimsy.
We have 4 iBooks at my work and they've been tough little buggers. The keyboards aren't the best but they hold up just as well as the PowerBook. Scratches aren't as obvious too.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Having owned both a 12" PB and a 12" iBook I say for simpler needs defnitely go for an iBook.

My iBook runs much cooler (PB got uncomfortably too hot to use at times), better wifi reception, and better battery life.

And congrats on being pregnant! :D

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
I think the key is that if you're intent on picking up a Macbook later, you shouldn't invest anymore into this purchase than you absolutely need to... even if your wife intends on keeping this 'book, it doesn't sounds like the extra 0.17GHz is necessary for what you guys do with it. Save a couple hundred bucks by getting a refurbed iBook and save it for your move, or for the impending macbook.

mrspur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Eidorian said:
Have you looked at the Apple refurbs? You might be able to save a few more dollars. I got $846 shipped for a 12" iBook in my state.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm in California and it comes out to $864 for a refurb (I think). I figure for a little more, I could get one brand new from Amazon ($869 after $100 rebate and $30 credit card offer)...

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Another plus for the PowerBook, if you are going to use it as a desktop hooked to an external monitor, is the DVI output (iBook is VGA only). If that doesn't make a difference to you, then the iBook is a great deal. I have a PowerBook because of the DVI and the ability to drive a larger external display (the iBook is stuck at 1024x768 unless you use a hack).

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
mrspur said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm in California and it comes out to $864 for a refurb (I think). I figure for a little more, I could get one brand new from Amazon ($869 after $100 rebate and $30 credit card offer)...
Well it's up to you. I'd rather get the lowest price w/o the rebate and credit card offer.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mrspur said:
I figure for a little more, I could get one brand new from Amazon ($869 after $100 rebate and $30 credit card offer)...
And don't forget the A9 discount! (Tax sucks, huh?)

mrspur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
devilot said:
Having owned both a 12" PB and a 12" iBook I say for simpler needs defnitely go for an iBook.

My iBook runs much cooler (PB got uncomfortably too hot to use at times), better wifi reception, and better battery life.

And congrats on being pregnant! :D

Thanks devilot! She's our first and a miracle baby - doctors told us we wouldn't be able to conceive naturally...

I've noticed you've mentioned the heat and reception in your previous posts... Is it really that noticeably bad, like deal-breaker bad? Wireless reception would be important for me.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Eidorian said:
Well it's up to you. I'd rather get the lowest price w/o the rebate and credit card offer.
Yeah, you really can't go wrong either way... if you don't mind waiting and can afford the extra initial $100, then it's worth it to get a new iBook. At the same time, Apple refurbs have a reputation for being quality purchases and some people have been known to get a little extra with their refurb (ie. vidcard upgrades in PowerMacs, ram upgrades, etc.) that wasn't listed.

mrspur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
devilot said:
And don't forget the A9 discount! (Tax sucks, huh?)

I've been using the A9 site religiously for the last 4 days, but still no logo pops up on the Amazon site like they say it's supposed to. If it does so soon, great, as I would love an extra $15 discount, although only $15 (but it all adds up!) If not, I can't wait out longer since we need to purchase REAL soon.

mrspur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Don't know how important this would be, but, the Amazon iBooks come with iLife '05. Would it be that important for it to come with '06?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mrspur said:
Thanks devilot! She's our first and a miracle baby - doctors told us we wouldn't be able to conceive naturally...

I've noticed you've mentioned the heat and reception in your previous posts... Is it really that noticeably bad, like deal-breaker bad? Wireless reception would be important for me.
Aww! How precious! Again, congratulations on such a special blessing.

Well, just to give you an idea of the difference in wifi reception-- from the exact some spot on my desk, my PB struggled to maintain 2 bars of reception. My iBook? The full 4 bars. :p

The heat is particularly noticeable when I was using Photoshop. After a mere 15-20 minutes of non-filter work, just simple touching up of photos, my PB was burning. It literally was very uncomfortable on my forearms and wrists so I left it alone w/ all apps not running until it cooled off enough to use again. I have yet to encounter that same level of heat w/ using my iBook.

