Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeAppz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
I was browsing Apple's online store (in hopes to see a magical MacBook appear out of thin air) when I looked at the Powermac G5 and all its available build to order options. I noticed that you can have 16 GB of RAM installed on the computer as well as dual 500 GB internal hard drives. It also possesses a option for a 512MB video card. Now, being new to the computer world, and especially Macs, what does one need these specifications for? I maxed out the computre and the total came to about $17,000 dollars! What do people actually use this for and what is necessary to push this to its capacity? It seems unfathomable to me.

Thanks

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Pimped out G5

Hey, you have a great question - I'll try my best to answer. I think with the UNIX backend to OS X, the scientific community like these machines. Graphic designers and movie designers like them due to the power compared to a 'Workstation' computer. The quad is a well-priced machine for what it does, if you compare it to more advanced solutions like Particle Physics simulation or Video Encoding into H.264.

If you have a room full of these Quads with maxed out RAM - that makes one hell of a distributed system sharing multiple CPU's working on a given task.

hhhmmmmmm Quad PPC

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
16GB at the moment for me is just a dream -

the quad looks good - for me the G5 is a symbol of creativity for Video/Photo and design

hence why i love my G5 even though it's a tad outta date (dual 1.8) but still does the jobs i want from it.

i'm running out of space from my internal HDD's (750GB 1x500 1x 250) and my external ones just look to be a mess original 80gb from G5 160gb ,200gb 40gb and a 20gb thats somewhere ?

for me i suck up the space with iMovie and some smaller FCP projects

Apple are going to have to make sure the new PowerMac has 4 or more HDD spaces in there cos people like me need the upgrade paths on storage 16Gb off ram is just plain silly for the price you would pay.

512mb GPU is what i really want but my visa card says nooooo so next upgrade for me will have to be 256mb :mad:

my pennys worth ;)

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
16 GB can be neccessary to run very pro top applications 100% smoothly and fast under heavy conditions, such a Logic Pro and FCS.

The Quadro with 512 MB is almost minimum requirement for two 30" ACD's, and make gaming and video stuff go much smoother.

1000 GB can easily be taken up by video projects. A HD-movie in full-length is around 50 GB. 20 movies and you're done.

The fibrechannel cards and stuff are if you wanna make it a server or connect it to x-serve or somethin' like that.

My 2 cents.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.