Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Just wondering if anyone is interested in modifying their PB 15 of MBP to fit a Hi Def display in there. I've had a bit of a look around and I am pretty sure this hasn't been done before (until now) - but I could be mistaken

If there is interest I'll post some pictures and information about how to.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Photo's

Hope this works - I don't use forums very often at all. These are just some screen shots taken a couple of minutes ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 25,601
  • IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 149,198
  • IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 18,532
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 21,696
  • IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 30,934

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Umm....

Why does that MacBook Pro say it's a 1GHz PowerPC G4?

Something smells funny....

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Details

What would you like to know? There is a great deal of ground to cover on this topic so what would you like to know first?

Around the middle to end of last year I got very sick and tired of waiting for Apple to release a Hi-Def PB. When I recieved a non working one as a gift I got to work trying to figure out if I could make one myself - there were afterall Hi-Def notebooks available but Apple didn't make one. I managed to source a Sharp panel from ebay that was from a Dell. Set me back AU $149- I recieved it and found 2 things (I only bought it as a project) the first was that the connector for the lvds cable was too big and that the display was a 15.4 not a 15.2 as fitted to PB's of the time. Some 8mths or more later and a great deal of mucking about and some very handy Apple anouncments it's almost finished and I'm about to embark on my next project of a 12" PB based tablet (I've gotten sick of waiting for those too.). So if your after more details on how to do it yourself let me know.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
vniow said:
Because its a Powerbook. Read the OP, it can be done for either.

Yeah, but this is a MacBook Pro:
attachment.php

saying that it's a 1GHz PowerPC G4.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
It's a frankenbook

It's a frankenbook as some friends have dubbed it. The machine itself is a G4 (Macbooks didn't exist when I started) With a MBP Display housing needed to accomodate the 15.4" LCD rather than a 15.2".

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
baxterbrittle said:
It's a frankenbook as some friends have dubbed it. The machine itself is a G4 (Macbooks didn't exist when I started) With a MBP Display housing needed to accomodate the 15.4" LCD rather than a 15.2".

Ahh...

Now it makes sense. It's cool but I don't know if I'd want to pull apart two computers and buy a screen to do it. Kudos though, HD laptops would be an awesome addition to the line.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
baxterbrittle said:

So it doesn't close right? :confused:

And where is that panel from?

How?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
The display closes fine but... the screen is wider than the base and due to there being 2 latches rather than 1 it doesn't latch. This can be fixed however and would cause no issues whatsoever for MBP users because you'd replace a like for like panel.

Having said that I also couldn't care less that the screen is bigger than the body because I use a computer when it's open and you can't notice like that and when you've got this much screen realestate 1.1 MP v 2.3 MP I cannot see any real complaints. The machine was free and I only had to modify 1 machine not 2. When I got it the screen was cracked so why not replace the screen with this one rather than the very overpriced standard one.

With the right parts this mod can be performed in a couple of hours, costs very little, couple of hundred and makes for a very unique machine. Plus having a 23" cinema in your bag is certainly a very handy thing.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
baxterbrittle said:
With the right parts this mod can be performed in a couple of hours, costs very little, couple of hundred and makes for a very unique machine. Plus having a 23" cinema in your bag is certainly a very handy thing.

Care to elaborate?

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
More info

blaskillet4 said:
Care to elaborate?

This display is the same resolution as a 23" Cinema display.

You need a panel, MBP housings, and an lvds cable from the last gen 15" PB (A MBP cable will probably also work). You don't need to cut anything or damage your machine - completely reversable just assemble.

Oh depending on the panel you get there may be some little metal tabs that need to be removed. Pretty easy but I had to wait for Apple to bring out the new PB's (the last ones) in order to get a cable and had to wait six weeks for Apple to ship it (it takes them ages to ship parts for new machines). The display just plugs in and works! Then after trying to mod the exsisting housing Apple released the MBP and after another six week wait I got one of those. Put it together and bobs your uncle. There are a couple of other things to do, you'll need some spacers on the hinges for it to close properly and I still need to figure out a latch.

Oh and if anyone knows the pinout arrangement for the built in isight I would be very appreciative.

ChrisRC

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2005
Chicago
That's really impressive, Baxter. I have neither the testicular fortitude nor the skill necessary to attempt such a modification, but I commend your work nonetheless. Thanks for the photos/information. :)

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
baxterbrittle said:

That would explain the indented keyboard :)

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
wickedG35 said:
That would explain the indented keyboard :)

No actually there is nothing wrong with the keyboard - the keyboard isn't at present screwed in properly. There are some very very tiny screws that hold the keyboard in place that have a very thin head and were unfortunatly lost prior to my ownership - Iwas going to order some today but was too busy. Thanks for your good for nothing comment.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
wickedG35 said:
Perhaps I was a bit too harsh. I must realize that we ALL can't have macbook pro's. =)

carry on...

Nooo we can't - that's why I have a QUAD geez I guess we can't all have quads now can we? Now this is turning into a pi**ing match isn't it? Wanna race em? Hedge your bets, oh no thats right yours can run windows - you must be very excited to use the operating system that we've hated for all these years! For ages people have been bitching and moaning about Apple not releasing a High Definition laptop and I am prepared to make one myself and inform others how to do so and this is what I get - some guy who takes so much pride in his fat overweight laptop that he can't see the point. So let me ask you this - Why get the 17" MBP when you can have a 15" cheaper and minus firewire 800 is fuctionally identical apart from being too unwieldily to actually use as a laptop.... Maybe it was the screen size? Hmmm just maybe? End

Unfortunatly I can test the battery because A) The laptop has been inpieces for many a moon thus would have made the already old battery fairly rubbish but it was stolen by a very stupid person who managed to break into my house and take amongst other things my laptop battery but not the matching laptop. However having said that it's useing the same inverter board which powers the display so I'd imagine battery life to be quite similar to the standard screen.

Gokhan said:
would th?s work ?n a 1ghz t?ttanu?m powerbook g4 ?f so how ???

Unfortunatly I'm unaware of a way of getting it to work with a TiBook. There are too many difficulties in making it work I suspect. Biggest problem I see is getting a cable for it - the video connector on a Ti is quite different to a PB and unless you fabricated one I don't think it would work. Then you'd need to figure out a casing etc... But if anyone has any info I'd be willing to experiment - I have a DVI Ti that most of the time don't mind pulling apart but I don't have any pinout info to start from.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
okay, so my interest is totally piqued now.

i don't know much about replacement lcd panels, but did you have to do much in order for it to work? is the connection between the display and the computer universal, or are there differences between brands?

i'd like a little bit more info on the process please.

thanks

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Haha, understand that out skepticism was based on the frankenmac pics..Im looking at this machine, running some strange resolution, that has an isignt and MBP top, the the old power connector, and it was too much to take in..LOL!

Very nice work; I want to try it! Care to elaborate some more specific details as to what I need to get this thing going? Do you have the PN of the LCD you used, etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.