Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewheard

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I am thinking of buying an Apple Developper Connection membership (for students) and I noticed that you supposedly get a discount on hardware. Could anyone tell me what the discount is for iMacs?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
andrewheard said:
I am thinking of buying an Apple Developper Connection membership (for students) and I noticed that you supposedly get a discount on hardware. Could anyone tell me what the discount is for iMacs?

It's rougly 20% off the normal price. For student ADC members you can only do this once per lifetime and only one system. I believe normal ADC members ($500 or so a year) are allowed to use this discount once per year.

andrewheard

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the replies. Before when I was looking for the developer store I accidentally selected Premiere and it asked me for a login so I gave up. The iMac is only $50 less than it would be with my educational discount plus I'd have to fork out for the membership. I guess I won't bother. Now if I decided on a MacBook Pro then I'd get some big savings ($135CDN net) but I'd seem kinda weird using a laptop for notes at my high school.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Are you in Grade 11 or 12? I had my Powerbook in high school and it wasn't really weird at all and if anything, people were jealous. Also worked great in really boring classes. I'd get the MBP, especially since you would likely continue to use it at college like I have done.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
I have a student ADC membership so I can buy the Mother of All PowerMacs (tm) when they're available. :D If the pricing is similar to the current PMs then it'll be something like $600 in savings. Worth it, I think.

Plus you got a copy of Tiger with the membership and a t-shirt (!) so it was all good. Now I just need the Intel PMs to come out. ;)

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Sorry to bump an old thread but can anyone tell me how I find the UK pricing's on this scheme? I could be tempted to sign up for a new MB or MBP

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
Go here and click on "Europe." It looks like they're saying you'd have to speak to someone over the phone to find out what the discount is.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Abulia said:
I have a student ADC membership so I can buy the Mother of All PowerMacs (tm) when they're available. :D If the pricing is similar to the current PMs then it'll be something like $600 in savings. Worth it, I think.

Plus you got a copy of Tiger with the membership and a t-shirt (!) so it was all good. Now I just need the Intel PMs to come out. ;)

you get any new software (OS) released during your year subscription.

so if 10.5 is released, you get a fresh copy for free.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Sdashiki said:
you get any new software (OS) released during your year subscription.

so if 10.5 is released, you get a fresh copy for free.

I always meant to find out when copies are sent out to ADC members. Did those who were members when 10.4 Tiger was released get their copies before release, or was it a significant time after the official release date?

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2005
England
I believe you get a download k to get it. I'm not sure if beta copies are available to students - I guess not (unless you join the leopard developer thing like the panther/tiger equivalents for like $500). But once the final version is on sale you can download it form the ADC site.

Uber

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
NATO said:
I always meant to find out when copies are sent out to ADC members. Did those who were members when 10.4 Tiger was released get their copies before release, or was it a significant time after the official release date?
It was about 2-3 weeks after the official release date, as I recall. Definitely not before.

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
NATO said:
Were you told you were getting it in advance, or did it just turn up one day?

They sent this email after they sent upgrade version. I remember that the disc arrived in the mail the same day I got the email.

Dear ADC Mailing Recipient,

By now you have probably received your May monthly mailing which
includes the Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger Upgrade DVD. Please know that we
are also sending the Mac OS X Tiger User Install DVD in your June
monthly mailing, which is scheduled to ship the week of May 23.

In the meantime, for your convenience we have given you access to
download Tiger Build 8A428 from the ADC Member Site. This is the
same build as the Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger User Install DVD that will be
in your June mailing and is the same build as the Mac OS X Tiger
commercial product that is shipping to customers.

<snip>

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Wow, that's pretty impressive. I like the fact you could download the current build also, rather than waiting for the mailing to arrive. I'm always pretty keen to get my hands on the latest OS as soon as its available, rather than having to wait for weeks after the official public release.

This is for Student ADC Membership btw?

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
NATO said:
This is for Student ADC Membership btw?
Yep, just the standard $99USD/year deal. Add in the hardware discount, and the membership totally pays for itself and then some.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
therevolution said:
Yep, just the standard $99USD/year deal. Add in the hardware discount, and the membership totally pays for itself and then some.

Only of course if you buy a more expensive machine.

Minis, and most iMac configs arent worth it.

id wait to use it on a MacPro

:rolleyes:

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Sdashiki said:
Only of course if you buy a more expensive machine.

Minis, and most iMac configs arent worth it.

id wait to use it on a MacPro

:rolleyes:

Exactly. I used mine to get a loaded Dual 2.7, Geforce 6800 Ultra and a 23 ACD. Saved well over a $1000, and got two free copies of Tiger, and a couple t-shirts. Cool stuff all around.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Abulia said:

GRRRR! I never got any T-shirt! :mad: But I got Panther OS X for free (in 2003) heh. That was a while ago. I saved approx. 1,000 dollars when I purchased High-End G4 powermac and 2 17" display monitors back in 2003 RIGHT before they announced G5! Total was 5000 subtract 1,000 is approx. 4,000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.