Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivblaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
Hi,
I'm a newbie to MAC's, mainly PC due to my job. But I now need to re-package an application for OSX into something that is similar to a self extracting zipped exe file. I know its not possible to create a exe file for a mac but I need to create a file that essentially functions like an exe would. I'm really not sure where to even start so any help would be very helpful. Thanks so much!! :)

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
I'm not sure that I understand what you mean.

If you want an application to be repackaged for os x do these things:

--Rebuild your application for OS X.
--Install the developer tools that exist on the OS X installation CD. Along with the main program, (Xcode), many additional utilities will be installed, that are very useful, even if you are not a programmer.

The application you need is PackageMaker and lies in "Developer/Applications/Utilities" folder (supposing you have installed developer tools).

That's the application you will need to create .pkg programs, which are self-install programs. The learning curve is pretty short, sure Apple has done great work into packageMaker. I'm sure it will help you.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
PackageMaker is preferred, since it uses Installer (/Applications/Utilities) which comes with all OS X versions (free). There are commercial alternatives that were more popular in the pre-OS X days that are still used by big companies like Adobe and Microsoft.

But most users are used to drag and dropping their apps into their /Applications folder, so it is recommended that you store all your program's resources in its application bundle directory. On first launch you can install stuff if necessary.

Only use installers when they are absolutely necessary.

ivblaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have an application that is already made to be installed on MACs but I only have the CD of it. I need to take the contents of that and repackage it so I can make it available as a download (with licensing/agreement info). I'm currently testing out DropDMG which will make it into a .dmg file. Would PackageMaker be the better route here? I'm currently running OS X v 10.3.9 but I can't seem to find PackageMaker anywhere??

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
First, it's Macs, not MACs :)

If it's a folder or just an .app, use DropDMG. If not, use PackageMaker, which comes with the Developer Tools CD that should have come with your computer.

ivblaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
Oops, my mistake :eek:
It's a folder which has the application along with other sub-folders.
I'm pretty sure that the application is a .app, this is what it says when I go to the Info (sorry but as you can tell I'm not a Mac user and get lost very easily when I do):
Kind: Application
So am I correct to assume that it is a .app?
Also, if I don't have access to the Developers Tools CD can I get PackageMaker from anywhere else? Thanks!! :)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Not that I am aware of. It's an Apple program, and so it can only be distributed by Apple.

I would suggest just using DropDMG (or you can use the free Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities).

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
ivblaze said:
Oops, my mistake :eek:
It's a folder which has the application along with other sub-folders.
I'm pretty sure that the application is a .app, this is what it says when I go to the Info (sorry but as you can tell I'm not a Mac user and get lost very easily when I do):
Kind: Application
So am I correct to assume that it is a .app?
Also, if I don't have access to the Developers Tools CD can I get PackageMaker from anywhere else? Thanks!! :)

You can download the developers tools for free from Apple. You want XCode which is actually the full set of tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.