Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Originally posted by Durandal7

If you couldn't help then why did you bother responding? Especially in a thread that is for new users. :rolleyes:

Funniest post ever... a veteran user flames another for posting a useless post... I make it three. :cool:

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by cr2sh

Funniest post ever... a veteran user flames another for posting a useless post... I make it three. :cool:

Actually, I thought PeteW's post was a joke at first, but as I read on he was serious, so I didn't give it a second thought..... I mean I have an uncle (who is very rich btw), but everything he buys he gets second hand and he says "it's all I need, so why spend more" - that's why he's very right

I wish I could do that, and trade in my new cars for two used Buicks costing a total of $5000, and dumping my PowerMac and PowerBook for a MacSE and Performa....

I'm just a powerhungry bastard I guess..

;)

**and a belated welcome to you PeteW!
I promise you, when (if) you switch to OS X, on a fast G3 or even a 400mhz G4, you'll be very happy with your bang for the buck purchase.

:)

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
haha, well if it aint a new youngin. Well... sortof..... aww you get what I mean.

But anyways welcome Pete (I assume that Pete is your name judging from your handle). I hope you have fun here. Ive been talking a break off of posting but Ive been here for almost 2 years. Your knowlegde of older mac stuff is over my head a tad bit ( I was 2 when some of those computers you have came out :rolleyes: ) but Id be more than glad to try and help you out as best as I can. Just feel free to ask anyone here if you have a problem. They are very speedy with responses. Most responses are quality similar to Durandal's response , and some arent that informative , but help is help, right? :)

Anyways enjoy yourself. This a fun community of mac dudes, so you should be right at home.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Another newbie

Hey everyone, been watchin all your raves for awhile and figured i might as well join in too. 1st machine was a 030 performa so though not really a switcher i remember after seeing all that pc crap at wall mart that the performa stood out so i bought it from wal mart! So cool i thought! anyways we have had imacs and i use a quicksilver 733 that i bumped up to 800. sort a like those itsy bitsy tiny winy bumps we get from motorola, iam sure you know what i mean. geforce3 and a gig of mem. bonafide Macaddict by the way is a greatmag and im a macgamer. You may see me on RTCW games,sorry if i fraged you but im sure you deserved it. When i want to learn whats going on in the mac world this is one of the places i come. Hoping for nvidia's fx card with Ibm's 970 to show this year so i can pass this machine to my wife! Hope you all have a great year!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Re: newbie

Originally posted by dynamicd
I'm a newbie but have been observing for the past week or two...wanting to get a glimpse of what might be coming out at mac world. I"m going into my first year in college and was looking at macs b/c of my friend who has been a die-hard mac-user since he was born.

Anyway, the flat-panel imac always appealed to me and i just oredered the new 17" one the day it came out. And now that i'm about to be a mac-user i thought i owed it to myself to register here.
Should be a nice machine and i love the display. Hey did you know the new ones will be coming out in a week or two? heh heh!

onetime

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2003
urth
Convenient thread..

Long time lurker here.

What a nice opportunity to register.. Arn has a good thing here! Such a beautiful community that it's impossible not to participate during times like these. I'm looking foward to bouncing ideas and aquiring new perspectives. I'm currently working on a Pismo 500 w/ 40GB 40GNX HD & 320MB. She's almost 3 years old but this new HD makes her brand new again. Yes, I'm guilty of licking my PowerBook's crack..

--Peace.

onetime

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2003
urth
Pure Macintosh owner, actually. I started at age 9 playing on an LC pizza box and haven't turned back. I'm proud to announce that I've never had the misfortune of owning a windows system, although I admit to having the urge to bend when it comes to gaming availability.

Unfortunatly, I do have substancial windows experience. I'm working on a Computer Graphics major, but am currently earning my living working for Dull Technical Support... (Oh, the Irony.. preach Macintosh all through school to find yourself employed by the Dark Side.) Damn, those computers suck. I'm witness first hand. It's sad and I feel sorry for their (our) customers at times. That's ok though, because I take special care in subliminaly switching Dell customers. They get mad cause their $500 2350 isn't all they were promised on TV, and I tell them they get what they pay for and there are alternatives... :D

Occasionaly, I'll even get another Mac Geek on the line and it gets hard to shut us up, as you can imagine. Slowly but surely, the masses will follow.

