Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

findpankaj

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
I need an Xterm type of interface to do my development work. Is something included in X11SDK? I installed the package but the application is not getting invoked from /usr/X11R6/bin/Xquartz
I am getting the following error:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/X11R6/bin/./Xquartz
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
==========

Any idea about this?
What are the tools you guys use for your work. I normally use humming bird software on my office PC. It provides a great interface to Unix servers.

Even a basic Xterm type of application would also help. I don't like terminal software which my Mac has.

Thanks.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I think that you will need to reinstall X11 from your OS X disc, X11 should just start on double-click and xterm should be there.

(then again, if the only part you want is xterm, why not just use Terminal?)

findpankaj

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
grapes911 said:
X11 is great. It should be on your OS X install disk.

Thanks. But is it included in X11SDK or another Software?
I can't find on my OS Disk.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
slooksterPSV said:
When I install my X11 its like on Optional or Additional Installs off of the Mac OS X DVD.
Yes. To install X11, stick in your Tiger DVD, open up the disk in Finder and click on "Optional Installs". After clicking "OK", "Agree" etc, you should be faced with a list with check boxes. Click on the arrow next to "Applications" to expand the list, then click the check box next to "X11" and click "Install".

demallien

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
findpankaj said:
I don't like terminal software which my Mac has.

Why ever not? A terminal is a terminal is a terminal. You type text in, it spits text back out... About the only worthwhile innovation that I have ever seen in a terminal program on Mac/Linux/BSD is the ability to have multiple sessions open as child windows of the terminal app, rather than having to run a root window each time. And even that "improvement" wouldn't be enough for me to bother changing the default on my system...

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
demallien said:
Why ever not? A terminal is a terminal is a terminal.
The OP mentioned Humming Bird Software. Humming Bird is known (at least to me) for it's tunneling capabilities. Terminal lacks this, but X11 does not.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
findpankaj said:
I I normally use humming bird software on my office PC. It provides a great interface to Unix servers.

When I discovered VNC, I stopped using Hummingbird Exceed. Exceed worked fine, but any kind of flakey connection (e.g. from home) meant I lost the session.

VNCserver on your Unix servers keeps the session information on the server itself, so if you lose a connection you can reconnect to exactly the same session.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
findpankaj said:
Even a basic Xterm type of application would also help. I don't like terminal software which my Mac has.

If all you want is an xterm then installing X11 is rather a heavy-weight approach.

Personally, I don't have any problems with the OS X terminal program but there are some alternatives out there:

iTerm
MacWyse

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
yellow said:
Uhhh.. it's the same thing as an xTerm? Except no X11. :confused:
Except for tunnelling (Apparently, though i've never succeeded on my Mac) which lets you run applications with a GUI on your Mac remotely...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Eraserhead said:
Except for tunnelling (Apparently, though i've never succeeded on my Mac) which lets you run applications with a GUI on your Mac remotely...

That would be covered under the 'no X11' clause of my post.. as it allows you to run X11 GUI apps from a remote UNIX box. ;)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Fair point, though I think thats probably what he want's to do, especially after mentioning eXceed which lets you do that on Windows...

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Eraserhead said:

I've been able to SSH tunnel X11 on my mac. I connected to my Roomate's x86 running Gentoo...some apps didn't work, but I was able to run Firefox, plus all the goofy standards like Xeyes, etc. Never tried it across the internet though.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
savar said:
I've been able to SSH tunnel X11 on my mac. I connected to my Roomate's x86 running Gentoo...some apps didn't work, but I was able to run Firefox, plus all the goofy standards like Xeyes, etc. Never tried it across the internet though.
I've SSH'ed to the Server at my school, but like you said, never with X11 though... Hmmm... I wanna try.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
savar said:
Never tried it across the internet though.
It works across the internet, I've even done it across the Atlantic (i.e. In Europe connecting to a computer in US), although that was a bit painful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.