Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
The last cpu upgrade for the powerbooks was in november, and then there was the case with bluetooth, airport extreme, and firewire 2 on the 17" and 12". If apple still keeps it cpu upgrade timeframe do you guys think that they might upgrade the cpu when they upgrade the 15" to aluminium, sometime in may?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
alot of people are waiting to get an upgraded pbook 15". although, there are several rumors (amazing, here!!) floating around asa to why they wont just yet:
-Apple Stores have alot of TiBook stock
-Could hurt 17" sales
-They cant be bothered after just updating them and releasing new powerbooks.

oh well. i want t 15" powerbook no matter what features they have. i dont need airport, fwire 800, btooth, lit up kb.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
There is still a crowd who want the os9 boot ability.. for them Apple still has an answer. There is no doubt though that apple has stacked the cards in favor of a 17". Bluetooth, FW800, AP-X, and the like... I think we'll see it by May at latest, but thats just my gut feeling.

occam

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2003
PB15 == MacOS9

One hypothesis is that Apple will not update the PB15 but will keep it until June when they phase out the MacOS9 backward compatibility. If this hypothesis is true, everyone waiting can thank Quark (any others?) for the delayed introduction. If the delay is that long, I may not buy until next year since it'll be due for 970 by then. I don't see Apple continuing the staggered introductions indefinitely since that seems silly (one or the other of the powerbooks would always be a poor man's PB). It'll be interesting to see if this hypothesis becomes truth.

OTOH, I just wish Apple would start making it simple to buy their stuff by just producing the goods and getting on with upgrades. The delayed introduction of the new PB15 is just annoying and mystifying to those who need and want the upgraded features (but do not necessarily want to wait a full year for a 970 upgrade if they could get an upgraded PB15 now).

movmkr

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
I'm going crazy waiting for the updated 15"

I've been looking at the Powerbooks for over a year now and just today I sold my car which gives me the money to go buy one. And now I have to wait. I hope they're not going to sit on this all the way till summer so they can update the line all at once. Just a nice quite little update, tucked in somewhere in the middle of the PowerMac updates or the iMac updates...

Before anyone says "do you really need this or that" let me say yes I do, so don't bother. ;)

That thread was very interesting, I hope the bit about "any day now" is true. I also think that guy with the fetal position and the coma had the right idea...

Take care all - Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.