Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

CompUser

Original poster
I went to turn on my powerbook yesterday. It went to the white apple screen for 5 min and then restarted again and tried to boot. I knew something must have been wrong so I did target FW mode and copied my 23.xx gb of files through the iBook onto an external hard drive. This literally took 10 hours to complete .

I started up the computer this morning, it booted up but it took like 5 minutes. I did the disk utility verify disk and this is what it said.

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
d.",1)
Macintosh HD
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

The "repair disk" button is grayed out.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Boot from the system DVD that came with your Powerbook, and then run disk utility from there. Should be able to repair disk from there.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Also, go into you System Profiler and check the status of your HDD. Look where the it gives the information for S.M.A.R.T. Stauts: If it says verified, you are okay. If it says failing, then your HDD is about the crash. If this is the case, good thing you backed everything up.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I just had this problem on my iBook! I booted from the System install disk and ran disk utility. The reason it is greyed out is because you cannot repair an active boot drive.

thecheda

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Los Angeles
internal hd

CompUser said:
I went to turn on my powerbook yesterday. It went to the white apple screen for 5 min and then restarted again and tried to boot. I knew something must have been wrong so I did target FW mode and copied my 23.xx gb of files through the iBook onto an external hard drive. This literally took 10 hours to complete .

I started up the computer this morning, it booted up but it took like 5 minutes. I did the disk utility verify disk and this is what it said.

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
d.",1)
Macintosh HD
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

The "repair disk" button is grayed out.

hd is dead. is it under warranty?

EDIT: i meant to say "hd is dead? <--(question mark) is it under warranty?"

sorry guys. didnt think i would offend so many :p

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
thecheda said:
No, it's not dead.

I talked to him on AIM and he did what the second poster said, to boot from disk and repair and it worked! What I told him to do yesterday when I talked to him on AIM. :rolleyes::p

It's not dead. May be dying, but it's not dead.

C

CompUser

Original poster
thecheda said:

Don't jump to conclusions unless you have a jump-to-conclusions mat. :p

It seems to be fine now. SMART status says it is verified.

Thanks for your help everyone.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Mine has been doing the same thing for about the past month or two. Lots of problems, but still says its "verified". I'm sure its on its last breath, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 100gb 7200rpm drive. I recommend putting away a few bucks for your new HD. :)

C

CompUser

Original poster
bursty said:
Mine has been doing the same thing for about the past month or two. Lots of problems, but still says its "verified". I'm sure its on its last breath, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 100gb 7200rpm drive. I recommend putting away a few bucks for your new HD. :)

I have applecare, until January 2, 2007 with the opportunity to extend it. If the hard drive breaks in this, I will literally behead apple. Lets see, 2nd PowerBook, 4th iPod, 3rd BT mouse.... ( I have horrible luck with apple)

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
dferrara said:
Okay, so why would that happen if it's not on the verge of mechanical failure?
Well this is what happened to mine....under heavy use, I get TONS of HD chatter. Sounds like the head is banging against the disc. Obviously, that will cause an error or two, but the drive is still able to read/write....so it just keeps on truckin. No Applecare for me. This is my first problem in 3 years, so I dont really mind spending the money for a blazing fast new HD once this one finally does bite the dust. :)

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I have bad luck with Apple, too. I'm constantly slightly dissapointed with the hardware, but I just can't get off the OS - I love it.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I have the same pb as you, bought a few weeks earlier.

I did some extensive copying on the hd and got a similar error on it.

What brand and what size hd is it? So what, is what I think. It fails, Apple fixes it, I'm fine. Happened to the hd on my first Tibook, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.