Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnotherMortal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
Baltimore
Is there a way to disable the sleep function of the iBook when I close the lid? I couldn't quicly find anything on Google, and thought someone here might now. I have an iBook 600mhz 16VRAM model. (the one *after* the reset switch by the ports) I know the PowerBooks can do this, and I'd hate to have to go that route, 'cause my intent is to spend as little money as possible while making an efficient use of my current computer componets.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
that's a pretty bad idea...the iBook goes to sleep when you close the lid for a very good reason...it will overheat and damage the components.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
It won't overheat or damage anything. I do this all the time with my Ti 550 which is hotter than any iBook, and Apple even says that this is one of the iBook's capabilities. There is a fan inside the iBook that will turn on if things get too toasty. In order to get the iBook to stay awake with the lid closed, you have to attach an external monitor, then close the lid, then attach a USB input device, and it will wake and recognize only the external monitor, not its built-in LCD. In order to switch it back to normal, you have to put it back to sleep, detach the monitor, open the lid, and wake it again.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
its ok to have it ON and closed, but not really to USE it and keep it closed. melted TiBook

this does happen, and its aint good..of course running something like folding or seti will keep your processor at full throttle almost constantly.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
um, i was under the impression that if the processor got too hot or certain other components got too hot they would shut off. Not that if with the computer was closed and the heat was enough to damage the screen or keyboard that it would shut off. I would also assume that the chip can take temps higher than the LCD can.

of course the g3s run much cooler than the g4s.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by uhlawboi80
um, i was under the impression that if the processor got too hot or certain other components got too hot they would shut off. Not that if with the computer was closed and the heat was enough to damage the screen or keyboard that it would shut off. I would also assume that the chip can take temps higher than the LCD can.

of course the g3s run much cooler than the g4s.

my guess is that the process or would have to be hot enough to shut off to make the entire keyboard and lcd melt. it takes a lot of heat from a tiny chip to dissapate that far and cause that kind of damage. I think the picture you are thinking of had a problem prior to the overheat.

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
When I tried to close my iBook and then plug in the keyboard (with the VGA adapter plugged in since boot-up), the screen came on for a second, then the iBook went back to sleep. Any ideas on what happened, or how I can fix it. if it matters, i have the "macally ice" type of keyboard. right now my solution is to keep the screen at about a 30-45 degree angle from the keyboard that way the iBook is sort of down, and it isn't sleeping. Is this okay for the hinge? :confused: Thanks, everyone!:D

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
perhaps it did...but you have to remember that apple designs its laptops to disipate heat through the keyboard. so i dont think with the keyboard unventilated like it would be with the screen closed would handle the heat too well.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
keep in mind, processor heat isn't the only thing you're dealing with. the HD puts off a great deal of heat, and i don't know if SETI is HD-independent (runs when HD is spun down). a lot of things could contribute to a problem like that... and i doubt these keys are exactly meant for high temperatures...

pnw

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
well of course if you're not using it the closed lid's not gonna matter but the thing is if you do use it the laptop will overheat...and even though the TiBook does get hotter than the iBook while you use it, the metal casing on the TiBook acts as a heat sink, while the iBook's plastic casing doesn't really do anything about the heat. So it is possible to damage your iBook with the lid closed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.