Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Fashion question for all the MR crew.

I've been thinking for awhile about buying a nice watch for myself as a graduation present after grad school. I've seen a lot of hype about nice watches in the usual places like GQ, etc. which I'm sure are largely motivated by the nice-watch-making industry. So, my question to girls and guys here on MR is, how much do you actually notice what kind of watch a person has? I tend to take pretty good care of things; see: excessive care with Powerbook and Revo glasses, so I'm not worried so much about losing/trashing one.

Thanks for the feedback, and if there are suggestions or links to nice (but not ridiculously nice) watches I'd appreciate it too. Up to/around a grand is doable.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I think, personally, that it's more important not to have a bad watch. A middle-of-the-road semi-expensive smart looking watch will go largely unnoticed, but a tacky, cheap watch will most likely get noticed. I noticed someone wearing something that looked like it was straight out of a cracker a few days ago and I was positively stunned! :)

Of course, if you can find something really striking then that also gets noticed but for the right reasons. If you're like me, though, your watches probably pick up as many scratches and grazes as they go through life as you do, so it's best not to spend toooo much.

L

Lau

Personally for me, I would notice if someone had a nice, stylish watch, the same way that if someone's got nice shoes or a stylish t-shirt. However, I wouldn't notice if someone had an expensive watch, just that it looked good as part of their style.

A grand seems a lot to spend on a watch, but I can see why you would want to have a kind of heirloom type thing that you bought to commemorate an occasion like graduation.

What sort of styles do you like?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
faintember said:
I never notice what kind of watch a person is wearing (but i use my cell phone as a watch anyways).

If it matters i am a 25 male that has just finished my masters. My MB was my graduation present to myself.:D

Congrats on the masters, and the MB :)
I left off my personal description; I should add that I'm a 29 year old male, and the present is for a recently completed PhD (not that it matters, but it looks nice to write :cool: ).

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Lau said:
Personally for me, I would notice if someone had a nice, stylish watch, the same way that if someone's got nice shoes or a stylish t-shirt. However, I wouldn't notice if someone had an expensive watch, just that it looked good as part of their style.

A grand seems a lot to spend on a watch, but I can see why you would want to have a kind of heirloom type thing that you bought to commemorate an occasion like graduation.

What sort of styles do you like?

If money was no object, I'd get something like this: link. Here's a pic.

picture12nh.png

For around $1200 I've seen Tag Heuer's like this one:
picture14mg.png

I prefer ones that aren't too huge and shiny, more slim-line kind of profiles.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
gauchogolfer said:
Congrats on the masters, and the MB :)
I left off my personal description; I should add that I'm a 29 year old male, and the present is for a recently completed PhD (not that it matters, but it looks nice to write :cool: ).
Thanks and congrats to you as well! I am taking a year off before my PhD (i am somewhat insane after my masters).

When i did wear watches i always liked Swatch watches. Nice quality, reasonably priced and unique.

Good luck with your ensuing career!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Personally I wear on of these.

It's fairly subtle and a whole lot cheaper than a Tag! Until I bought it a few weeks back I was using my phone to tell the time too. It was getting really annoying having to take the phone out to check the time...

Suspended
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
I think it's more than being just noticed. In my opinion it offers one self a sense of well-being and self-satisfaction. I am planning to get myself an expensive watch after I complete my masters.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
It's always nice to have a good watch. :)

I recently parted with my Breitling Blackbird (Pic1, pic2) Great watch, recently updated too.

My personal favorites are the Omega Seamasters AquaTerra and Speedmaster. Or from Breitling, SuperOcean and Colt GMT. I have my eye on a second hand SuperOcean that's going for a nice price. Lovely watch.

superocean_1.jpg

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I don't wear a watch at all. I don't think that they're that important and I don't need a nice one to feel good about myself.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Extremely ....

Somebody with a nice expensive watch and clothes will likely have stuff worth stealing.

Grab the watch, grab the wallet -- then hit the house and car.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Y'know what? I wouldn't care what type of watch you wore, whether I was dating you or hiring you.

But I CAN tell you if you come to a job interview, and make sure that I see you flashing a fancy watch, or pointing out your $70K+ car, or telling me about your $20K home theatre system, your application goes to the bottom of the pile. Besides the academic qualifications, I am looking for good judgement.

Not that I mind if you have a $20K home theatre, or a good car, but bragging about it tells me a lot about your value system and (lack of) judgement of other people.

Get something that tells time and doesn't look naff. Budget $200-300.

And save the rest of the money toward something that will really make a difference.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
it all depends on how you dress. if you regularly wear business attire/suits, a good watch is important in the appearance. i have a decent/low end breitling watch i wear when i'm wearing a suit, but otherwise i hardly even wear a watch... wearing a $200 watch with a polo shirt looks kinda silly, IMO.

L

Lau

This is probably one of the nicest I've seen. Classic design. :)

watches_railway_A658.jpg

I don't personally wear one - they make my wrist feel funny, and I find if I wear one I worry about the time much more and I keep looking at the bloody thing. If I was to wear one, I would wear the above.

CanadaRAM's advice is good, in my opinion. Get a nice simple one. Good simple design is worth spending a bit more for, but I wouldn't say it's worth spending a grand on.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Spend a couple hundred at most. There are very nice watches in that price range that look just as good as the ones that cost $3000 (IMO).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Hmmmm......turns out I didn't hit "REPLY" last time.

Here's what I think in a nutshell: People will always notice an ugly watch, but nobody will notice a nice, all-metallic, expensive watch because they all look the same to the large majority of people out there. When people see someone wearing a watch with a completely metallic body, the price could range from $100 to several thousand $$$, and nobody could tell what's what.

Having said that, people always ask me what sort of watch I have, and when I tell them it's a Tissot, they always say, "Wow, it must have been expensive." Um.....not expensive, but not cheap either.........around US $500. :p The reason I get asked is because it stands out. The watch has a metallic body, a brown leather watchband, and a shiny reflective blue face. People think it's expensive because they know that cheap watches are just crap, and the mid-range to expensive watches generally have metallic bodies and watchbands. They look similar, and anything that stands out must be even MORE expensive. ;)

THe original watchband was a blue, non-leather band, but it broke after 2 years and instead of paying $130 US to replace it, I decided to buy a $10 leather band. Here's what it looks like now:

Attachments

• IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 315

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I don't wear a watch personally anymore, I have no need for one and always use my phone or my computer. I'm not very good at time keeping anyway :eek:. However, if I were to wear a watch it would have to be a relatively nice one. Spending £1000 isn't my idea of a nice on though, I'd consider a couple of hundred max for a watch. Something that's subtle and looks good. Spending more than about £200 on anything that isn't either furniture or a gadget just isn't my thing!!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
My watch is a £20 effort from Next – I think that's probably the most I've ever paid for one. It looks fine to me and to be honest I would be a little nervous about wearing anything too pricey... my watches have a tendency to suffer, ahem, unfortunate accidents. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.