Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
This may seem like a stupid question, but I am switiching over to a mac for the first time. Does office come with all macs, or is it a software you have to buy. I ask because I fond a pbook from J&R computers that I am looking to order and want to know if it comes with office (word, powerpoint, etc)

Thanks,
Paul

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Virtual PC

Originally posted by pdham
This may seem like a stupid question, but I am switiching over to a mac for the first time. Does office come with all macs, or is it a software you have to buy. I ask because I fond a pbook from J&R computers that I am looking to order and want to know if it comes with office (word, powerpoint, etc)

Thanks,
Paul

I'm not sure why this is entitled Virtual PC....

but Office generally does NOT come with a Mac.

Some macs have Apple's word processor included (AppleWorks) - but again, not all.

arn

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Yep, you could buy Office for Mac new, or you could buy an older, used copy on eBay, or you could switch to a suite of non-MS software-- there's tons of apps out there that serve these purposes, some free. Appleworks is kind of like a less-pro verison of Office, it can do presentations (i've never tried this), spreadsheets, text, painting, drawing. Up to you, really, just make sure you get Office for the Mac (whether you're using OS 9 or OS X, make sure it's the one you want).

pnw

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
1. No Microsoft does not allow preloading of M$ Office on Macs for one reason... They wouldn't be able to sell it to us for $300+ US.

2. There are plenty of free Office-esque Suites, most are better than M$ Office anyway.

3. iMac, iBook, and eMac all come with Appleworks. It is a lot like Microsoft Works, except everthing from office in included (Except a calender and Address book, but we have them elsewhere), and it is all with in one 50MB Program, not a 200MB Suite.

TEG

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
same here...

I've been looking into this as well. My wife has relied on Microsoft Word for the past few years with doing reports for school. Then she would save these to disk and print them at the school printer lab.

Soooo... yea... I've looked into just getting Word for our new Mac. It's like $129. Yuck. I'm sure I'll look at other word processing apps before I shell out that kind of money though.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
One thing you need to know, Powerpoint on a Mac doesn't have all the same options as it does on a PC (personal experience here, not sure if this is the same case with Excel and Word.)

But this basically has to do with the animation options in presenting. I've had to do viewgraph engineering from time to time and I can't do the same things the PC guys do (but my graphics look better :D)

And Powerpoint on a Mac can view flash and flash animations, which is pretty damn slick if you put in some interactivity in them. This is a great way to get around many of the issues, but unfortunately, you can't view Flash .swf files on the PC version.

Good luck,

D

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Whatever you do, don't pay retail. In the immortal words of C.Kramer, "Retail is for suckers."

If you know someone who's a student or works for the government, then get them to buy it for you. You'll get a huge discount.

TheMightyG

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Boston
Re: office

Originally posted by pdham

Thanks,
Paul

Apple and M$ have a new copromotion that allows you to buy Office X for $199.00 when you purchase a new mac. Makes it a bit easier to swallow than the $500.00 regular price:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/officex/prodinfo/OfficeRomance.asp

Its apparently good until April 7th.

As much as I loathe M$, I have to admit that the Mac Business Unit did a pretty good job with the X version of Office. A far different beast than Office v4.2 that I started off with in 1995 with my first Mac( 30 floppy disks...yeek)

Pablo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
Texas
I have a question about the non-MS apps (free or not) available for OS X.

Do they natively support MS file formats (mainly interested in .doc and .xls as I don't do many/any presentations)?

unc32

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
You said you wife was a student. If so, most schools have a site license for office. Meaning that all students get it for free (media fee = 10bucks). Might want to look into that if you are still in school or work at one, etc.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Someone please give the guy a straight answer!

There is a current promo from MS and Apple to sell MS Office for around $200:

http://www.apple.com/promo/office/

Check the source where you are buying your Mac to see if you can get the promo when you purchase the Mac.

My understanding is that you have to buy the two at the same time (pretty much how you would configure a PC to come with Office).

Retail is friggin expensive! what, $500 or something?

Hope this helps.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by Pablo
I have a question about the non-MS apps (free or not) available for OS X.

Do they natively support MS file formats (mainly interested in .doc and .xls as I don't do many/any presentations)?

While every now and again there are formatting issues, AppleWorks will translate back and forth with .doc files. That's why I use it--and it was free w/my iBook. Seriously though, I've ALWAYS used AW.

Regards,
Gus

pdham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
I see. I am a student at University of Madison so office X is only $25 for me so I can pick up a copy. Thanks for your responses.

Paul

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: same here...

Originally posted by sethwerkheiser

Soooo... yea... I've looked into just getting Word for our new Mac. It's like $129. Yuck.

I think that's the upgrade price (like going from Word 98 for Mac to Word X for Mac). To buy Word X for the first time its over $300 I believe. Triple Yuck. :(

Pablo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
Texas
Thanks for the information Gus.

What about a PIM? I'm used to Outlook...does OS X come with something similar, or how does Microsoft's PIM for OS X compare?

Pablo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
Texas
MacBandit,

I'm actually looking for a Personal Information Manager (PIM):

Mail
Calendar
Contacts
etc.

I'm just curious as to what OS X has built-in, or what other apps are available and recommended.

Thanks.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Pablo
MacBandit,

I'm actually looking for a Personal Information Manager (PIM):

Mail
Calendar
Contacts
etc.

I'm just curious as to what OS X has built-in, or what other apps are available and recommended.

Thanks.

Sorry you can see where I would get confused though. Personal Instant Messanger.

Anyway, Yes there are all those services built into OSX just not in one program. Apple has separated them into separate programs that way any program on the system can be written to use the Address book and calendar and such. It's really a cool idea. Instead of having one program that does it all. All the programs have access to the information if they are written to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.