Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenjeens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
California
Hi all,

Any ideas how easily to create and manage a seperate MP3 iTunes library?

I keep my 175 GB Apple Lossles itunes library on a seperate, external FW 250 GB drive. Just go through creating a schedualed backup to another 400Gb hard drive, in order to keep my Library of songs safe.

What I want to do is create a brand new empty itunes library on another 20GB partition of he 400GB HD. This itunes library would contain compressed either AAC/ or more likely MP3 songs, so I don't have songs listed in multiple formats in my main itunes. Should be easier to organize and burn MP3 disks for the car and ipod playlists. Locating these files on a seperate volume will also prevent the added space and unneeded duplication when the backup software (Super Duper) runs.

-
Thanks,
Dave

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
How about this? Convert the songs you want into MP3 or AAC (preferably without iTunes) and save them in a meaningful folder structure on that 20GB partition. Then open iTunes, set its preferences so that it does not copy files when files are imported. Then start importing your AAC/MP3 files.

MacSawdust

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2002
Or

Pile them all into iTunes and create a Smart Playlist with "Song Type" set to MP3. You can then search/browse this list to make playlists. Adding the MP3s to your backup routine should not significantly add to the overall backup size.

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
Library Manager

Back when I did the same thing you are doing, I used something called iTunes Library Manager from Doug's Applescripts for iTunes. The script worked fine, but it got to be a big hassle. I was always missing tracks from one library or another. Then when I got my shuffle, it didn't matter because the shuffle has automatic downsampling. Regardless, here is a link for an X version of the script. http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/ituneslibrarymanager.php

I know that I am not the only person who wishes Apple would put the downsampling feature on all of the iPods.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
rick6502 said:
... Then when I got my shuffle, it didn't matter because the shuffle has automatic downsampling.

I know that I am not the only person who wishes Apple would put the downsampling feature on all of the iPods.
What do you mean by downsampling? When you upload your playlist with AIFF or ALAC songs to Shuttle, does it automatically convert them into AAC before saving them?

Greenjeens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
California
rick6502 said:
Back when I did the same thing you are doing, I used something called iTunes Library Manager from Doug's Applescripts for iTunes. The script worked fine, but it got to be a big hassle. I was always missing tracks from one library or another. Then when I got my shuffle, it didn't matter because the shuffle has automatic downsampling. Regardless, here is a link for an X version of the script. http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/ituneslibrarymanager.php

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact I have been exploring various scripts and actually bought Dougs itunes Library manager. I have yet to set it up. It's almost like I am trading one type of complexity for another.
That's good feedback about missing tracks from library to another, suspected there might be problems like this.

I get the theory of scripting, but on a practival level I'm in over my head. But like any new app, one needs to play with it for awhile.

Aha! Using the overlooked smart playlist rules might be a good tool and be much simpler. Selecting songs either above or below 360kbs filters the MP3 songs and AAC. I can leave extraneous codec types unchecked, and then filter those out. Will look at smart playlists further.

Perhaps creating two independant libraries is not as easy as using other available tools.

thanks everyone

Greenjeens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
California
theBB said:
How about this? Convert the songs you want into MP3 or AAC (preferably without iTunes) and save them in a meaningful folder structure on that 20GB partition. Then open iTunes, set its preferences so that it does not copy files when files are imported. Then start importing your AAC/MP3 files.

Thanks, I'm finding it difficult to figure out the intermediate required actions to carry out your concept. Seems a bit beyond my skill level.
Any detailed instructions somewhere? If not, it's probably not worth the effort trying to explain in detail.
I don't get the part about converting without itunes? What other tool would I use to convert all my libray to MP3? An example for a meaningful folder structure?
-
Thanks,
Dave

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
theBB said:
What do you mean by downsampling? When you upload your playlist with AIFF or ALAC songs to Shuttle, does it automatically convert them into AAC before saving them?

I don't know what it converts them into, but it does downsample them to a lower sampling frequency. Isn't that a nice feature?

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
Nice feature.

theBB said:

I don't know what it converts them into, but it does downsample them to a lower sampling frequency. Isn't that a nice feature?

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
MP3s for CD

I see that you want to put the MP3s on a CD for your car. What I do now, is it use another apple script called "Covert and Export." I select my tracks, run the script, then save the files in a folder. I then take those files and burn an mp3 CD using toast. Since an MP3 CD is just a kind of data CD, I image you could use the Finder also, but I haven't tried that myself.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Greenjeens said:
Thanks, I'm finding it difficult to figure out the intermediate required actions to carry out your concept. Seems a bit beyond my skill level.
Any detailed instructions somewhere? If not, it's probably not worth the effort trying to explain in detail.
I don't get the part about converting without itunes? What other tool would I use to convert all my libray to MP3? An example for a meaningful folder structure?
I found this tool through wikipedia:

http://sbooth.org/Max/

It seems like it can rip your CDs easily and convert existing files into other formats. It looked pretty easy to use with a nice Mac looking interface. It actually does FLAC as well, if you don't want to be stuck with Apple's proprietary lossless format.

What I meant by a meaningful folder structure was not anything complicated. Instead of dumping all of the MP3's into one or two folders, you can do something like:

artist_name/album_name/song1.mp3 etc.

However, I don't how to automate this process for your whole library. If you play around with Max, it may have some way of doing it. If you are planning to use these MP3 files just for your iPod, iTunes can sort them according to artist etc easily, so even if you dump all of them into a single folder and tell iTunes to import them it would not end of the world. I just like clean folder structures that's all.

I gotta be honest, I liked MacSawdust's "smart playlist" idea quite a bit. Why didn't I think of that? :)

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
rick6502 said:
I see that you want to put the MP3s on a CD for your car. What I do now, is it use another apple script called "Covert and Export." I select my tracks, run the script, then save the files in a folder. I then take those files and burn an mp3 CD using toast. Since an MP3 CD is just a kind of data CD, I image you could use the Finder also, but I haven't tried that myself.
Can't you just burn an MP3 CD through iTunes by setting "preferences->Advanced->Burning->Disc Format = MP3" ?

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
Yes, but

theBB said:
Can't you just burn an MP3 CD through iTunes by setting "preferences->Advanced->Burning->Disc Format = MP3" ?

While that is correct, it doesn't give you a lot of control over organization. For instance, if I want to burn all of my Pink Floyd albums onto a CD. I do what I said in the previous post, and then I place each album into a folder with the name of the album. That way they are grouped by album. To do that with several tracks in iTunes would involve much hand sorting by clicking and dragging and still they wouldn't be in folders. What does folders do? Rather than track 50, my car MP3 says album 5/track 12 (or whatever.) I know it's not much, but it makes me happy. Using iTunes would be fine for just grabbing a bunch of tracks and making a CD, but Toast offers more control over track layout.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I have played with the different scripts, but the easiest way that I have found is just to create a 2nd account called iPod on my Mac. Under that account, I imported all my lossless files in a compressed format. I just update it every so often from the recently added list in my main account.

Set your main account iTunes not to update your iPod, and then set the iPod account iTunes to update the iPod automatically. That way you can leave your iPod charging in the doc, and changing accounts will just update the iPod.

Works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.