Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Ok, so this update was good except for one thing, the low end powermac only has 1 processor. Now, this makes it even harder for me to decide what to get.
The options are:

a.1Ghz Powermac, 1gb ram, superdrive, with 17" or 20" apple display, with extra 120gb internal hd and soundsticks with isub.
b.1Ghz iMac, 1gb ram, superdrive, with 120gb firewire drive and pro speakers with iSub.
c.1Ghz Powermac 15"(when updated), 1gb ram, superdrive, with 120gb firewire drive and jbl creature speakers.

It's hard to decide what i should get. I will be using it mainly for video editing and photoshop. I am out of the country for about 6weeks every summer, so portability would be nice, and I travel with in the states for about 2-3weeks a year. Thanks for any input or advice.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: 1Ghz PM, 1Ghz iMac, or 1Ghz PB?

Originally posted by Wano
Ok, so this update was good except for one thing, the low end powermac only has 1 processor. Now, this makes it even harder for me to decide what to get.
The options are:

a.1Ghz Powermac, 1gb ram, superdrive, with 17" or 20" apple display, with extra 120gb internal hd and soundsticks with isub.
b.1Ghz iMac, 1gb ram, superdrive, with 120gb firewire drive and pro speakers with iSub.
c.1Ghz Powermac 15"(when updated), 1gb ram, superdrive, with 120gb firewire drive and jbl creature speakers.

It's hard to decide what i should get. I will be using it mainly for video editing and photoshop. I am out of the country for about 6weeks every summer, so portability would be nice, and I travel with in the states for about 2-3weeks a year. Thanks for any input or advice. Thanks for any input or help!
The Powerbook is the most expensive option, but if you can afford it, how about a Powerbook with an extra display for use at home?

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
If portability is an issue at all, you really don't have a choice. You sacrifice internal slots with the PB or the iMac, but both are capable machines (I know my PB is, and I've seen the iMac in action, and it seems very nice too).

If portability is not an issue and you think you might at some point want to dig around inside to either add things or whatnot, you should probably get the powermac.

That's strictly my opinion, so take it for what it is worth... about $.02

M

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
I would like to have the powerbook for portabillity, but then again is it really worth it to spend the extra money? My limit is about $3000-3200, so this is a big investment, I want to make the right choice but their or so many options....it's difficult to decide...hehe. Thanks for the input!

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
The investment is worth it.

17" APB all the way. You will never regret that purchase since you won't be sacrificing speed or performance... and you'll have a machine to show off to the world.

Portability reigns supreme. :D

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
PowerBook.

It will do everything the desktops will, but it is portable.

When I bought my present Mac, I debated for quite a while as to whether to buy the desktop or PowerBook. The PowerBook is more expensive, the the portability is well worth it. When used as a desktop, it takes up less space. When you need to use your desk for work other than that on the computer, you can simply close the PowerBook and put it in a drawer. Then you have your whol desk to spread out your papers on.

Get the PowerBook. You will be very pleased.

Copper Top_14

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2002
I'm no pro but i use both, video editing and photoshop. i have a powerbook 1ghz and powermac 1ghz. the big question is capture and media storage. you can do anything on either one, but you only have one firewire port on the powerbook 1ghz, and i've been told not to connect a video camera and a storage drive together and the way i see it if can't store you media on a seperate drive then you backing up. Now the powermac, it comes with two firewire ports and for $70.00 you can pop in a new firewire card and have 4 more ports and its faster and its super cheap now. If money is the question, i would go with the powermac and the 20" display and you can always upgrade it.
just my opinion

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Originally posted by Copper Top_14
I'm no pro but i use both, video editing and photoshop. i have a powerbook 1ghz and powermac 1ghz. the big question is capture and media storage. you can do anything on either one, but you only have one firewire port on the powerbook 1ghz, and i've been told not to connect a video camera and a storage drive together and the way i see it if can't store you media on a seperate drive then you backing up.

You have a FireWire 800 and a FireWire 400 port. With the adapter you have two 400Mbps ports...

That is, whenever Apple brings the 15" model up-to-date.

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Well, it appears that you're think 15 inch PB, so I'd wait for updates on that is you go with the PB.