That said, I miss how sleek and slim the PB is, and I do love the keyboard more but as a student... the wifi, battery, and heat/comfort of the iBook makes it a winner for me (especially because I have no needs for whatever extra power the PB might offer).

As for the A9 discount-- they changed it a month or so back so you must make sure that you are signed/logged in. Mine usually shows up w/ just one search a day for a few days (maybe a week? maybe fewer days?).

And Eidorian, tax in CA is at least 8%... where I am, it's 8.25% and in some counties it's as high as 8.75%. It adds up when you're dealing w/ purchases close to $1K. :p

:edit: As for iLife '05 vs '06... many users say there aren't that significant of upgrades. I'm fairly sure that you can go through Apple and purchase an upgrade w/ any new computer for $10... but I'm shocked that it wouldn't come w/ '06 just because it is a new computer.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Couldn't you wait until next Tuesday - 18th April? MacWorld UK says there might be MacBooks released that day.

Meanwhile speculation continues to grow that Apple will announce an Intel-powered replacement for its current iBook models, perhaps as soon as next week on the eve of the company's financial announcement on April 19.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=14373

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
devilot said:
Aww! How precious! Again, congratulations on such a special blessing.

Well, just to give you an idea of the difference in wifi reception-- from the exact some spot on my desk, my PB struggled to maintain 2 bars of reception. My iBook? The full 4 bars. :p

The heat is particularly noticeable when I was using Photoshop. After a mere 15-20 minutes of non-filter work, just simple touching up of photos, my PB was burning. It literally was very uncomfortable on my forearms and wrists so I left it alone w/ all apps not running until it cooled off enough to use again. I have yet to encounter that same level of heat w/ using my iBook.

That said, I miss how sleek and slim the PB is, and I do love the keyboard more but as a student... the wifi, battery, and heat/comfort of the iBook makes it a winner for me (especially because I have no needs for whatever extra power the PB might offer).

As for the A9 discount-- they changed it a month or so back so you must make sure that you are signed/logged in. Mine usually shows up w/ just one search a day for a few days (maybe a week? maybe fewer days?).

And Eidorian, tax in CA is at least 8%... where I am, it's 8.25% and in some counties it's as high as 8.75%. It adds up when you're dealing w/ purchases close to $1K. :p

:edit: As for iLife '05 vs '06... many users say there aren't that significant of upgrades. I'm fairly sure that you can go through Apple and purchase an upgrade w/ any new computer for $10... but I'm shocked that it wouldn't come w/ '06 just because it is a new computer.
Well if it's 8-8.75% then a refurb comes in between $863-869

mrspur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
MacSA said:
Couldn't you wait until next Tuesday - 18th April? MacWorld UK says there might be MacBooks released that day.

Meanwhile speculation continues to grow that Apple will announce an Intel-powered replacement for its current iBook models, perhaps as soon as next week on the eve of the company's financial announcement on April 19.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=14373

Hmmm... that'd be nice, but unfortunately, I can't really afford to wait any longer. Furthermore, I'm afraid it'd be awhile before they were actually shipped. :(

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
As father of 3, I often wonder what the heck I was thinking, but yeah I guess they're worth it. Congratulations!

Start saving for college and real estate NOW! ;)

I really don't recommend buying a single processor G4 this late in the game, but a base model MacBook Pro doesn't seem to fit into your budget.

It's a shame your wife does not have the option to buy her iBook from work or pay for a short term lease.

The Apple certified refurbs are generally in perfect condition.
Many come with either a RAM or HD upgrade.
My daughter's 12" 1.33GHz ibook came with the upgraded 60 GB HD
for $799.00 before tax.

The iBook should serve you well without going nuts on the purchase price,
but I would custom install the OS to free up some of the iBooks very limited 40 GB HD space. The default OSX install is 12.5 GB where the custom lean install knocks that down to 7.4 GB.

Datamem.com usually has the best deals on Apple quaranteed RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.