Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papskier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Hey folks help me out here. My brother desperately wants to make the leap to Mac, but he wants to use Maya under Windows. Anyone tried Maya on Bootcamp yet? If so any info on how well it ran and what sorts of tasks you did while putting it through it's paces would be greatly greatly appreciated.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
i am in a position to try.l...

Hey,

here is a maya user. i am an architecture grad student and use maya, rhino, solidworks, etc...

i have maya installed but haven't run anything particularly intensive. someday soon i'll let you know how it works, but in my limited experience of maya on bootcamp, it's fantastic. get it.

maya is an issue, 'cause they probably won't be making universal binaries of it for a while.

r.

papskier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
awesome... i'm very interested in hearing how it performs once you do something real with it. great to hear that you got it up and running though.

thanks!

Alonzo1

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
I would also like to know how 3D programs such as Maya and 3D Studio Max run on Boot Camp. Bring your mac to its knees and tells us the limits!

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
I would be more then happy to! --as i am interested as well...

I am presently in finals for grad school architecture and so it's not the first thing on my list... maybe i can dig up an old animation to render, and compare it to a render on my windows desktop machine, something i consider to be quite quick.

but more specifically, any requests on what type of test's you would like to see on maya/bootcamp?

hardware acceleration with textures while navigating? rendering times using caustics...? or even better, send me a maya file and i'll render it on the macbook pro 2ghz with 1 gig ram (not yet aquired second gig of ram) and i'll report back to ya! but i have a feeling we'll all be pleasantly suprrised!

r.

Alonzo1

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
Well I usually work with 3D Studio Max and right now I like to model characters. I'll usually build a 5000 polygon character and use NURMS subdivision which will smooth the edges and bump the poly count up to around 10,000. At this point the camera gets a little laggy revolving around my character.

How is the performance when the camera revolves around something high poly?

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
whyrichard said:
Hey,

here is a maya user. i am an architecture grad student and use maya, rhino, solidworks, etc...

i have maya installed but haven't run anything particularly intensive. someday soon i'll let you know how it works, but in my limited experience of maya on bootcamp, it's fantastic. get it.

maya is an issue, 'cause they probably won't be making universal binaries of it for a while.

r.

Hey, i'm a mech eng student and I'm curious to know if you've tried solidworks out yet... I've got an intel imac, 17 inch, and i can't wait to find out whether I'll be able to use it for some of my CAD stuff.
Thanks.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
papskier said:
Hey folks help me out here. My brother desperately wants to make the leap to Mac, but he wants to use Maya under Windows. Anyone tried Maya on Bootcamp yet? If so any info on how well it ran and what sorts of tasks you did while putting it through it's paces would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Any reason he has to run Maya under Windows? It works great on a Mac. I think that Maya 7 with a Dongle no longer requires you to pay to switch platforms.

auhlixer

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Anyone get 3D max to work yet or AutoCad?

I've tried to install Inventor 10 but it gave me a Microsoft WSE 2.0 Runtime error :( I've installed the same inventor 10 on a pc and it installed fine

Anyone else have any problems installing autodesk products?

adam1185

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
auhlixer said:
Anyone get 3D max to work yet or AutoCad?

I've tried to install Inventor 10 but it gave me a Microsoft WSE 2.0 Runtime error :( I've installed the same inventor 10 on a pc and it installed fine

Anyone else have any problems installing autodesk products?

Macworld mentioned something about 3DS Max not working on boot camp because of some copy protection issue. Hopefully they have fix for it soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.