Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
I have my pc, yes, regular pc, not a mac, but i also have purchased a mac display, how do i connect them?

I think i look for a DVI female to VGA male, can't find nothing.

I am sure there are people using apple's display as monitor, how come I don't find much information how to puchase one?

anywhere in nyc i can just buy it from store?

please advise.

thanks

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
What type of video output does your PC have?

What Apple display did you purchase? What sort of video input does it have?

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
the pc has ati redeon 7600 pro which has regular vga and svideo out.
the display is formac 20" which has the DVI and a ADC converter.

thanks

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
chrislee8 said:
the pc has ati redeon 7600 pro which has regular vga and svideo out.
the display is formac 20" which has the DVI and a ADC converter.

thanks

Impossible. You need a DVI or ADC port on the graphics card.

You can get a ADC to DVI adapter for $100, but just get another videocard. May I suggest nVida 5200 FX 128 MB DDR RAM. My dad has it, and it has a Duallink DVI-I. Extreme!:D

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
Josias said:
Impossible. You need a DVI or ADC port on the graphics card.

You can get a ADC to DVI adapter for $100, but just get another videocard. May I suggest nVida 5200 FX 128 MB DDR RAM. My dad has it, and it has a Duallink DVI-I. Extreme!:D

Is it really impossible?

My 7600 has a DVI port, so it works for my PC with this monitor.

But I have 4 computers (2 desktops and 2 laptops) only the graphics machine has the DVI port. I like to connect two of my laptops with this monitor, I bought a comtop DVI to VGA adapter from DataVision. But it is not working.

Do I have to spend $300 for a DVI to VGA converter?

There gotta be someone has both mac and pc using DVI display.

Come'on, help me out, thanks

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
Maybe I should sell this one and get a 20" VGA.

is DVI specific to Mac? if yes, I will add one more to my "don't buy mac" list. (teasing u :p)

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
chrislee8 said:
...I bought a comtop DVI to VGA adapter from DataVision. But it is not working.

Do I have to spend $300 for a DVI to VGA converter?

You're confusing a DVI to VGA adapter with a VGA to DVI converter. They are not the same thing. What you bought allows you to connect a VGA display to a computer with a DVI port. What you need is a convertor that allows you to connect a DVI display to a computer with a VGA port (this is much more difficult, which is why it costs more).

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Are there any alternative displays out there which have DVI and VGA inputs on them? A good compromise for someone wanting to hook up a Mac and PC to the same display when needed would be to have both cables connected to the display and then plug in devices whenever you want, (permanently is need be), and just switch inputs on the display depending on use.

However it sounds like you want to hook up two PCs to this display, which begs the question why buy a display that has only seemed to cause you problems, especially when you knew first off it was Mac targetted?

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
steve_hill4 said:
Are there any alternative displays out there which have DVI and VGA inputs on them? A good compromise for someone wanting to hook up a Mac and PC to the same display when needed would be to have both cables connected to the display and then plug in devices whenever you want, (permanently is need be), and just switch inputs on the display depending on use.

However it sounds like you want to hook up two PCs to this display, which begs the question why buy a display that has only seemed to cause you problems, especially when you knew first off it was Mac targetted?

To do that you would need a display with just vga, a dvi graphics card can easily be connected with a vga monitor by using a small adapter that usually comes with the computer or can be purchased for around $20.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
chrislee8 said:
Is it really impossible?

My 7600 has a DVI port, so it works for my PC with this monitor.

then what are you bitching about.

vga sucks it's blurry and gets interference, just do an all dvi setup, maybe buy a dual dvi port graphics card like a 6600

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
Hector said:
then wat are you bitching about.

vga sucks it's blurry and gets interference, just do an all dvi setup, maybe buy a dual dvi port graphics card like a 6600

if u learn to read in full instead of bitching, i have two laptop(sony vaio and lenovo x41t) which don't have DVI port, that is why i m bitching, bitch.

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
reh said:
You're confusing a DVI to VGA adapter with a VGA to DVI converter. They are not the same thing. What you bought allows you to connect a VGA display to a computer with a DVI port. What you need is a convertor that allows you to connect a DVI display to a computer with a VGA port (this is much more difficult, which is why it costs more).

I think that is it. You answered my doubts. Thanks so much.

I need to get rid of my beloved formac display now. :(

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
steve_hill4 said:

it is ok, i m not saying it is end of world for me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.