Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Okvalleyguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
Kelowna BC, Canada
I have a ibook with a 30 GB hard that is jammed full. I have purchased a 250 GB Iomega External hard drive to take care of the extra files and extras from my laptop.
I have Carbon Copied my hard drive on the new Ext. Need some HELP on how to and what files/programs/fonts/languages to deleat to free up space on my laptop.
I do not know what is the best way to free up space on my laptop hard drive.
I think i would like to keep the majority of my iphotos on my external and just have a few on my laptop. What are your thoughts /ideas on what could free up some space on my laptop. I have downloaded Whatsize but do not know what to do with now. Help needed and thanks for reading

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I freed up a ton of space by converting all of my .mp3s to 128kbps AAC. I hear no loss in quality whatsoever. Make sure you DO NOT DO ALL OF YOUR MUSIC AT ONE TIME because iTunes just copies everything and then you go through and delete the MP3 files. I did each artist individually, which actually took me a long time because I have so much music, but I seriously dropped around 10GB. Totally worth it. And I did it while on my PB during lectures at college, so I was killing two birds with one stone.

Lemme know if you have questions.

Daniel.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
BurtonCCC said:
I freed up a ton of space by converting all of my .mp3s to 128kbps AAC. I hear no loss in quality whatsoever.
Daniel.

Ouch....that is a serious loss of audio quality...

You may not hear it now, but with a big sound system the lossy ness will be noticeable...

Burn your stuff to DVD's and put em in a book...that's what I do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.