Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy Beatles music from the iTunes store if you could?

• Yes

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • May do

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • Probably not

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 42 39.6%

• Total voters

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
What with the ongoing Apple Corps vs Apple saga and the whole kerfuffle with Beatles music not being on iTunes, would you actually buy any Beatles songs from the store if they were available?

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
i'd buy it if i bought anything from the itunes music store, i prefer actual cd's, and they tend not to cost much more! 128 is far to low a bitrate when its your only copy!

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I voted no, but that's because I have quite a few Beatles CDs and I never buy anything from the iTMS anyway.

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
I love the Beatles. Started listening to them a few weeks ago and I think they're brilliant. Voted yes.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
As the youngest of 6 kids, I grew up with siblings who were fanatical over the Beatles. As a result, they were the first substantial influence on my musical taste (apart from Alvin and the Chipmunks;) ).
While I have most of what I'd want already, there are a few tunes I'd pick up here and there.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Have pretty much all of it on cd already, although i hear there being remastered.. will wait to see what they do with them.

Seems much akin to Lucas trying to get me to buy Star Wars again...

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I wouldn't buy any of there cd's or songs because I really don't like their music or would have the need to ever really listen to it.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I would buy them if the sound quality was MUCH better than the current CD releases, which are just brutal. The whole catalog is in dire need of a remix using modern technology. It has nothing to do with the quality of the original mixes, I think (although the stereo mixes of the albums up to and including Sgt. Pepper are bad), but rather with the digital technology that was in place in 1987, when the CDs were issued.

Listen to the difference between 'Eleanor Rigby' on the current CD issue of 'Revolver' and the version on the recently issued 'Yellow Submarine' soundtrack. No comparison.

When the songs ALL sound like that, I'll buy 'em. Otherwise, my ripped CDs are fine.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Maybe. I only have a few of their songs right now-- so if I were to randomly come upon a song or two of theirs that I just had to have, then I might.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
Rip the 1 disc

You can find beatles 1 for well under 10 dollars on Amazon and other sites. This gives you 27 tracks of beatles gold for well under .40 a track, and you can rip them at whatever quality you want.

You can choose to pay the Beatles (new) or not (used), and you can save much money compared to whatever you may pay to itunes.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
If I did use iTunes to buy music then I wouldn't buy the Beatles. I think they're seriously over rated. I normally only use iTunes to buy audio books or comedy cds. I prefer to own real albums in RL as crazy as that might sound.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I'm not sure what you'll learn from this poll. Maybe you need more options, since not buying any Beatles on iTMS can be due to: not liking them; want to punish them for a stupid court case; have all the Beatles you're going to ever own; never buy anything on iTMS.

I myself don't care about the court case but won't buy any Beatles from iTMS because I already have all the Beatles songs I'm ever going to own (I like them, although they're not favourites of mine and I wouldn't play their music too oftern)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.