Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has received word that Apple will be starting its Back-To-School promotion early this year. The promotion, which usually begins early-July, is rumored to offer a $179.00 rebate when students or teachers purchase a qualifying Mac and iPod. This would allow educational buyers to get a 2 GB Nano for free using educational pricing, or apply the discount on higher-priced iPods.

This information roughly parallels a recent ThinkSecret report also claiming that the promotion will begin on Monday. ThinkSecret, however, believes that the rebate will be $150.

Update: As rumored, Apple has announced its Back-To-School promotion. Qualified education individuals who buy a MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, or Power Mac G5 and an iPod will get up to $179 back after rebate. More details are available at Apple's site.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
If I just bought my Mac a few weeks ago...

If I just bought my MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, can I go to the Apple store and complain and get either $150 credit or a free Nano?

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I don't need a Nano, but if it was free... then, well, why not? It's pretty much guaranteed that the MacBook is one of the approved computers, right?

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
johnbro23 said:
If I just bought my MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, can I go to the Apple store and complain and get either $150 credit or a free Nano?

i wouldnt of thought so. You can always try i guess. I think there is a x day period where you can send your Mac back? or get whatever has come out, but i thought that was hardware/software related only.

:confused:

epicwelshman said:
I don't need a Nano, but if it was free... then, well, why not? It's pretty much guaranteed that the MacBook is one of the approved computers, right?

get the Nano, sell on ebay :cool:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
d'oh, just bought a macbook and missed this one. :( Oh well; my ibook's HD died 2 days ago, and if I'd waited for this, I would have lost all my data. So it's better this way. :eek:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
epicwelshman said:

I wouldn't be so sure. I think at times Apple doesnt offer specials on new computers, but surely Apple realizes that the MacBook is the best computer for "back to school" and would like to encourage sales of it as much as possible.

rimrocka07011

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I'm not in the market for a new computer (unless Merom is introduced in a carbon fiber MBP and compels me enough to sell my current MBP on eBay :D ), but I wonder if Apple will come out with the long awaited "True Video iPod" during this promotion, or wait until October when the promotion is offer and introduce it. I'd like to buy my first iPod this summer, but I'm waiting for one with a touchscreen and a larger HD.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2006
Yes!! I like this. I hope the rebate lasts a while or I can save it or something because I'm going to buy an MBP around August or September...

Go Apple. You rock...

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It's good that Apple is doing this again. It's great encouragement to any students in the market for a laptop. Who can resist a free iPod? :D

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
In the past has this sort of offer been USA only or spread out to international student stores in the UK etc? If they do it in the UK, then I’ll just bite the bullet and get a MacBook instead of waiting for this 64-bit crap I'm fed up hearing about.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
codo said:
In the past has this offer been USA only or spread out to international student stores in the UK etc? If they do it in the UK, then I’ll just bite the bullet and get a MacBook instead of waiting for this 64-bit crap I'm fed up hearing about.

Last year's Student Union promo was also valid in Canada, and I believe there was a similar (though not identical) promo in the UK that started in early August. I believe Australia also has a promo like this that is timed for their educational buying season.

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
WildCowboy said:
Last year's Student Union promo was also valid in Canada, and I believe there was a similar (though not identical) promo in the UK that started in early August. I believe Australia also has a promo like this that is timed for their educational buying season.

Fab, thanks for that. I'll wait and see.

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
rimrocka07011 said:
I'm not in the market for a new computer (unless Merom is introduced in a carbon fiber MBP and compels me enough to sell my current MBP on eBay :D ), but I wonder if Apple will come out with the long awaited "True Video iPod" during this promotion, or wait until October when the promotion is offer and introduce it. I'd like to buy my first iPod this summer, but I'm waiting for one with a touchscreen and a larger HD.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Apple do this last year with the iPod Minis to clear out inventory and then the Nano came along shortly thereafter?

I mean, it's still a great deal for anyone looking to buy a new mac, but it could shed some light on things to come....

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
codo said:
In the past has this sort of offer been USA only or spread out to international student stores in the UK etc? If they do it in the UK, then I’ll just bite the bullet and get a MacBook instead of waiting for this 64-bit crap I'm fed up hearing about.
It was done last year in the UK. Since in the UK many students are not being assessed and not being awarded degrees maybe Apple can alter their marketing strategy :rolleyes:

Leoff

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
epicwelshman said:

So don't get the Nano. Use the rebate-certificate for a Video iPod.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm planning to buy an iMac within the next week or two. It's actually slightly cheaper to buy it tax-free on Amazon with the $100 rebate than to get it at the edu price from Apple. If they're doing this promotion though, I'll get it from Apple. I may sell the nano though, as I've already got a shuffle and two full-size iPods. I guess we'll find out tomorrow :).

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Nice to see this promo come back, I might take advantage of this in a few weeks..I want to wait until after WWDC to see what comes out.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
does anybody know if this stacks with the student developer discount? looking to buy a MBP using the dev discount, and a free ipod would be nice =)

rimrocka07011

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Cleveland, OH
joemama said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Apple do this last year with the iPod Minis to clear out inventory and then the Nano came along shortly thereafter?

I mean, it's still a great deal for anyone looking to buy a new mac, but it could shed some light on things to come....

Yea, Apple did this last year. Hopefully they won't do it again with their next-gen iPods...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Just curious, but in Australia, Apple resellers aren't allowed to sell things at an educational discount anymore. To get the discount, you need to buy from Apple's Website directly. Anyone else have this happen to them as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.