Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
Haha it has been a while, I don't have a recent picture.

Crown Amps, Numark Mixers and Dual CD players, MTX Audio PA Speakers, the works..

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
- 3 Technics 1200 MK2's with Shure M44-7 carts
- 12" Powerbook 1.5ghz
- Pioneer DJM500 Mixer
- Sony MDR-V700 Headphones
- Finalscratch 2
- JBL EON10 G2 Monitor
- Some Altec Lansing ADA305 speakers, 2 subwoofers, some other speakers
- +1000 records, dnb/uk hardcore/breaks/grime/dubstep

bowzer_dj_setup_may06.jpg

april06-inaction.jpg

april06-decks_powerbook.jpg

Last year around this time this was my setup... only thing different was that I had a iBook, a Stanton SA-12 Mixer, and less records :)
bowzer_decks-may05.jpg

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I have a question...
I've always wondered how this DJing thing works. What do you do when you say you "scratch" and things like that? I already asked some people I know, but they really had no idea what they were talking about. So what's the sense in mixing this stuff and how do you do it?

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Most of the DJ's that scratch and do tricks with records are into either Hip-Hop or Turntablism. Your average electronica DJ will mostly be doing beatmatching - here's a short description from wikipedia:
"Beatmatching is a technique employed by DJs to transition between two songs while performing either live at a club or event, for radio broadcast or for distribution on prerecorded mix tapes/cds, achieved by changing the tempo of a new track to match that of the currently playing track, then mixing between the two so there is no pause between songs"

The reason Hiphop DJ's do more scratching and cutting is because usually there isnt an intro to beatmatch with. With electronic genres, the record is generally broken up into 3 parts - an intro, the main part of the song, and an outro. You'd beatmatch the intro of the new track, over the outro of the old track to create the transition.

Obviously it can get alot more complicated than this :)

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Here's a drum and bass mix I did earlier today - testing out recording on the powerbook. It's mostly new stuff, some tunes I used finalscratch for. If anyone wants a tracklist I'll post it. I think its like 45mins, probably about 12 tracks - i cant remember.

(link removed for reasons of copyright)

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
bowzer said:
Here's a drum and bass mix I did earlier today - testing out recording on the powerbook. It's mostly new stuff, some tunes I used finalscratch for. If anyone wants a tracklist I'll post it. I think its like 45mins, probably about 12 tracks - i cant remember.

I'm downloading it now, but, uh, could you post a track list anyways? It's always good to know what I'm listening to! Thanks.

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
livingfortoday said:
I'm downloading it now, but, uh, could you post a track list anyways? It's always good to know what I'm listening to! Thanks.

01 Matrix & Futurebound - American Beauty
02 Hatiras - The Anthem (Kemal Remix)
03 Cyantific & Logistics - Flashback
04 Baron - At the drive in
05 Special Forces - Sidewinder (Infiltrata & Hochi Remix)
06 Tactile - Super System
>> Sub Focus - Airplane
07 Kryptic Minds & Leon Switch - More Like You (Unknown Error Remix)
08 Sub Focus - Flamenco
09 Sub Focus - Airplane
10 The Militia - Let Loose (TC Remix)
11 Leviticus - The Burial (Logistics Big, Bad & Heavy Mix)
12 Shy FX & T-Power (featuring Top Cat) - Everyday (Chase & Status Remix)
13 Tesco Value - Gunshot
14 Friction - Play the Game
15 Juju - Cool Down (Spirit Remix)
16 John B - Ass N Titties (Electropunkdrumnbass Mix)

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
So how did you do that now? Do you use records and mix them into each other? And where do you get records of the music you use?

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Yea, I used records for that - the 2 turntables are hooked up to a mixer, which you can adjust the volume of both seperatly, so 2 can be playing at once. Theres a crossfader on the mixer so you can fade over from one track to another when your ready.You also control things like the treble, mid, and bass of each turntable.

I buy most my records from local vinyl shops that stock electronic music, but I also buy records online from stores in the UK, USA, and Canada.

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Mostly taught myself... I had a few friends who showed me some of the basics though. Other than that, lots of practice. I started around Jan 2002. I try and find the pictures of when I first started out - my setup was weak, which made learning ALOT harder.

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Yea, It's all gone Pete Tong was good. Pretty funny too :)

Haha, so here's some pictures of my decks and room from when I started in 2002. Super ugly wallpaper from when the house was built in the 60's... glad I painted it red, torn up the carpet because there was hardwood underneath too.

Old decks from the 70's, one of them only had a pitch knob down, so to mix in a track properly i had to chose a track that was faster then the track playing and slow it down.... GHHETTTTOOO.
ghettodecks.jpg

Here's my room from then too, just for laughs.
DSCF2453.JPG

And here's how it looks now (cept the monitors have been replaced with a nicer widescreen LCD monitor :)
bowz_room-nov15_2005_01.jpg

My current setup is right where that monitor and nightstand are.
DSCF2455.JPG

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I really like your room in red. Although I have to say, the Dual CRTs had something to them. But you can't give up the extra space with the lcd now, can you?

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
I'd have dual LCD's if it werent for the mac mini's limitations.
I'll get another matching LCD when the intel PowerMac's come out. I only bought the mini to hold me over until then :)

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I think one of them is (was) hooked up to the PC. You use a KVM now, right?

EDIT - Love the LCD. My father actually has the 4:3 version.

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
4God said:
Say, how did you get two crt's to work with your mini? :confused:

Yea, one was a pc... but i shared the mouse + keyboard with a program called synergy. i could also move the mouse cursor from one screen, over to the other, like real dual monitors. its a great app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.