Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
The appeal of that card was, it was very cheap. I'm not even paying that much for the G4. I plan on using it as a file server and dumping all my PCs.

Are all the available Mac IDE cards expensive?

The difference between $78 and $13 is large.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
apunkrockmonk said:
The appeal of that card was, it was very cheap. I'm not even paying that much for the G4. I plan on using it as a file server and dumping all my PCs.

Are all the available Mac IDE cards expensive?

The difference between $78 and $13 is large.
$78 was the cheapest one I could find for the Sonnet model. I don't know of any other models that work on a Mac. I believe Belkin might make one.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Unfortunately there are no $15 ATA/SATA controllers in the Apple world. OWC has a pretty comprehensive selection but prices start around $55. On the up side, the PCI cards available to Mac users are all high quality and more compatible than one of those bargain-basement $15 cards.

If you haven't bought a hard drive yet then I recommend the SIIG 4-channel SATA card from OWC's link above. I am very satisfied with my 2-channel model.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Lord Blackadder said:
Unfortunately there are no $15 ATA/SATA controllers in the Apple world. OWC has a pretty comprehensive selection but prices start around $55. On the up side, the PCI cards available to Mac users are all high quality and more compatible than one of those bargain-basement $15 cards.

If you haven't bought a hard drive yet then I recommend the SIIG 4-channel SATA card from OWC's link above. I am very satisfied with my 2-channel model.

Ah, see, my plan is to sell all my PCs, but salvage the HDs from them first. Luckily, the ones I am keeping are all IDE. Speed isn't a real necessity, I am aware that my network at 100Mbps will be the bottleneck.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I have one I am getting rid of, actually. It was tested recently, has been owned about four months, and was used for approximately one hour of up time (I bought it to run a 200gig hard drive in a G3, then decided to replace the drive with 2 80gig drives). It is pretty bare bones--no RAID or SATA, but it has IDE 100/133, you can have up to four drives, and it ran in a G3, which has the same hardware as your Yikes. PM me if interested.

Otherwise, I suggest newegg or ebay.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
SmurfBoxMasta said:
Firmtek also sells ata & sata cards for macs too, and if you look on ebay, you can usually find one @ a reasonable price. I got a 2 port SATA card not too long ago for ~$45, and saw ATA/100 ones for ~$30
thanks for the info.. i'll probally get one to speed up my g3 beige.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.