Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Do you think we'll ever see light/smaller notebooks then the Macbook 13.3"? Does everyone expect to have 13.3" macbook pro at sometime in the future? Frankly I would probably buy a macbook right now if they had it in the 12 inch size but say 3.5lbs or less..

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
No and no. The notebook family is complete. I don't see anymore additions coming to the present line.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
telegix said:
Do you think we'll ever see light/smaller notebooks then the Macbook 13.3"? Does everyone expect to have 13.3" macbook pro at sometime in the future? Frankly I would probably buy a macbook right now if they had it in the 12 inch size but say 3.5lbs or less..
I really wish they would, but I can't see it unfortunately.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
I`ll second(or should I say Fourth:p ) all three posters.

Though there was a rumor bout such a thing, But nothing much was heard bout it since then

marchcapital

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
Canada
now i wish i had kept my ibook g4.

EDIT: although, when apple gets their act together and fixes the heat issues with the macbook i plan to buy one. OH, and only if they offer it with the option to have a matte finished screen.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
marchcapital said:
now i wish i had kept my ibook g4.

EDIT: although, when apple gets their act together and fixes the heat issues with the macbook i plan to buy one. OH, and only if they offer it with the option to have a matte finished screen.

I myself had doubts bout glossy screens. But once I saw one in person there is just bout no way I`ll go back to the matte finish iBook`s screen. Try one and see the difference

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I think matte laptop screens will be filtered out. With the revision of the mbp I expect only glossy screens.

I don't expect a 13.3 inch mbp. I think the laptop lineup is complete. Yes, if you want a smaller computer with pro capabilities, you basically have to go to the 15 inch, but that's the way it has to work. POSSIBLY a tablet mac, but that's the only addition I can even consider them adding.

marchcapital

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
Canada
vikas soni said:
I myself had doubts bout glossy screens. But once I saw one in person there is just bout no way I`ll go back to the matte finish iBook`s screen. Try one and see the difference

how do u find the glare. i know with my friends hp laptop i can use the screen to style my hair while paying bills online.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
i have to say the speed is nice but that fact has

1)Glossy Screen
2)IIG Card
3)Heavyer then my iBook G4
4) 13'' screen is really to big for my needs(a quick and portable for on the go)

Will force me to keep my iBook G4(and the fact its as bought in Dec 05)

But now i'm looking at a iMac or Mac Mini +ACD(the IGG turn me off because i plan to play halo)

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
The MacBook is barely any bigger than the 12" 's. I really don't see the difference. It's JUST as portable.

direzz

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
in 5 years time if apple trys to make a computer less than 1 inch thin, ill jus shoot myself.

its apples ridiculous obsession with getting the mbp down to 1 inch that has caused it to be ridiculously hot.

why does a PRO laptop need to be that thin. unexcusable.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
direzz said:
in 5 years time if apple trys to make a computer less than 1 inch thin, ill jus shoot myself.

its apples ridiculous obsession with getting the mbp down to 1 inch that has caused it to be ridiculously hot.

why does a PRO laptop need to be that thin. unexcusable.
I think a better question would be:

Why would anyone want to carry around a notebook that was more than 1" thin?

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
marchcapital said:
how do u find the glare. i know with my friends hp laptop i can use the screen to style my hair while paying bills online.

Wow. you should be happy then. You get a FREE Mirror with the HP laptop:p :D .

I havent seen the HP Lappys in person, But I have seen the compaqs. I agree completely with you that those screens are crap. Way tooooo Glossy. The MB screen is glossy but not like the Compaq`s. It`s much better. Even when compared to iBook screens, the MB screen looks fantastic. Definitely a step ahead.

The only problem is when you take it outside things might be a lil hard to see under some circumstances. But then, I couldnt see anything at all on the iBook screen when outside. It was way too dim/dull. So bith are not good enough for outdoor use. And MB wins hands down when indoors.

So IMO it`s much better than the dull iBook one.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
calebjohnston said:
The MacBook is barely any bigger than the 12" 's. I really don't see the difference. It's JUST as portable.
True(ish) but I'm in the market and I'm comparing to a couple of VAIOs that I'd buy in a second if they ran OSX both beat the MB for portability and weight and one is practically like for like in the specs, albeit more expensive but I'm 'happy' to pay for the portability.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I'm more optimistic about the "MacBook Thin" than most of you are. A lot of people didn't expect to see the PowerBook 2400 line either (fantastic machines at the time). 12" screen, Core Solo at 1.6-1.8 GHz, ~.8" thick, maybe no FireWire, no Superdrive, 1 RAM slot, possibly using sub-2.5" hard drive (or drives, imagine a RAID array of let's say 4 micro drives such as used in the iPod Minis and Nanos). Doesn't seem so outrageous to me, in fact it seems a lot more likely than a tablet.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
HiRez said:
I'm more optimistic about the "MacBook Thin"...
I'm not bothered (within reason) how thick they make it more the footprint.

I'd be happy, over the moon in fact, if they made a notebook that was the width of the 12" PB with an 11½" 16:10 widescreen even it had to be thicker than an inch. It could be done at an inch thick but if they want to give it a bigger battery and use the extra room for a telecom card or TV tuner that'd be just fine too. I'll give them up to £1,500 for it.

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I started this thread a while ago.. After reading through them i've decided I should just buy a 12" powerbook.. The price on ebay is very good at this point.. They don't run hot, does everything I need it to and is small.. I need to travel with it and couldn't give a hoot about running windows at all.. It's also lighter and smaller then anything they have today..

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
Since Apple made it relatively easy to run XP on their hardware I'd really expected my next computer to be a Mac, but the weight, battey life, and glossy screen have really put me off. My four year old Gateway only weighs about 2 lbs by itself, and still weighs less than the Macbook when you throw in a dock with an optical drive and an extended battery. I really expected the Macbook to come in around the 4 lb. mark, like similar sized systems from Fujitsu, Sharp, and Sony.

Sorry for whining, I'm just venting my disappointment. I'm not planning on upgrading until the end of this year, so I'm still holding out a sliver of hope that Apple will release something a bit smaller by the time I'm ready to buy. I'm going to start a Masters in Fall of '07, so a Mac tablet by then would be much appreciated. :D

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I'd be sweet if Apple made a Macbook without a CD drive then beefed up the battery or added a second hard drive. You could install XP on the other drive with bootcamp and not worry about XP killing your Mac installation, not that it would on a single drive but still, mixing OS X and XP?

No no no :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.