Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
I've got a Windows XP Sp2 OEM disc. Will that work when installing Windows on Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro?

Also its a UK disc, and my MacBook Pro was bought in Hong Kong. Is there a region lock or anything on the OEM disc?

Thanks

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I bought Windows XP w/SP1 Professional from an online retailer, and they sent me an OEM copy of Windows XP, I thought OEM meant that it was a full install that came directly from Microsoft. There wasn't any enhanced/new/different software on it from a regular Windows XP Pro disc, actually there was nothing different about it at all. The Pro disc was shiny and reflective and was a real copy, but they called it OEM on the website and I think it said OEM on the disc.

EDIT: Wow on the front it says: "For distribution with new PC only." hmm.... never noticed that.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Apple.com BootCamp Info
A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)
Your doing it the right way.

Microsoft Windows Instillation OEMs are actually made by Microsoft, but are for Value Added Resellers. They are distributed by companies are a reduced cost to consumers so that they can afford a computer bundled with a Microsoft operating system. All I was doing was pointing out that OEM disks generally have restricted licensing. M$ advertises here, and the Software Piracy Police also advertise this site. I bet they hound the mods about threads also.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Eniregnat said:
Your doing it the right way.

Microsoft Windows Instillation OEMs are actually made by Microsoft, but are for Value Added Resellers. They are distributed by companies are a reduced cost to consumers so that they can afford a computer bundled with a Microsoft operating system. All I was doing was pointing out that OEM disks generally have restricted licensing. M$ advertises here, and the Software Piracy Police also advertise this site. I bet they hound the mods about threads also.
So is my software legal to have?
--Meaning XP since I bought it off the internet as an OEM?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Eniregnat said:
I bet they hound the mods about threads also.

It's none of my business, really, and it doesn't affect me practically, but out of curiosity, do these organizations actually make a practice of frequently contacting administration of forums in this regard (i.e. asking for moderation of threads in which piracy is being discussed)? Even with the trade secret issues, the legal counsel requests to delete discussions or information are relatively rare, as far as I know....

On MR, in my past experience, it's the forum members who do the policing and report piracy to the mods....

EDIT: Slookster, technically, the issue is that the seller on eBay doesn't have the legal right usually, with OEM software, to transfer it to you in the absence of the adjoining hardware -- that is, their license is to sell it to you as part of a computer. So the sale of eBay is questionably legal. But I don't understand technically how that impacts YOUR rights.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
mkrishnan said:
It's none of my business, really, and it doesn't affect me practically, but out of curiosity, do these organizations actually make a practice of frequently contacting administration of forums in this regard (i.e. asking for moderation of threads in which piracy is being discussed)? Even with the trade secret issues, the legal counsel requests to delete discussions or information are relatively rare, as far as I know....

On MR, in my past experience, it's the forum members who do the policing and report piracy to the mods....

EDIT: Slookster, technically, the issue is that the seller on eBay doesn't have the legal right usually, with OEM software, to transfer it to you in the absence of the adjoining hardware -- that is, their license is to sell it to you as part of a computer. So the sale of eBay is questionably legal. But I don't understand technically how that impacts YOUR rights.
Whoa, whoa whoa, why does everyone assume eBay, sorry it wasn't it was http://www.buysell101.com/ but I think their DN changed. I bought this from a website - NOT from an eBay seller.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
mkrishnan said:
Okay, I'm sorry about that. But it doesn't change my point.
True, oh well, it works, it's been verified by Microsoft and is Genuine so I guess that's all that matters.

EDIT: I have a Mac so who cares =P

deano97

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
ok, so I'm a little confused
A computer we bought the other year was a Fujitsu Siemens Computer. However, it seemed this was always going wrong, so we sent it back and got a mac.
However, with this computer we kept the 'Fujitsu Siemens Product Recovery CD-ROM Windows XP Home Edition-SP2.' Despite the fact that Fujitsu Siemens is stamped widely across the whole CD, will this OEM Siemens version work??

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
So you think it's worth a try? Or will it destroy my macbook pro?

Destroy your MBP? No, I don't think Microsoft are quite that evil. ;) :p

It will just refuse to install, that's all… Or it may work fine.

I know for a fact, because I have it running, that the OEM version of XP works fine… but I bought that from Amazon and it is not locked to any specific vendor…

B.I

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
About to download windows XP SP2... Will that work on Boot Camp for my MacBook Pro?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
About to download windows XP SP2... Will that work on Boot Camp for my MacBook Pro?
If you're on Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8), Boot Camp does not support XP. You can get around this by manually creating a bootable partition for the Windows install. Follow this guide. It says Vista, but the process will work for XP also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.