If you want a mobile computer, then that's the way to go. If not, go with the PowerMac. It has the best upgradeability, bigger display (if you get the 20), and better architecture. The way the PM G4 is designed, it should run the fastest of the lot. Plus there'll likely be a Powerlogix board of sometime that will make it upgradeable to a faster processor for a few hundred bucks.

All three are great looking and will attract attention.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Thanks for all the advice. I been looking around a little more, and a Dual 1.25ghz PM upgraded tp 512mb ram and superdrive with a 17" apple display would be cheaper than a 1ghz,1Gb ram, and superdrive with a 20" apple cinema display...it would also be the same as a 17" Powerbook with original specs. So, I think I might get the Dual 1.25ghz...but then again I really like the 20" display and 17" Powerbook. I wont be buying this system untill end of march or beginning of april, so I still have a while to decide.
But, it's drivng me nuts.

StevenFW

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2002
Originally posted by Wano
Thanks for all the advice. I been looking around a little more, and a Dual 1.25ghz PM upgraded tp 512mb ram and superdrive with a 17" apple display would be cheaper than a 1ghz,1Gb ram, and superdrive with a 20" apple cinema display...it would also be the same as a 17" Powerbook with original specs. So, I think I might get the Dual 1.25ghz...but then again I really like the 20" display and 17" Powerbook. I wont be buying this system untill end of march or beginning of april, so I still have a while to decide.
But, it's drivng me nuts.

I posed a similar question just a couple of days ago addressing just this, in a setting of the PM upgrades....very tough....if you take the emotion (and price comparison) out of the equation, the algorithm starts with portability or not, and with portability, I like to include the footprint as well, because this goes together with it...if you need portability and/or like the form factor for a crowded (or not so crowded) space, then get the Powerbook and end it here...however if you're like me, and you THINK that you will like the above, but you are not sure about future need, well then, you are led to consider the following:
A 1 GHz or dual 1.25/1.42 PM desktop will include:
1. Faster chip(s)
2. Bigger/faster HD
3. More RAM (or potential for such)
4. Faster Superdrive (1X vs. 4X for DVD-big difference)
5. Better graphics processor
6. Better ergonomics with desktop (although easily remedied, IMHO, with keyboard, mouse and laptop stand of some variety)
7. Better monitor (assuming that you choose an Apple display)

Now, each item's importance depends on what you do with the computer, etc., obviously, but it demonstrates that you get better architecture with a desktop, as you always have, but the gap is closing quickly. I can tell you that when I get to this point in the algorithm and consider the above, what stands out is no. 7, the monitor. The Cinema Displays (20, 23) are so superior to the laptop displays (not that those are shabby), and I love the gargantuan screen real estate at the now reduced prices. I really want the 20" display.

So, looking at the picture, here I am thinking strongly about portability/footprint, especially for the future, and I'm led to the PB 17" ( I want the largest laptop possible for when I'm portable). However, I still can't get past having a bigger, better screen working at my desk, and that is where the 20" comes in. Thus, I am seriously leaning toward buying the PB 17" and the 20" cinema display. I think this is clearly the best of both worlds, as long as the PB will drive the monitor as well as a desktop with its better graphics processor (with no signal degradation, etc.). What is sacrificed with this approach? Well, 1 through 6. But when I break those down, they don't really sway me towards the desktop. I would like all of them, but they are not clear necessities. People may have different opinions. What do other people think? This is just my 2 cents. Is it worth taking this approach and giving up 1-6? Oh, I don't do heavy graphics/video.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Looks like the 1ghz iMac is out...it has DDRAM as you all probably know already, this is very tempting, cause it has everything but expandability and L3 cache. I would also be able to get this system in matter of weeks instead of two months. But, then again I think the powermac would be better.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
I have been reading more about the 17" PoweBook and that thing is hot! Would it be worth the money to get one of those now, then later when the 970 chip is released get a apple desktop?...or should i get a dual 1.25Ghz PM with 17" Apple display?

The reason I am thinking the laptop is cause all the good reasons mentioned by you guys and that it is top of the line, as in it will out perform any PC laptop...right?

Is anyone doing video editing on a Powerbook, if so, how is it with rendering and running FCP, photoshop, after effects, etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.