Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I came across an article in the New York Post (worst paper ever) on how Crumpler Bags in NYC is offering a deal where you can get certain bags for beer. According to the article and the owner of Crumpler, bartering beer for services is common in Australia. 12 cans of Guinness will get you a McBain messenger-style bag, and 12 cans of Sapporo and a bottle of soy sauce will get you a Moderate Embarrassment laptop bag. They'll take your picture at the time of bartering, and on June 11 you can return to help them finish the beer at a party!

Store is at 45 Spring St. and 49 Eighth Ave.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
I scoured the Post website for a link to the article, but couldn't find it. I wish my scanner were working, I'd scan the article as I cut it out. The story is called 'Bag Store Brew-haha' by Raakhee Mirchandani, and it was in June 3rd's paper.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Hmm... I think I'd be too tempted to drink a case of Leffe and a bottle of Chimay. Screw the bag!

That is a funky website though.

I was googling for the specific article, I guessed they would've put it on their website. Rupert Murdoch's Post website is just as misleading as his newspaper :D

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
yeah all the info is on their site.

and crumpler bags are freaking amazing. I have the Karachi outpost for my photo gear and i love it! its just perfect!

Messenguerilla

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2006
The beer promotion is an attempt to win back their original market, messengers. Most messengers won't use Crumpler with so many better options available, but it doesn't matter since they've expanded to any other kind of bag.

They do want to keep good with the community that made them popular, so when they suffered a backlash for going off-shore (professional messenger bags are not mass-produced) and started using cheap materials (Chickentex, Crumplers proprietory fabric, is a cheap imitation Cordura and frays easily, worse than other fakes) they noticed that not only were messengers not using their products, except in Australia, but were speaking out against Crumpler.

The beer promo is to try to win them back without improving the product line or leaving the factories in Vietnam that make their products with forced labour.

They're also trying to give the cheap bags to messenger races for free, funny thing is, they use them as trash bags at the events.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
while im your point is valid ( i have nothign saying your wrong ) i just know from my own personal use of the backpack i own, that i really like it a lot, it holds up very nicely.

not to mention the fact that it is very discreet and doesnt let the world know im walking around with almost $10K in camera equipment on my back. so for that. i love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.