Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Where can I find a log that will show me the details of what happens when I log into Tiger?

Everytime I log in, there is an app that loads and then quickly closes and I do not know what it is, but I believe it to be the cause of a few problems I've been having.

I see it appear in the dock, but just as the icon furthest to the right (in my case, System Preferences) begins to slide over, it immediately slides back before I have a chance to see anything more than the small black triangle that appears below the would-be-icon if it weren't so instantaneous.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Dunno if this helps, but go to Console.app (located in Applications/Utilities), then go to File > Open Quickly and then check out console.log and system.log

although they don't tell you much in terms of exactly what happens, I know that console.log keeps a record of the crashed apps and where crashdump saved the crash report (i.e. appname crashed...crash report written to /Users/username/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/appname.crash.log) and if it's quitting because it crashed, that would help a lot :D

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I disabled all login items. :)

I can't find anything in the logs that (from what I can tell) point to this phantom app. :(

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Happens in all accounts.

I do notice that immediately after this app loads and quits/crashes/whatever, the menubar items (all of them at once other than the Spotlight icon) appear.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I'm starting to think its the SystemUIServer. Is there anyway I can login and have that process simply not load so I can see if (aside from the lack of a menubar) there aren't any problems?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, give us a list of the processes running on your computer straight after start up, before you open any apps. Use Activity Monitor to compile this list. :)

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
XMenu
WindowServer
update
UniversalAccessApp
SystemUIServer
syslogd
slpd
securityd
rpc.lockd
pmTool
pbs
ntpd
notifyd
nfsiod
netinfod
memberd
mds
mDNSResponder
mdimport
mdimport
lookupd
loginwindow
launchd
kextd
KernelEventAgent
kernel_task
KeepSoundAwake
ipfwloggerd
HP Communications
GrowlHelperApp
Finder
dynamic_pager
Dock
distnoted
diskarbitrationd
DirectoryService
crashreporterd
coreservicesd
coreaudiod
configd
blued
automount
automount
ATSServer
AppleFileServer
Activity Monitor

XMenu, KeepSoundAwake, and GrowlHelperApp are in my Login Items list. I have tried logging in without them in that list and it makes no difference.

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
someguy said:
Where can I find a log that will show me the details of what happens when I log into Tiger?

Everytime I log in, there is an app that loads and then quickly closes and I do not know what it is, but I believe it to be the cause of a few problems I've been having.

I see it appear in the dock, but just as the icon furthest to the right (in my case, System Preferences) begins to slide over, it immediately slides back before I have a chance to see anything more than the small black triangle that appears below the would-be-icon if it weren't so instantaneous.
If Console didn't work you might want to open a Terminal and type:

sudo dmesg

That'll show you kernel messages while booting (same as when you do a verbose boot).

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Can someone who knows what they are looking at please take a look for me?

Code:
Mac:~ Gary$ sudo dmesg
Password:
standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
vm_page_bootstrap: 381425 free pages
mig_table_max_displ = 70
99 prelinked modules
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

using 3932 buffer headers and 3932 cluster IO buffer headers
IOPCCard info:   Intel PCIC probe:   TI 1510 rev 00
IOI2CController::clientReadI2C cmd key:1017, B:1, A:b0 S:24, L:1, M:3 status:0xe00002ed
-IOI2CController::clientReadI2C status = 0xe00002ed
AMS::readBytes ERROR: failed to read from I2C
AMS::freeFallIntHandler ERROR: failed to read the byte
IOI2CController::clientWriteI2C cmd key:1019, B:1, A:b0 S:24, L:1, M:2 status:0xe00002ed
-IOI2CController::clientWriteI2C status = 0xe00002ed
AMS::writeBytes ERROR: failed to write to I2C
AMS::clearInterrupt ERROR: failed to write the bytes, retval = 0xe00002ed
AMS::freeFallIntHandler ERROR: failed to clear the interrupt, retval = 0xe00002ed
IOI2CController::clientReadI2C cmd key:101b, B:1, A:b0 S:0, L:1, M:3 status:0xe00002ed
-IOI2CController::clientReadI2C status = 0xe00002ed
AMS::readBytes ERROR: failed to read from I2C
AMS::checkResult ERROR: failed to read the bytes
AMS::writeCommand ERROR: failed to check the result code
AMS::startApp ERROR: failed to send kStartAppComm
AMS::start ERROR: startApp failed
FireWire (OHCI) Apple ID 31 built-in now active, GUID 001124ff fe7375f0; max speed s800.
CSRHIDTransitionDriver::probe: 
CSRHIDTransitionDriver::start before command
Security auditing service present
BSM auditing present
disabled
rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: AB94D5B0-4470-3588-8CB0-7B78B5448B53
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
Got boot device = IOService:/MacRISC2PE/pci@f4000000/AppleMacRiscPCI/ata-6@D/AppleKauaiATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/Hitachi HTS541080G9AT00 Media/IOApplePartitionScheme/Untitled@3
BSD root: disk0s3, major 14, minor 2
CSRHIDTransitionDriver::stop
IOBluetoothHCIController::start Idle Timer Stopped
Jettisoning kernel linker.
Resetting IOCatalogue.
Matching service count = 0
Matching service count = 1
PRAM: BootBeepVolume property set to 1.
IPv6 packet filtering initialized, default to accept, logging disabled
UniNEnet: Ethernet address 00:11:24:73:75:f0
AirPortPCI_MM: Ethernet address 00:11:24:2d:97:48
[HCIController][setupHardware] AFH Is Supported
ATY,Jasper_A: vram [b8000000:04000000]
ATY,Jasper_B: vram [b8000000:04000000]
AirPort:  Link Active:  "wireless" - 00904b0cae8a - chan 6
PRAM: BootBeepVolume property set to 1.
USBF:   204. 65 AppleUSBOHCI[0x2757000] Processing WDH before suspending
AirPort:  Link DOWN (Client disAssoc 0)
System Sleep

By the way, I am already aware of the AMS errors. This is apparently something with the Sudden Motion Sensor that causes it to not activate properly until a warm reboot is performed. Hopefully something that will be fixed in the next Software Update, but not anything I'm concerned with as far as this thread goes.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
This same problem (or seemingly the same) was occuring on my iMac as well. Somehow, disabling the Volume status icon in the menubar and rebooting seems to have cleared it up. No such joy on the 'book, however.

In fact, disabling EVERY menubar item on my PowerBook did not solve the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.