Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I was just wondering, if Apple did decide to sell a 40 GB iPod, who would buy it. Wouldn't that be 8,000 songs that you could fit onto it?

So, would you buy a 40 Gig?

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I would not buy the 40 GB iPod. In iTunes, I have less that a thousand songs. So, if the 5 Gig gets updated, that is what I am going to buy.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
40GBs? Oh yeah!

I've got 33GBs of music and audio files (books) on my computer. I would love to finally be able to do an autosync. Although I have had every config. of the IPOD, I have always had more music than ipod space...

with the 5GB, I had roughly 8GB of files...
with the 10GB, I had about 17GB...
with the 20GB, I had 23GB...

I still have go through and manually decide what to keep and what to leave which can take more than an hour, honestly. I have purposely held back on getting some new audio for the fact that I'm holding out for something that will cover my audio collection.

iJim

Das

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
I have about ohhh, 64 mbs of mp3s. Really, I like to play songs until I can'ts stands them no mores. If Apple were to make an ultra small ipod with at least 1gb, I'd be more inclined to listen to it, but 40gbs, dang...

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
good god no i wouldnt, the HD in my PB is only 60gb, and not even a 6th of that is mp3's. i MIGHT get a 5gb iPod if theyre updated with the same design as the 10 and 20, but i wouldnt need more than that. 90% of my music is ripped straight from cd, and i dont need my whole library in a portable device. 5gb is still a hell of a lot of music for a few "outings" away from your main music library, i think. and besides, an iPod will never be owned by me until they have stereo mic/line in! rawr!:p

pmh

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2003
Sure - why not?

Who says you can only store mp3's on the iPODs? I'm thinking that it could be useful for all sorts of data that I'd like to carry around with me.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I'd seriously consider a 40GB iPod.

I could take my workstation to any Mac.

All of my files (I'm a web designer, no huge files for me) could fit on a 40GB iPod, so I'd simply install my apps, throw on my documents, and take it to any Mac that I work on. Plus, I'd still have room for thousands of MP3s for long trips, the car stereo, etc.

Yes, I'd buy one.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I'm saving for a new iMac, but I might just throw in an iPod purchase at the same time. I've got to "one up" my friend's MP3 CD player, and I could use the extra portability that an iPod would offer (I use Macs at my office and at home).

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
No

I would not buy a 40GB iPod. I simply don't have enough music to make it worthwhile, and if I wanted it for an external hard drive I'd just buy an external hard drive.

I'll just stick with my 10GB, thank you.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
I'd seriously consider it. Not so much for music alone, but for a portable hard drive solution that could ALSO provide some entertainment.

Cost would be a factor for sure.

MrBillGates

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
I'd buy a 40 gig without hesitation. I have a lot of music, audio books, and data I'd like to carry around with me. However, the device would have to be $499 or under.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i'd get a 10 gig got about 5.5 gigs mp3s which is growing, but not that fast. i already have a portable 40gig hardrive so i don't need the space for anything else.

minimac

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2003
DE
I could backup my entire iBook to a 20GB iPod, so the 40GB really wouldn't be worth it to me.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
i want a 400Gb iPod. I have all my music in AIFFs. So 40Gb is only 1,000 songs. I'm closing in on 5,000 and not nearly halfway through my music collection. Plus i need to make room for my ever growing music. When AAC audio becomes popular you're all going to have to recompress your music from the originals. I keep it at 1411KBPS so if i ever need to compress, then i can.

Tyler

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
mmmmmm.

alot of people would. does apple want to do something real cool?

release an ipod that has the Toshiba PCMCIA HDD in it. 5GB in a PCMCIA card.

that would make the ipod very very light.

like somebody else mentioned. a 1GB ipod that is very small and very light would be very good.

i would get it if the price was right.

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
cost

I'd be afraid of the cost! hehe... I remember when I was on a big kick to get an iPod. I was all, "Man, I gotta get at LEAST the 20GB for "all" my Mp3s"

Then one day I looked at how many mp3s I had - I have like 3GB. Duh.

I don't think I'd need a 40GB, nor could I afford would probably. A 10GB would be neato though for files and other goodies.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
I would get the 40GB iPod as a replacement for my 5GB iPod not because I have that many songs, but for the convenience of having your backups and music in one location. That would be really nice. It would also be cheaper than having an iPod and another FireWire external drive.

pmcaleer

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
I'd consider...

I've been saving pennies for a 20GB iPod (and have been waiting for the next revision, really) but would consider the 40GB, assuming it would be the same price as today's 20GB.

Reasons? I can put important files, or even non-important ones, there, and not worry about the 11GB music library being affected. That would be a fantastic bonus, and I'm sure that Apple is thinking along those lines too.

"It holds your music, your contacts, your appointments, your social security num..." oops!

- Paul

occam

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2003
Yes, in a jiffy

Yes. The extra storage is a no-brainer to gain the convenience of no hassles syncing. Plus, room for emergency storage of other files e.g., digicam.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
iPodLife

What they really need to do is allow you to hook your digital camera / DV Camera up to the iPod and allow you to import photo / video into it on the road w/o your mac.

So the iPod has iPhoto3Go and iMovie3Go on it so you can import as you wish (with file names etc) or import video by stop/start recording or film directly to your iPod.

Then you just hook your iPod up when you get home, open iMovie or iPhoto and bam! you're all set. Leave your camera in the camera bag.

That is a compelling reason for a 40GB iPod. Music alone - nah.

THAT is an iLife. The iPod should be something that if you're doing digital media on a Mac that seriously makes life easier. Make iPod almost a necessity, less of a luxury. More of a digital media device, less of an MP3 Player.

Sure it'd be nice to preview your movies etc on the iPod but ehhhh, I'd rather save that battery life and cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.