Thanks for asking!

onetime

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2003
urth
Heh, You got it! Several hundred other employees down there, and I know of only one other tech with Mac experience. Been there over a year now.

Dirt is plentiful.. and Jobs is right: Walmart. Quantity over quality (obviously). Oh, and the little people don't count. But squeaky wheels get grease, hard drives are plenty and parts are cheap. It seems they're in it for the short term because there's not much chance for a good customer experience, but at this point they've got such a hold on things, who's to say.:(

I'll take this PowerBook any day of the week; of course, you knew that..

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by onetime
Heh, You got it! Several hundred other employees down there, and I know of only one other tech with Mac experience. Been there over a year now.

Dirt is plentiful.. and Jobs is right: Walmart. Quantity over quality (obviously). Oh, and the little people don't count. But squeaky wheels get grease, hard drives are plenty and parts are cheap. It seems they're in it for the short term because there's not much chance for a good customer experience, but at this point they've got such a hold on things, who's to say.:(

I'll take this PowerBook any day of the week; of course, you knew that..

I actually called apple tech support about a power supply problem with my power book a couple of months ago, and got a guy who owned a Gateway laptop and kept talking about it, so I just hung up and called back to get a different guy... I was shocked that Apple hired PC guys for their tech support. Now if the guy was also a Mac expert, I can understand, but he really seemed lost when I would ask him some basic mac questions.:mad:

onetime

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2003
urth
You know, I'm almost willing to wager the tech you spoke to wasn't actually an employee of Apple. I say this because at Dell, they/we actually only employ between 1/4 to 1/2 of the technicians who troubleshoot their sorry excuses for computers.

The brunt of calls are relayed to outsource providers around the country and over seas. These are people who had some training in what's involved and pose as Dell tech support. Dell employees take what's left over. You can imagine the enormous call volume that is handled, and how it would reduce considerably if they could make a system that works out of the box 90 percent of the time (an exageration, but surprisingly too many systems are DOA). While I'm very proud of the service I've received from Apple, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has a similar setup, although I agree they should at least be formidable Mac users!

On another note, I recently had a problem w/ the powersupply with my PowerBook as well... on talking to the technician, she claimed she was getting a 12" PowerBook soon. I question her sincerity, as I had a previous tech tell me near the same thing. I'm guessing that if they're Apple employees or even Mac users, they say such things to get us off their back. We all know how hard we can be to please.. ;)

Don't get me wrong.. I love Dell and think they/we have some great products...
[/sarcasm]

I must admit they pay well for my still being in school.. best job in this small town (30,000). I rank very well... within the top 10 of 500 for several monthes now. I only wish I had some more covert and effective ways to plant some "switcher" seeds.

Any suggestions? Please, Anyone?

sammyb1

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2003
UK

I had a problem with my Mac in Jan
Through the streets I ran and ran

Wailing Crying Sobbing too
My Mac was broke what was i to do ?

Twas Google where I found this site
It answered my prayers with gusto and might

Now my mac is almost like new
My questions answered through and through

thankyou !

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by onetime
You know, I'm almost willing to wager the tech you spoke to wasn't actually an employee of Apple. I say this because at Dell, they/we actually only employ between 1/4 to 1/2 of the technicians who troubleshoot their sorry excuses for computers.

The brunt of calls are relayed to outsource providers around the country and over seas. These are people who had some training in what's involved and pose as Dell tech support. Dell employees take what's left over. You can imagine the enormous call volume that is handled, and how it would reduce considerably if they could make a system that works out of the box 90 percent of the time (an exageration, but surprisingly too many systems are DOA). While I'm very proud of the service I've received from Apple, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has a similar setup, although I agree they should at least be formidable Mac users!

On another note, I recently had a problem w/ the powersupply with my PowerBook as well... on talking to the technician, she claimed she was getting a 12" PowerBook soon. I question her sincerity, as I had a previous tech tell me near the same thing. I'm guessing that if they're Apple employees or even Mac users, they say such things to get us off their back. We all know how hard we can be to please.. ;)

Don't get me wrong.. I love Dell and think they/we have some great products...
[/sarcasm]

I must admit they pay well for my still being in school.. best job in this small town (30,000). I rank very well... within the top 10 of 500 for several monthes now. I only wish I had some more covert and effective ways to plant some "switcher" seeds.

