Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple reported on 2nd Quarter 2006 Financial Results today.

Apple's profits rose 41% this quarter with net income up to $410 million or 47 cents a share, from $290 million, or 34 cents, a year earlier.

Apple shipped 1,112,000 Macintosh® computers and 8,526,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 4 percent growth in Macs and 61 percent growth in iPods over the year-ago quarter. “We’ve generated over $10 billion in revenue and almost $1 billion in earnings in the first half of fiscal 2006,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Our transition to Intel processors is going very well, and our music business just experienced another quarter of outstanding growth.”

Apple's financial results webcast is ongoing.

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Pretty good

Looks like pretty good results overall, but they're a little defensive about the 4% increase in Mac sales -- lots of blame assigned to the Intel transition.

"Apple shipped 1,112,000 Macintosh® computers and 8,526,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 4 percent growth in Macs and 61 percent growth in iPods over the year-ago quarter."

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Hopefully the 2nd half is great

Hopefully the 2nd half is great and helps bring the stock up more! I have vested interest :)

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
"Again... we wont comment on unrealised products*." :mad:

Well I couldn't really expect them to but I hope its soon...

* from webcast

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Oppenheimer says they expect iPod units to be down slightly next quarter...the growth curve seems to be flattening. To be expected...it certainly can't continue forever.

Duplicating this quarter's iPod sales would bring year-over-year growth to under 40% for next quarter from 61% this quarter.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
People stopped buying iBooks. That's one reason mac sales were a bit slower. From a quarterly perspective, it makes great sense the way Apple has smoothed out its product updates:

Q4: Holiday rush, iPod sales carry the company
Q1: MacBook Pro, MacMini, and iMac sales help get the transition going
Q2: MacBook and 17" MacBook Pro continue the transition
Q3: Powermac (intel) updates complete the transition + 10.5 Leopard preview
Q4: New iPod in time for holidays (10.5 available for purchase too?).

This always gives investors something to look forward to instead of just updating everything at once and hoping that an effect is immediately visible.

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
Why was there no mention of 50 million ipods being sold..... Seems like a keynote is due (Sunday)

Sunday better be good.

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
carletonmusic said:
People stopped buying iBooks. That's one reason mac sales were a bit slower. From a quarterly perspective, it makes great sense the way Apple has smoothed out its product updates:

Q4: Holiday rush, iPod sales carry the company
Q1: MacBook Pro, MacMini, and iMac sales help get the transition going
Q2: MacBook and 17" MacBook Pro continue the transition
Q3: Powermac (intel) updates complete the transition + 10.5 Leopard announced?
Q4: New iPod in time for holidays (10.5 available for purchase too?).

This always gives investors something to look forward to instead of just updating everything at once and hoping that an effect is immediately visible.

Exactly what I thought. I believe this will end up being true.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
"4 percent growth in Macs" Wow. Who would have guessed that? I would have predicted a decline in sales. I had figured that everyone was doing like me and putting off buying a new Mac until 2007 and the dust settles. I predict '07 will be ahuge year for mac sales.

But 60+ percent growth in iPod sales is not sustainable. At that growth rate it will not be long before the entire surface of the Earth is covered 10 feet deep in iPods. No kiddding. Expnential growth works like that. Really, if trends continue in 20 years many of us will be crushed by the weight of stacks of iPods. So I guees "trends will not continue."

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wall Street is happy. Apple usually tanks after earnings announcements.

Symbol: AAPL
Last Trade: 68.83 5:37PM ET
After Hours Change: 3.18 (4.84%)

hoppo99

macrumors member
May 8, 2005
London, UK
4% increase in Mac sales is pretty good considering the Intel transition. Most of Apple's customers are repeat buyers who would most likely be postponing purchases until the new (intel) model is out. I don't think it is impacting potential switchers (at least in a negative way) since most aren't even aware what a processor is, let alone what one the Mac they're buying has! I wonder what the increase in PC sales is in the industry as a whole for the last quarter? It's probably more than 4% but I wouldn't reckon by much.

Mars

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2005
Am I the only one...?

Am I the only one to consider Steves' statement of "...music business..." being a rather risky "naming" in respect to the ongoing law-suit from Apple Corps.?:eek:

William25

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2006
All over the US and world
4% Growth

I think that the 4% growth is a result of people waiting for the new macbooks.I sold my iBook G3 600mhz for $500 a few months back. It’s too bad I really needed a computer or I would have waited to buy the new iBook. As it is I had to buy a G4 iBook seeing I’m constantly traveling.

hoppo99

macrumors member
May 8, 2005
London, UK
ChrisA said:
But 60+ percent growth in iPod sales is not sustainable. At that growth rate it will not be long before the entire surface of the Earth is covered 10 feet deep in iPods. No kiddding. Expnential growth works like that. Really, if trends continue in 20 years many of us will be crushed by the weight of stacks of iPods. So I guees "trends will not continue."

We can expect to see the market to flatten out generally. What is important now is that Apple maintains they're market share within that market, which I'm sure they'll do. The key is to keep the product line fresh so that people have reason to upgrade as some are doing already doing (I'm on my second ipod). I'm sure Apple has plenty of ideas up its sleeve though...

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
webcast

anybody else listening, or trying to listen to the webcast? mine's breaking up like crazy, sometimes stopping to buffer. wonder if it's just me or could it be too many people connected to the webcast?

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Yea take that you stupid analysts! I hope they come to realize Apple is growing strong!

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
hoppo99 said:
We can expect to see the market to flatten out generally. What is important now is that Apple maintains they're market share within that market, which I'm sure they'll do. The key is to keep the product line fresh so that people have reason to upgrade as some are doing already doing (I'm on my second ipod). I'm sure Apple has plenty of ideas up its sleeve though...

My iPod is 3 years old and I have no reason to upgrade. ;)

hoppo99

macrumors member
May 8, 2005
London, UK
7on said:
My iPod is 3 years old and I have no reason to upgrade. ;)

But I'm sure they'll come a time when you will want to and Apple have to make sure that it is an iPod you upgrade to rather than a competing music player. Obviously if you've bought many songs on iTMS then it helps to force your hand...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.