Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Blue Velvet said:
Maybe one of our digital audio forum members could do a stereo high-quality location recording of an environmental sound i.e. city noise, the beach, factory, railway station etc. (no copyright issues) of maybe 15-45mins of length and convert/save it as an 16bit AIFF or Apple Lossless file for downloading.

Yeah awesome - also the test on the front page for the MBP benchmarks are done with a free download - check it out i forgot what its called.

either way - this is gaining pace

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
A batch Photoshop Action could be set up as droplets for various Photoshop versions in a folder with some images and zipped for download...

If one of our photographers can supply a nice big high-quality and vaguely interesting TIF I don't mind coming up with a rigorous and demanding set of actions that will bring everybody's Mac to its knees. :D

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
A batch Photoshop Action could be set up as droplets for various Photoshop versions in a folder with some images and zipped for download...

If one of our photographers can supply a nice big high-quality and vaguely interesting TIF I don't mind coming up with a rigorous and demanding set of actions that will bring everybody's Mac to its knees. :D

We must be pretty much in sync - Im in the middle of doing it using one of my images - which actions should i include?

My current batch is

1, resize
2, gaussian
3, median
4, layer copy x 5 and merge visible
5, radial

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
This is a great idea, i thought the original photoshop idea was great too (that large test image that has a radial blur applied to it) These are much more real-world tasks than benchmarks, and, for all intents, processor/OS independent.

You really need to consult an expert on this; you want some tests that tax the whole system (FSB/drives/memory/video) or those that just tax one aspect (CPU like the pshop test)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
BakedBeans said:
We must be pretty much in sync - Im in the middle of doing it using one of my images - which actions should i include?

My current batch is

1, resize
2, gaussian
3, median
4, layer copy x 5 and merge visible
5, radial

All of them... why not? If you've got that far, then I won't stand in your way.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
All of them... why not? If you've got that far, then I won't stand in your way.

:)

anything yu would like to see included? The reason ive put those in is because it seems a broad range of things that can be quite intensive with a large image - also, they are used fairly often.

but anything else you think should be in there?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Depending on the file size, maybe convert to CMYK and then to 16bit before doing a blur, then convert back to RGB and 8bit. :eek: :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
In fact, I would start with a greyscale image so it's easier to download then action to convert to RGB, then apply some Hue/Saturation to colorise it, then some curves to vary the colour across the tonal range, then your set of actions...

It has to be a test that even the Quads won't get through too quickly otherwise it could be outdated within 12 months when the new PowerMacs come out which is why I suggested the CMYK 16bit conversion and blur.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
For the game benchmark. What about using X-Plane? The demo and the full version are the same. The only difference is that if you don't have the CD in it runs in demo mode and puts a 6min cap on the controls.

I know it isn't what people usually think of when they test games but it does push systems a lot if you turn up graphics all the way (they were getting about .5 fps on a dual G5 with highest settings) and has a built in system for displaying and recording system performance.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
lol, we are actually on the same page.

ive included an rgb - cmyk already (the image was already 16bit)

this is the action so far (like you i didnt want to make it to easy for quads but it cant be to hard for ibooks/powerbooks)

Image Resize - 2110x3380 Px to 4220x6760 px (40.8m to 163m)
Gaussian Blur - 100px
Mode - RGB to CMYK
Invert
Posterize
Layer x 5 and then merge visible
Desaturate
Unsharp mask

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Blue Velvet said:
Maybe one of our digital audio forum members could do a stereo high-quality location recording of an environmental sound i.e. city noise, the beach, factory, railway station etc. (no copyright issues) of maybe 15-45mins of length and convert/save it as an 16bit AIFF or Apple Lossless file for downloading.

Just what I had in mind. Then add to iTunes, right click, convert selection to AAC. Rip to 128kbps error protection off AAC? Thats seems to be a normal bitrate.

Handbrake would be a good one, but currently its not fully optimised for Intel. It really stresses out the processor, and it is easy to get a frames per second. We would need some Video_TS folder for dl I guess though.. As you can't just use a standard DVD.. not everyone would have it.

