Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
I can't seem to find any documentation that says Dell Printers are supported by OS X, will they work out of the box? I am thinking about getting that ultra cheap $100 Dell Laser printer after going through five inkjets in five years. I understand the toner isn't cheap, but it still ends up being a lot cheaper in the end. I don't need color either, so I am just looking for anyone that has used this printer with a mac and can give me the go ahead.

thanks in advance.

-Cory

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
How cheap is ultra cheap? There are lots of Mac compatible printers out there.

The Dell printers are typically re-branded Lexmark printers which are crap. They would most likely work with a Mac as long as the open source drivers are used. I have no experience with Dell printers, but since almost everything from Epson, Lexmark, and HP work with those open source drivers, there is no reason to think that the Dell wouldn't.

Keep in mind that you will not be able to get toner and such locally. You will have to order online from Dell. That would keep me from buying a printer from them, no matter how little it cost.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The *best* *best* *best* option is to buy a printer on Apple's supported hardware list:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/printers.html

The second best option is to get one that's on GIMP-Print's list:

http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php3

or one that other people have reported success with on OS X.

But I'd be very careful about the assumption of using Lexmark drivers with a Dell unless you can find someone who has that specific printer running on a Mac. I've read threads before where people tried this and were not able to get it to work.

Also try forum searching... there was a very inexpensive printer from... I don't remember whom... that several people on here bought.

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
Mac OS X supports pretty much 90-95% of printers out there.
Dell printers are most likely just rebranded Laser printers from some other manufacturer. So they should work fine.
I havent found a printer that doesnt work with OS X yet.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
gman71882 said:
Mac OS X supports pretty much 90-95% of printers out there.
Dell printers are most likely just rebranded Laser printers from some other manufacturer. So they should work fine.
I havent found a printer that doesnt work with OS X yet.

FWIW, a friend of mine had a Dell-branded Lexmark inkjet printer that wouldn't work with my mac. I would say cut your losses and buy something you know will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.