Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Standardized benchmarking like this was discussed in the Establishing Standard Benchmarks thread, this however is a Photoshop specific test where as benchmarks discussed in that thread was for lots of different applications.

This speed test is in the form of an action and test image for photoshop and will perform a series of tests to determine how fast your system can perform them, the test must be done with the included image to insure uniformity.

This test has been tested by professional photographers, photoshop professionals and lowly retouch artists! and all are in agreement that this test represents a large amount of the people that use photoshop, although the action could obviously not cater for every element otherwise it would be far to complex for slower systems.

you can download the retouchartists.com speed test from Here

Thanks to MacRumors for being part of this test.

Edit

Please post system specs and software version detail in the thread (rather than "see in sig") so that people know what the system was even when you change your signature. Thanks.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm assuming we should post our results?

4 minutes 36 seconds

Rev. B 17" iMac G5, 2.0 GHz G5, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600, in Photoshop CS.

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
i feel slow!

14 min 32 sec

12" powerbook - 1.33 Ghz - 1.25 Gb - Photoshop CS

bigfib

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
5 Mins 4 seconds.

Intel Cored Duo 17" 1.83 Mhz - 1.5 GB - Photoshop CS1 (running under rosetta)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm assuming all the intel Macs are completing this test in Photoshop running under Rosetta?

That will lower your score significantly. In reality, your computer is much faster than represented here.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2004
EricNau said:
I'm assuming all the intel Macs are completing this test in Photoshop running under Rosetta?

That will lower your score significantly. In reality, your computer is much faster than represented here.

Yes, they are Rosetta times, which is really important to people that are perhaps looking to buy intel machines for pro work etc and want to compare against PPC times.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
1 minute 19 seconds.
PowerMac G5 Quad 6.5GB RAM

Wow, how disappointing. Yeah, it's pretty fast, but for a bit more money spent than on a system compared to BakedBeans, I would expect faster results. :(

BTW, BakedBeans, good speed time and congrats on your apparently new system. :)

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
BakedBeans said:
Yes, they are Rosetta times, which is really important to people that are perhaps looking to buy intel machines for pro work etc and want to compare against PPC times.

I would like to see them test under bootcamp and windows (on Mac).

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2004
4God said:
1 minute 19 seconds.

Wow, how disappointing. Yeah, it's pretty fast, but for a bit more money spent than on a system compared to BakedBeans, I would expect faster results. :(

BTW, BakedBeans, good speed time and congrats on your apparently new system. :)

hell... so would I!!!

Maybe the difference is made up by my disk being a bit faster.

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
BakedBeans said:
maybe the test relys to much on the disk?

and the graphics card maybe?

i guess we can draw conclusions after more test results.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Dafke said:
and the graphics card maybe?

erm.

no

:)

I didnt actually mean that there is anything wrong with the action (im pretty confident that the action is spot on) i just meant maybe that the disk is playing a larger part in the timing over his machine.

i guess we can draw conclusions after more test results.

yeah - the more people that hit it, the better

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
BakedBeans said:
I didnt actually mean that there is anything wrong with the action (im pretty confident that the action is spot on) i just meant maybe that the disk is playing a larger part in the timing over his machine.

i understand that, thats what i also meant about the graphics card, or doesn't the card have any influence on the performance in this test?

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
UK
A PC time for you

3mins 19 seconds on:

Amd 4400 X2 (2.2 Ghz 2x 1MB cache) with 2MB Ram, 1x250GB and 1x300GB drives on Asus A8N-SLi (nForce 4 chipset) motherboard. Ati X1900 XTX 512MB Graphics Card.

Windows XP SP2 and Photoshop CS2

Funny, I expected it to be faster than that. Makes those dual and Quad G5's look good!:cool:

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
4God said:
1 minute 19 seconds.

Wow, how disappointing. Yeah, it's pretty fast, but for a bit more money spent than on a system compared to BakedBeans, I would expect faster results.

BTW, BakedBeans, good speed time and congrats on your apparently new system.

Photoshop isn't coded to take advantage of more then 2 CPUs. So currently the fastest photoshopping machine is a dual 2.7 G5.

Blame Adobe.

On the bright side, during that 1:19, you can be doing something else and it will not lengthen your benchmark times, since you'd still have half of your CPU power idle. Or two programs could be processing something at a pretty decent speed. Basically, the Quad is a great multitasking machine, not a super fast one. :)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Photoshop isn't coded to take advantage of more then 2 CPUs. So currently the fastest photoshopping machine is a dual 2.7 G5
CS2 is, but is not across the board - some actions are not multi-processor aware, some are.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
BakedBeans said:
thats strange huh?

i added more to the action... now your getting a faster time

Yeah, I was like - ah....huh - the actions you added may be multi-processor aware.

I didn't look to see what you had added from the original.

Edit - and I am seriously considering getting a Raptor Drive now, which has never even entered my mind before.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2004
blaskillet4 said:
Photoshop isn't coded to take advantage of more then 2 CPUs. So currently the fastest photoshopping machine is a dual 2.7 G5.

I'm not saying you are wrong.. but i Think you are :)

Any chance someone can check their activity monitor whilst the test is running?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.