Looking good people :)

cecirdr

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2006
BakedBeans said:
lol,
Image Resize - 2110x3380 Px to 4220x6760 px (40.8m to 163m)
Gaussian Blur - 100px
Mode - RGB to CMYK
Invert
Posterize
Layer x 5 and then merge visible
Desaturate
Unsharp mask

Cool! love it. Looks like a great action. I won't be able to test things out since I'm using only elements, but I look forward to the data. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
AIFF/Lossless to AAC/MP3

OK, while in the bath I've had an idea for producing the aiff for an iTunes encoding test and a foolproof way to avoid any copyright problems.

Without going into too much detail, I've got a 24-bit audio editing app here and will do some processing on a generated file using base material that is in the public domain.

Leave it to me... give me a 4-5 days to put it all together in my spare time and get it into a shape that's ready for uploading to somewhere, probably as a .dmg of a folder containing a Lossless file.

It'll take a bit of messing around to achieve a balance between a file of sufficient complexity and dynamic range -- one that gives a meaningful task to a Quad and future Macs -- and yet is not too outrageously large for downloading.

The main thing is that I'm not going to be aiming for a file that will necessarily be tested on the grounds of audio quality and fidelity, rather one that is just chunky enough to pose a challenge.

Watch this space.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Blue Velvet said:
OK, while in the bath I've had an idea for producing the aiff for an iTunes encoding test and a foolproof way to avoid any copyright problems.

Without going into too much detail, I've got a 24-bit audio editing app here and will do some processing on a generated file using base material that is in the public domain.

Leave it to me... give me a 4-5 days to put it all together in my spare time and get it into a shape that's ready for uploading to somewhere, probably as a .dmg of a folder containing a Lossless file.

It'll take a bit of messing around to achieve a balance between a file of sufficient complexity and dynamic range -- one that gives a meaningful task to a Quad and future Macs -- and yet is not too outrageously large for downloading.

The main thing is that I'm not going to be aiming for a file that will necessarily be tested on the grounds of audio quality and fidelity, rather one that is just chunky enough to pose a challenge.

Watch this space.

Sounds good. :)

Just to let you all know, the PS actions took my iBook 1.33ghz G4, 1.25GB RAM 3.03 minutes.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
Leave it to me... give me a 4-5 days to put it all together in my spare time...

Um. Sorry but I'm not going to have time to get this done for a while, even though I made a start and only just remembered about it today. :eek:

I'm just a time-waster. :mad:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm supposed to get my DTK replacement iMac today.Tomorrow I'll stick 2 gigs in it.

Thursday evening I'll put it through the paces using all native apps like iLife '06. paying close attention to iMovie and iTunes.

I will not run any tests under Rosetta that involve Altivec translations because most of the apps the currently run under Rosetta will be native by April..

"correct" results will be posted here later Thursday evening..

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Although I love the idea of these benchmarks, reading them in threads is going to be a nightmare...

Now what I'd love to see is an affiliated website that allows the user to select their model and config (like Crucial) and state the RAM and graphcs card... then they enter their results...

this means that we have a one-stop shop for all would be purchasers. It needs to be tidy and apple like...

Now I am willing to donate into a kitty required to do this and am also willing to do some of the front end work if I can..

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Looks like I might be doing this on my own... front page done..

Attachments

• macbenchmarks.jpg
    macbenchmarks.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 390

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
benchmarking hard to measure

To do a fare benchmark then you need decent compilers to build the bench programs. GCC not up to that level. That a performance for processor benchmark.

Or do do we to see who fasts certain apps take to run.

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
I actually got interested in the Photoshop benchmark, want to see how big of a difference a seperate scratch disk drive and more ram makes... Working with files that take 22 min to open on a Dual 2.0 G5, so the test should have a pretty big file to it.

Wish I had my G5 here with me, Ill put a reminder to work on a benchmark for you guys though.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Zbrush render please

I'd really like to see a render out of Zbrush. I'd be happy to provide the file. I'm sure there are a few people here who use it, and it would complement the other tests nicely.

As for photoshop images you can't go wrong with hubble. Try this link that has a choice of big files in tiff and jpeg or you can go all the way to an 18000x18000 pixel image here

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
i'm very interested in a new gaming benchmark. there should be a game engine or something that can utilize the full power of any mac, like intel, g5, g4, and g3, and have no framerate cap. it should also not lean torward nvidia, or ati. unreal tournament 2004 demo's graphics engine is ok, but i'm not sure if it's realiable to test for performance.

do you think porting 3dmark is a good idea ? :)

any opensource 3d game that we can use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.