Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austincpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
Long Beach, CA
I have three options:
1. Get a 23" display (but put me between a rock and a hard place as far as money is concerned)
2. Get a 20" and be happy
3. Get two 17"

I do mainly basic stuff and a little bit of Final Cut Pro work and PhotoShop (but just for school)

Thanks
P.S. This is kinda hypothetical, i'm not really sure right now, but i have the options, and later this year i know i'm gonna take one of them.
P.S.S. What do they mean that the 23" is ready for color correction apps? http://www.apple.com/displays/acd23

kay

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2002
Buying the 17" would be a mistake, IMO. You're getting a much better display in the 20"... widescreen and all.

I'm getting a 20" and a DVI-ADC adapter within the next month... I've been looking forward to a mid-range, cost-efficient flat-panel for so long.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: Which display?

Originally posted by austincpy
P.S.S. What do they mean that the 23" is ready for color correction apps? http://www.apple.com/displays/acd23
You can use software and a spectrometer (or is it called something else?) to calibrate the monitor (correct me if i'm wrong please) to create custom ColorSync profiles on your computer (and you can calibrate yours by looking in the display preferences I believe).
Apple's suggesting the Eye-One spectrophotometer (http://www.i1color.com) from GretagMacbeth and I think it's pretty decent.

Oh, btw, it's P.P.S. not P.S.S.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

I have three options:
1. Get a 23" display (but put me between a rock and a hard place as far as money is concerned)
3. Get two 17"
Of these options, if you can't afford the 23", I'd say get the 20" and later on if that is insufficient display space, you can add another 20" (or really any size display).

(That is, get the second display after your wallet/credit card recover.)

spacepower

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
which display? i had the same question

hmmm good one

well I spent 4+ hours in the apple store the past week comparing them side by side. I can afford both the 20 and 23. But i am inclined to go against the 23 in favor of the 20. the 20 is crisper and brighter. FOR REAL! Supposedly the 23 is going to get updated with a better lcd with same size and pixels but better pixel response and brightness, in the next several months. i am purchasing this week and although i drool over the 23 i think the 20 is better looking.

When the were both set on maximum brightness, the 20 looked better even when i was standing in front of the 23 and the 20 was 4 feet away.

Here is a test i performed today after reading reports of awkward whites on the 23. On both machines, go to the preferences>desktop and set the desktop for white, in the solid colors folder. there is an option for white at the far right. i compared the 23 and 20 next to each other. the 23 had a slight bluish tint compared to the 20. The 20 is much brighter too!

I don't mean to bash on the 23, i wanted one until today. i just think the 20 is a better display. I will buy a 20 for now and maybe in a year I will get a 23 after they update the display.

I would love the extra pixels of the 23, but the 20 beats it hands down. I would love to check the formac 20 vs the apple 20 but i don't know of any place that i can find them both.

Down take my advice, please compare for yourself and let me know what you think

Take care

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002

I have three options:
3. Get two 17"

I do mainly basic stuff and a little bit of Final Cut Pro work and PhotoShop (but just for school)

Thanks
P.S. This is kinda hypothetical, i'm not really sure right now, but i have the options, and later this year i know i'm gonna take one of them.

Get the 20''. The picture quality on the 20'' is much better than the 17''

JupiterZen

macrumors regular
Re: which display? i had the same question

Originally posted by spacepower
i am purchasing this week and although i drool over the 23 i think the 20 is better looking.

Sure your drooling didn't smudge the screen on the 23"?

I can hardly believe the 20" is better that the 23" (being HD and all). Maybe only because it's more current technology.

But I never saw them side by side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.