Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I have a 1.5 Ghz PowerBook 15". I don't here any fans anymore, and my computer can get hot, and after long hours of online gaming, fried my HD enough for me to reinstall.

How can I test to see if the fans are operational? is there an app that does this?

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
solaris said:
Run "Hardware Test" from your Mac OS X restore disc.

Thanks, the fans run fine, don't know why my powerbook over heated after playing Americas Army for 14 hours.

Well the system seems good now

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
You play a game for 14 hours and wonder why it's hot? hmmm.

I just interestingly enough found that in a room cooler than my original by about 5 degrees, my PB is almost the same temperature as my iBook was. Before it was a freaking heatpump.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I would play AA on my intel iMac 20" but there is no universal and rossetta version is soooo slow, get about 5 - 8 fps, where with my PowerBook G4 I am getting 28 - 34 FPS.

Other mac players on iMac G5 and PowerMacs seem to smoke me they are at 60 - 80 FPS, but that is ok, I learning to be a better shot, I starting to beat them with lesser technology.

I have found putting coins under the feet of the PowerBook to give it a little more height make a big difference. The metal case of the PowerBook is designed to remove heat, and the bottom is where most heats is directed. with my iBook G3, it was where the HD was, and after 2.5 years it was cooked. Love AppleCare, machine is back in action. I would say I am a power users I use two Mac at at time, and on weekends that is 18 + hours, yes my wife does complain, but she uses hers alot too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.