Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Is there a way to increase the menu bar size like the dock?? .. :confused: :confused:

Today, I had a customer @ work and asked me on how to increase the size of the Menu - Bar thats the only thing that the customer is deciding on to buy a Mac or not ..

So please help me out with this problem for a possible sale with warranty :D :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
That's a silly way to decide what computer to buy, but I'll answer anyway.

Apple doesn't provide a setting for this. Somebody may have written a utility to tinker with the menu bar look-and-feel, but I'm puzzled what the purpose would be.

Do they want it to have the magnification effect when the mouseover menu choices, just because it would look cool?

Do they want it taller with bigger text?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I know that if you use Quartz Debug to set the user interface resolution differently, the height of the menu bar changes from app to app, which suggests to me that, even if you can change it in the finder, it won't help as you toggle between apps.

If you change the default system font (and I forget how to do so), the menu bar height should change accordingly.

Or just reduce the resolution of the screen, and it'll look bigger. ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
jsw said:
If you change the default system font (and I forget how to do so), the menu bar height should change accordingly.
You don't know how to do that, jsw? Ha ha, that's something everyone should know. Oh wait, I don't know that either.

Now somebody else can post that information and make us both look foolish.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I don't know how to change the Menu Bar size. System Fonts, on the other hand, are a doddle to modify... Well, not really. Did it once and completely wrecked OSX. Never mind. :p

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
If your customer has trouble reading the menu bar, he probably has trouble seeing anything that small. Go to System Preferences > Monitors and dial the screen resolution back a notch. I've done this for several people with vision problems and they all prefer it.

You can also turn on the Zoom function under Universal Access (set to only a slight maximum zoom). I find that a nuisance, though.

ybouchard72

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
And this question will be more and more popular.... did you ever looked at a menu bar on a 27 inches iMac??? And on a 30 inches cinema display???

philipjj61

macrumors newbie
If you hold Command Option and scroll the wheel you get incremental zoom. Just got a 27" Quad and this is good for now. You need to make sure this hasn't been changed in system preferences/mouse settings for it to work, but a blessing, I also have centralize pointer activated which is a little tricky to operate but I'm sure if I can push my pet dinosaur out the way for long enough, I'll get used to it.
Phil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.