Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
So, I imported a bunch of CD's through iTunes about a month ago, and saved them to my iTunes library folder on my Mini's hard drive. I recently bought a new external hard drive that I moved my whole library to, but all the songs I recently imported will not transfer with the ID3 info. Is there any way to fix this? I can't relabel all these MP3's, it'd be easier to just re-import them, but that'd take hours! Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What version ID3 tag do these tracks have? Also, do you still have them labelled correctly on the mini? If so, try converting their ID3 tags to version two or later using the Advanced menu. :)

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
mad jew said:
What version ID3 tag do these tracks have? Also, do you still have them labelled correctly on the mini? If so, try converting their ID3 tags to version two or later using the Advanced menu. :)

They are still labeled correctly on the Mini. It says the ID3 tags are version 2.2.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Try converting them to 2.3 or something. I don't understand why 2.2 isn't working for you (that's what mine are too), but maybe the process of converting the tag will help. :)

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Ok, I converted them to 2.4, and it still won't work. Let me outline exactly what I'm doing, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

1. I moved all these files into a folder onto my desktop, so that I could know which ones needed to be imported into the main library I have (the Mini only had some songs since I was waiting for the big hard drive to arrive).
2. I tried simply dragging and dropping them into iTunes, and when the tags didn't copy, I tried doing the whole "Import" selection in the menu, and the tags still didn't copy over.

So... what am I doing wrong?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You're not doing anything wrong. iTunes is notoriously picky when it comes to tags, however you imported these through iTunes so who knows why it's being such an asshat™ for you.

I don't know how to help you other than to say maybe try converting the tags again. Perhaps even use a third party app. I haven't used any myself, but VersionTracker has an abundance of them.

Also, try this with just one song. Convert it to MP3 (or whatever you have your importing preferences set at) using the Advanced menu and see if this new file is keeping its ID3 tag. :)

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Ah, nothing seems to work, and three programs I've tried all tell me there is no file info on the ID3 tags. Screw it, I guess I'll just have to reimport them. Thanks for your help, though.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
No worries. I really can't think what's wrong here. Usually if iTunes doesn't recognise a tag it's because the tag was written by another app (WinAmp's the biggest culprit), but iTunes wrote these tags herself.

Ahh well. :(

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
thats really weird, id try a few searches on google and the apple help boards before giving up yet, unless you just really want to import the cd's again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.