Any suggestions? Please, Anyone?

When a caller complains that windows is crashing on them, you can say.... "well, Windows is a greats OS, not quite as robust as Unix which is found on Apple, but nevertheless a great OS.....bla bla bla"

or do they listen in on your calls?

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
Hey hey!

I just switched from my constant crashing Dell P3 800 mhz to a mac. I havent got it yet, but man I cant wait till it comes.

Just bought a 17" AluBook with 1GB ram
WOO!

I cant even begin to describe the feeling of finaly realiziing I'll get a machine that wont crash, and wont gimme crappy errors.

Brings a tear to my eye just thinking bout it

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by Heart Break Kid
Hey hey!

I just switched from my constant crashing Dell P3 800 mhz to a mac. I havent got it yet, but man I cant wait till it comes.

WOO!

I cant even begin to describe the feeling of finaly realiziing I'll get a machine that wont crash, and wont gimme crappy errors.

go here and read what I did to help a fellow Dull user see the light:https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19955

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Hey hey!

WOO!

mmmmm.... powerbook.....

what an excellent machine. I hope you enjoy it.

Gringo

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2003
South America Chile
Hey hey!

WOO!

Well congrats for making the change... I really love it and relly enjoy mac's... but pls do not be tricked... they do crash sometimes.... ofcourse not as windoes does, but they do... os X crashes very little, well actually it never crashed on me, but os 9 has...

good luck,

G.-

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
and crashes are never a full on freeze. They are just an application
not working, and you have to force quit that applications. But macs
rarely 'crash' crash.

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
The only time I've had a Mac crash is when I was installing a app that was not meant to run on it, and this was user error, not to be blamed on the mac. My desktop Dual 500 has been running on OS X since "Beta" and even under "beta" I never had a system crash...

I run Disk Utility (Repair Permissions), and occationally run DRIVE 10 to drfragment the drive (every month or so). I also downloaded a freeware called Mac Janitor to use on my laptop that runs the Unix maintenance that normally runs at 2am on your computer at a time you choose. Use this if you don't leave your machine on all the time.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
just waiting

Hi,
I too am a newbie. I am not new to Macs though. I have been using macs since they came out. Well, maybe not that long ago, but I was there when Illustrator 88 came out and was using that in college. I am now a graphic/web designer and have been in the design field for 12 years. My first actual mac purchase was the Power Mac 7100AV. The AV was sooo much fun and I watched TV on it all the time. I could also connect to any video camera which allowed for a lot of video. Too bad the new apps weren't out then.

Anyway, I joined the site to catch up on all this sudden spurt of new stuff coming out. I now look forward to every Tuesday. I dont like this waiting for the only 17" to come out. By the time it gets here, it wont be the only one! Blah! I like when people post the guts of this new software. I love the close ups and having someone else disect the computer to see what makes it tick.

I use my mac for just about everything digital. Audio, video, web, and creating wonderful pieces of art. I should be on the next ad for apple. :D My father is a retired IBM computer technician. HE HAS SWITCHED! Unbelievable. It could have been all my laughter watching him try multimedia on a PC. :p

grimmace

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Re: just waiting

Originally posted by grimmace
I like when people post the guts of this new software.

grimmace

Sorry, I meant hardware of course. I liked the post that showed the new PB12" up close and got inside. Cant wait until the new 17 comes so I can view that. If you dont open it, I WILL! :D

g

Bond007

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2003
Central Florida
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie.:p I guess you could call me a switcher. I have used a PC for years and just purchased a new G4 last week. (I love it). I used Mac's a few years back in college but always had a PC at the house. Well, not anymore. :D

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. Nice to meet you all!:cool: :cool:

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by Bond007
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie.:p I guess you could call me a switcher. I have used a PC for years and just purchased a new G4 last week. (I love it). I used Mac's a few years back in college but always had a PC at the house. Well, not anymore. :D

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. Nice to meet you all!:cool: :cool:

Welcome, and remember.... once you go Mac.... you'll never go back!
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.