Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
My PowerBook 1400cs wouldn't boot. I got this under the frowning Mac:

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 F
0 0 0 0 0 0 6 9

Any idea of what it is? Dead harddrive? Or no bootable data? Thanks!

Lacnce

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2006
The Mac runs a series of hardware tests when you start up the machine. If these tests fail, you may see the infamous "Sad Mac" icon, hear error tones, or both.

Treatment 1: Check your RAM.
Have you just changed the RAM in your Mac or moved the Mac from one place to another? More often than not, error tones are the result of a RAM module that's not seated properly or that's incompatible with your Mac.

Treatment 2: Check other installed cards.
It's possible that another kind of add-in circuit board is causing the problem. Try reseating any AGP, PCI, PDS, or NuBus cards in your Mac.

Treatment 3: Try a different startup disk.
Although this situation is rare, error tones can occur if your startup drive is under the weather. Try booting your Mac with the System software disk that it shipped with. To start up from this CD, insert it and hold down the C key until the Mac's welcome screen appears. If the C-key trick doesn't work, try pressing Command-Shift-Option-Delete. This key combination tells the Mac to try to boot from a device other than the startup disk.

Treatment 4: Think back.
Have you changed anything since you last used your Mac—added a new PCI card or peripheral, for example? If so, you've found the likely culprit. Undo your recent actions, and try booting your Mac again. If the Mac starts up properly, you'll need to troubleshoot this new acquisition.

Treatment 5: Call Apple.
As I mentioned earlier, a call to Apple may be the right solution when you're otherwise stumped.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I got this computer used, and only got it yesterday, so I have no idea what's been done to it. It cannot be badly seated RAM, since I don't have any expanded RAM installed. I can't call Apple for support on a 10 year old laptop, can I?

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Hey, if it happens to be something to do with the boot disk I guess try making a 7.5.0 boot floppy from Apple website. If it can boot from there, then everything is cool.

At one point I did indeed add more RAM to it, and then took it out. Does it have 16 or 40MB of RAM?

I happen to have (what I think) is a 32MB RAM expansion card laying around here I could send to you as well if you wanna try plugging that in.

Otherwise, once you get a CD-ROM I have a 9.0.0 install CD I can lend ya to help ya get 'er going again. (If of course this error code is indeed boot disk related.)

Lastly, for $5 I can just send you a 2GB HD pulled from a Wallstreet that will work in there.

stolfi1

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 F =Software error like the wrong os installed or something. the 69 one I have no idea on. Basically any error ending in F is software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.